homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Guncon Mouse (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Guncon Mouse
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 14:07      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this technical drawing talk reminds me of Ashlar's Vellum. Wonder if they still exist?

Checked: they do!

I was still studying mechanical engineering back in the '90s, and learning AutoCAD and Catia at school, and using Vellum over summer. I found Vellum to be way more powerfull than AutoCAD, and easier than Catia. (Ok, easier, but not as powerfull - not quite the same targetted users.)

Did I mention Vellum ran - and still runs - on Macs? [Big Grin] It even does 3D surfacing; it was a bit shoddy then, but they must have improved in 10 years.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 14:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo wrote:
it was a bit shoddy then, but they must have improved in 10 years.

I offer up Windows Vista as proof that software doesn't necessarily improve just because 10 years went by. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 16:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ Stereo I was the guy that took the three D Math model to part as in "Art to Part"

http://www.ugjn.com/seekers.html

I still get calls from some companies that know I retired and want to have me come and help them with five axis Cavity mill.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 19:51      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
password you start your post off by saying
quote:
Originally posted by password:
here is where i get the info to say macs are slower than pcs

and then cruelly deny us the source of this useful knowledge, instead describing your PC. You then claim to be using Autocad to design your "Mech". To entertain other forum members, I'll repost the url of the file describing it, which you shared with us earlier. Here it is.

as for macs are slower than PCs? personal study. i know my home PC has a 2.7 GHz processor, and out of all the DUAL CORE processors in macs the highest i have encountered to date would be a 2.0 GHz processor, as admitted by a member of this forum in this very thread.
http://www.freewebs.com/patrickdodd/mech.pptx

Very impressive! I particularly admire the mastery of the technical skills and all round engineering know-how so clearly demonstrated in your elegant design for the hydraulic systems shown below:-

-

- and by the way the cutting edge CAD app you have used to design it is actually called Powerpoint.

And er... where do you get your info?

PS Seriously password you are a young kid who likes playing computer games, and dreaming about robots, ninjas, and other cool stuff. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm more than 40 years older than you, and not so very different. But just keep the mad sk1llz bullshit for your teenage friends, though you'd have to be lucky to fool even them. At the very least cover your tracks better next time!

to rebut your post. that was a basic sketch done in about 30 seconds. the whole powerpoint is just to give a basic idea. since that was posted i have developed and tested the first prototype, and have moved on to better design programs like autocad. and as a note. that was done in fireworks. not in powerpoint. only idiots design things in powerpoint.

--------------------
no my password is not username

password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 19:56      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, the internet deleted this part of my post:

the reason i said that the PCs are faster than macs are as follows: i have a PC with a 2.7 GHz single processor. to date the highest mac processor i have seen would be a 2.0 GHz DUAL CORE. also PCs can be overclocked, and i have a gig of ram.

--------------------
no my password is not username

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 20:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember children, make sure your data set is complete before jumping to conclusions. [Roll Eyes]

This is getting really boring really fast. The fact of the matter is I'm equally incompetent with OSX, Windows, and *nix. I use what gets the job done, with a strong preference towards what gets the job done without crashing.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted February 07, 2008 20:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
password wrote:
only idiots design things in powerpoint.

... and that really sums up middle management in most corporations.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2008 20:35      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by password:
the reason i said that the PCs are faster than macs are as follows: i have a PC with a 2.7 GHz single processor. to date the highest mac processor i have seen would be a 2.0 GHz DUAL CORE. also PCs can be overclocked, and i have a gig of ram.

I love this! Read it lots; it gets better each time.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 03:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ You are gettimg very defensive over a stinking computer. Before computers the arguments would have been Ford/Chevy.

You also are 1/4 as old as I am, I have more computer experience than you are old.

Your day is get up. go to school, go to the computer lab more class work and home get more computer time.

Some of this board go to work, and use a computer all day. They do not ever want to see the BSOD because that means up to the last hour of their work went away,

There is a big difference between liking one brand of OS, and using computers all day, haveing to sit in front of a tube and figure out why the test piece has that gouge in the face.
Why is the customers account showing withdraws when the bank is not open and that customer is not signed up for online banking. You want to see a mess go into a bank and there is construction equipment out front and they tell you "Our computers are down". Then the phone and cable company trucks start arriving. Or a good one in South East Michigan. A train derailed no big deal right. Except that A.T.& T. Verizon, Sprint, and Comcast all had buried cable along the tracks that got cut by the train. 911 service, phone, ISP and many commerce links were down for days. The railroad had the tracks back in service in a week, the phone companies spend weeks getting all of their cables fixed, or rerouted.

I do not care that my neighbors Ford is fast than our Chevy we are getting better milage.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 07:19      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
__________________________ Stereo I was the guy that took the three D Math model to part as in "Art to Part"

It would never comes to my mind to doubt your abilities, MoMan. I was only gently informing password that there are CAD (with "D" as in "design") softwares for the Mac.

I know all too well that when it comes to the fabrication side, no personnal computer solution - Mac OR PC - could ever come close to what higher end systems can do. Hey, I do have some engineering courses, after all; I know the difference! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 08:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh shit. Computers are tools. Hell if it did the job properly, I would take a chisel and a framing hammer and etch my work in a chunk of rock.

And computer numbers are about as useful as bragging about penis size. I would rather have smaller and reliable than big and defective any day.

Still don't mean I would buy a Mac though. [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 10:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________CommanderShroom _________________Stereo
You both have it right Computers are tools, to have to sit in front of one all day is TCB (taking care of business) SOHO Computers are just that they run on Winblows or The Mac OS and don't have much power. The high end stuff uses UNIX for a reason Mission Critical.

Stereo I was not trying to demean you or your accompishments, I failed out of enginneering at Michigan Tech when I ran into Calculus, How I ever learned Sperical Geometry still amazes me. Trig identitries still scare me. Did you go look at the UG Job Seekers site?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2008 11:57      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Stereo I was not trying to demean you or your accompishments, I failed out of enginneering at Michigan Tech when I ran into Calculus, How I ever learned Sperical Geometry still amazes me. Trig identitries still scare me. Did you go look at the UG Job Seekers site?

Ah, don't worry. I believe we just encountered a case of cross-misinterpretation.

As for the site, I looked quickly, but although those machines still amaze me, there's a reason I dropped out of mech. eng. and instead switched to comp. sci. And I don't regret that decision. Most of the time, anyway! [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2008 05:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Some one said Apple does not build a fast machine:

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Consider please that this machine with two 64bit paths would be near the power of the work station I used to draw car parts.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2008 09:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Password, I know that I ripped into you about your computer choices.

---------------------- Your Mech. I have been an adviser on some school projects, so here are a few hints. While hydraulic may look glamorous avoid if possible, one spill and you will be given a mop to clean up after your mech and then invited to leave. Use pneumatics I would recommend a storage tank that you can charge up before each run also a small battery driven compressor and a trolling motor battery will charge the tank, also use a schrader fitting so you could use a bicycle pump if all else fails.

Some events do not allow you to plug in, so make sure you can still recharge your batteries. It does not matter how far ahead you were if you run out of juice or power. Get some flow controls, so your robot does not throw things around, slow is good, when installing the flow controls put them in so that they control the exhaust rate from the cylinder not the in, better control in the long run.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture