homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » OS X 10.5 Backups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OS X 10.5 Backups
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 23, 2008 00:45      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought a 1TB Western Digital Firewire drive for backing up my iMac's 320GB Drive + an external 160GB drive that contains my iTunes Library. I've heard mixed info about Time Machine. Does Time Machine do a full backup? I have a copy of ProSoft Data Backup that came with another external drive but it is version 2.1 (it's up to ver 3.x). The new Western Digital Drive came with backup software too called Anywhere Backup. Which should I use?
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 01:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time machine seems very nice, very easy to use, and it makes avoiding the most common cause of backup failure† easy - but you never know how good a backup is until you need to restore a totally b0rked disk, and I've been lucky so far.

Being a registered paranoid when it comes to backups, I also do an occasional Carbon Copy Cloner full disk image, just in case.

† - the most common cause of backup failure is... not doing one.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 05:59      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had any problems with Time machine either. It does back everything up. Pretty easy to use too.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 08:12      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time Machine is amazing; I love it. People's main complaint with it is that it doesn't make a bootable backup disk - if you have a total hard drive failure, you can't just start up from your TM volume. You have to start up from your Leopard disk and clone it to a new drive. But it's well worth it to have incremental backup that's so well integrated into the OS
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 08:13      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time machine it is then! Thanks!
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 08:35      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with TFD re: Carbon Copy Cloner. It does a wonderful job of creating a full bootable clone, and it's free. Still being at 10.4.11 I have no real world experience with Time Machine. My suggestion, though, is to go with Time Machine for the incremental backups and CCC for creating bootable clones (assuming you have the HDD space). That way, if your drive gets borked you have both a bootable clone, negating the need for endless update/reboot cycles and you have the latest copies of all your data.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 23, 2008 09:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bootable backup is sooo great to have, especially when your harddrive dies and you have to do some work that needs doing *right away*. I know that one from experience.

As tweety typed, a Time Machine backup, plus a CCC or SuperDuper backup, is a great idea. And keep a second bootable backup offsite, and change them out every couple of weeks.

(heh, I wish I'd follow my own advice. [Razz] )

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 20:56      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok also cloning the Startup Disk with Carbon Copy Cloner!
Thanks!

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 12:43      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've said before.... (and you are probably all bored of hearing me say it)

Time Machine is great for making sure you can always retrieve earlier versions of individual files or folders, without any real effort.

Carbon Copy Cloner is great for making a bootable copy of your system on an external HDD. If your internal HDD goes tits-up you can just boot from the external drive and you are working again within minutes. And don't forget - you can't restore a full system from your Time Machine if the main HDD is completely dead.

So yeah, the ideal solution for me is to do both. I try to CCC once a month or so, and at least before any system updates.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dick Moore
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 13279

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2008 19:23      Profile for Dick Moore   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use and highly recommend SuperDuper! To the best of my knowledge, nothing is faster or more stable.
NovemberMoon
Newbie Larva
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 07:36      Profile for NovemberMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bibo:
[QB] I just bought a 1TB Western Digital Firewire drive for backing up my iMac's 320GB Drive + an external 160GB drive that contains my iTunes Library. I've heard mixed info about Time Machine.

I'm doing full backups of my MacBookPro hard drive on a Western Digital Passeport drive, using the previous version of Time machine, the backup software provided by Apple, simply called Backup. And I have had to use that backup, and all things were just fine. I trust both products - the WD and the software. Good luck with your backups.

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 10:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NovemberMoon: Time Machine is not v2.0 of anything...it's a fundamental change in the model of backup software - it copies your files quite often, letting you easily pick from a variety of dates. That is...it lets you step back in time and get the files as they were on that date.

For the end user, this is arguably a very convenient thing. I'm a grumpy sysadmin and think it's probably far too much eye candy, and want a good old fashioned backup. However, TFD's point gets at the heart of it - it solves the critical issue of not making backups at all by making it mindless to do.

I would like to stress one very important point about backups - please try to keep a backup copy /somewhere else/...somewhere that isn't right besides the computer.

If someone steals your computer and your backup drive is right there, they might just take it as well, figuring it's worth some amount of money. (Usually it's just about $$, not maliciously seeking to steal your data.) I've seen it happen -- a few years ago, I knew someone who religiously backed up all her files onto a Zip disk, and never ejected it. When the computer was stolen, her absolutely perfect backup copy walked as well. [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NovemberMoon
Newbie Larva
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 11:03      Profile for NovemberMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dragonman97:
[QB] NovemberMoon: Time Machine is not v2.0 of anything...

Oups, sorry. I honestly thought Time Machine was just a new release of Backup. Duh! Thank you for straightening that. I should really take a good look at it.
As for storing backups, yes, please, get those backups out of your home or workplace. I keep mine in the trunk of my car. What are the odds of having home, office AND car burglarized or burnt down at once!
A few years ago, just a week from holding aconvention, our offices were evacuated (the building was about to collapse due to structural damages) and we were without access to all our computers for months. We held that convention thanks to a set of backups stored in a different location. We showed up at the computer store with that set of backups, put them on new computers and were up and running again. The convention logistics had taken months and many meetings of steering committee, etc. Lots of human and financial ressources had gone into that. About 350 people attended. And it was a big success. After that incident, I never had any problems justifying the buy of new software, or upgrades, or equipment for backups! lol

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 13:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

As for storing backups, yes, please, get those backups out of your home or workplace. I keep mine in the trunk of my car. What are the odds of having home, office AND car burglarized or burnt down at once!

*Really* bad idea, unless your backups are encrypted.

7 out of 10† corporate data loss stories you read in the news involve the backup tapes being stolen from a vehicle.

† Like all good statistics, I made that one up, but it's based on real stories. It may be a bit higher or lower, but not by much.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NovemberMoon
Newbie Larva
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 16:17      Profile for NovemberMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dragonman97:
[QB]

*Really* bad idea, unless your backups are encrypted.

Of course encrypted is safer, and that applies no matter WHERE you keep them.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2008 17:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True...and I'm not trying to knock things, but I don't want to encourage people to risk data. Offsite backups, OTOH, are definitely a good thing. Encryption is all the better if there is any doubt in your mind about the security of the location.

P.S. Your replies would look a /lot/ better if you kept the closing tabs from UBB around the original post. [Smile] (i.e. {/qb}{/quote} [but with square brackets, not curlies])

P.P.S. To be sure that I'm not blowing smoke, here's a lovely example for our friends across the pond about what can happen if you have an unencrypted backup in your car:
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/news/Met-Office-confirms-theft-unencrypted-information-car/article-474058-detail/article.html

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture