homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Creating Custom Toys: How best too do it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Creating Custom Toys: How best too do it?
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 10:00      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

I'm a big fan of the Ninja Turtles series. It's one of the ons that made me want too go out and create my own stuff, which I am slowly doing.

However, as a kid, I was never happy with the very terribly done 'Technodrome' toy that the company Platmates released. It was very poorly designed, and cheap looking.

With the focus on statues now-adays rather than toys, I've always wanted too build a better looking and more show accurate Technodrome than what we got officially.

Someone once told me there was some kind of foam that you could mold and then carve using some kind of exacto knife, but I forgot what it was called. If there is an easy method of sculpting this out, and then making it hard and durable enough for display, let me know [Smile] .

Later,
Neil

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 10:39      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than likely, if you are going to be working on single custom designs you may want to try the lost wax method.

Google search of the term

I would look to metal casting for the basics. I have seen where some people have created fantastic works from using lost wax and homemade pots. There are also kits for plastics that may be quite useful for you. I am not sure of any suppliers for this, but a google search may work out well for you.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 12:11      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an alternitive to sculpting would be to buy a 3D printer. that is if you have $5000 (USD) to dish out. its called the Desktop factory and is currently on the market

--------------------
no my password is not username

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2007 14:45      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have worked for a fair time in the past with the Wargames and SF Modelling fraternity - I can tell you that most of the professional master makers for "toy soldiers" (the metal ones tabletop players use) employ wire, milliput, an american product called "Green Stuff" apparently originally for plumbers, plasti-card and a variety of bits from whatever they spot as useful (broken clocks, old electronics parts etc etc.) then make moulds from these for casting in what is now called "lead free pewter"
This equally applies to various "scenics", buildings, vehicles and all the other stuff.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture