homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Chat Server Hosting Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chat Server Hosting Issue
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 17:01      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would like to know if there is a free domain hosting website i can use to host a simple java telnet chat server i have. the reason for this question is that me and my friends are trying to make it connect across the world wide web, but because none of us have a public IP this is proving to be quite a problem. any suggestions?

--------------------
no my password is not username

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 19:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just connect to an IRC server and make your own channel.

If you don't know how, do a Google search and you'll find tons of documents on it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2008 20:10      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IRC is definitely one way to go. If there's just a few of you (2-4), you could also get a free Campfire account and use that (which has the advantage of no need to install software). Or if you're determined to use some crazy telnet thing then you could investigate DynDNS.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2008 18:13      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is Campfire exactly? their website makes it quite unclear, the particular reason that i am interested in the telnet idea, is because we are running all of this on school issued laptops that we are unable to install software on. the reason we can use telnet is that windows has a built in telnet client and we are using a simple server to chat.

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2008 18:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The page I linked to wasn't the home page. It explains what it is on the home page.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2008 20:46      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that seems like too much trouble, the system we have works for now, i was just looking for a way to make the system we have now work on a wan instead of just a lan.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 17:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming you're dealing with Windows systems, just install mIRC on your computer, then copy the executable to a USB drive. Plug that drive into a USB port on the school computer and run the executable. It will create .ini files and such and run just fine without being installed.

There's probably a similar app for Macs, but you'll have to hunt that down yourself.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2008 18:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not just use Gmail chat?

They added group chat a few weeks ago.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 17:35      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they have had group chat for over a month, it was just very difficult to find and utilize. we don't use GMAIL because it is blocked. the reason we are using a weird roundabout way in the first place is because most things are blocked. as for the #IRC i am considering it, but all the help sites i have visited have been... less than helpful. any suggestions would be appreciated (or a link to a good IRC help site.)

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 17:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
irchelp.org isn't helpful? That's a longtime standby.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2008 17:46      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this help is wonderful and all, but i am still cloudy as to how one would go about acquiring an IRC channel.

EDIT: i have just discovered that IRC is completely and utterly useless to me an my fellow compatriots (i like big words). the reason for this being it requires a windows firewall exception. this is one of the largest problems for us to begin with. so sorry steen but #IRC is a no go.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2008 15:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, this sounds like it's horribly insecure, but....
http://lifehacker.com/347098/create-disposable-chat-rooms-with-chatmaker

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture