homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Imaging positioning in LaTeX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Imaging positioning in LaTeX
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2008 08:34      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, so it's that time of year again and I have to hand in my dissertation. I'm having one minor issue with LaTeX that I can't seem to fix - it's sticking figures from one section into the text from the second (it's a very figure intensive document). So I'm wondering, is there any way I can force images to appear at the end of the section, before the new one starts?
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2008 13:24      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds peculiar. Are you using a weird graphics package?

Standard LaTeX lets you suggest where the image goes using
code:
\begin{figure}[H]

(assuming this is how you are placing your figures) - The H is for Here. You can also use T (top) B (bottom) or P (separate Page for all graphics floats).

Another thing to try is to place the figure code close to the text which refers to the figure.

UPDATE:
I just cut 'n' pasted this from a previous project, which has always worked for me:
code:
\usepackage{graphicx}

is in the preamble.
code:
Experimentation with available optics led to the use of a rudimentary system which is now described and is shown in Figure~\ref{emiss}.
%
\begin{figure}
\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=0.45\textwidth]{emiss.eps}%0.6\textwidth}
%\hspace{5cm}
\caption{Arrangement of optics for collection of emission IR spectra}
\label{emiss}
\end{center}
\end{figure}
%

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture