homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Is It Possible To Beat The System?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is It Possible To Beat The System?
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 09:37      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking to increase the RAM in my 17" G4 Powerbook.

It came with 512MB which I bumped up to 1GB by adding another 512MB a couple of years ago. It's a 1.5GHz processor and somebody recommended a site that has the specific RAM I need (two 1GB chips for a 1.5GHz processor) but also RAM for a 1.67GHz processor. The price is a good bit less for the 1.67GHz chips.

They have pictures online and from what I gather the slots look identical. There is a little groove on the cards in my Powerbook but the two versions of the upgrades have the same slots.

Will the Powerbook reject the 1.67 memory? Will it explode?

Any advice welcomed!

Oh yeah, I have a link to the site to show the exact memory but is taht poo-poo'ed in here or is it OK to post links? (It's not my site or anything - if it was I'd just buy a pretty little MacBook Pro!)

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 10:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JD - go to crucial.com, do the system scan. It will tell you everything you need to know.

I have recently bought 4Gig RAM kits from them for my Intel iMac and Mrs Grummash's MacBook and I can recommend them very highly.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 10:21      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks! I'll check out the link.

Any thoughts on compatibility between the two types of RAM (as in, will the 1.67GHz RAM work OK in my 1.5GHz Powerbook)?

--------------------

Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 10:44      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Apple/support/powerbook and it looks to me like they both take 333MHz PC2700. But the 1.67GHz has note number 24. And that says

quote:
The computers indicated by this note number use 1.25-inch PC2700 (also called DDR333) DDR SDRAM SO-DIMMs.
So you might want to stick with the RAM made for the 1.5GHz computer

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 10:53      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that. It looks like they sell the same RAM from Apple themselves for each model of the 17' Powerbook.

This could be a good thing!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture