homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » A Method of Making Coffee Without Electricity, or as little as possible?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Method of Making Coffee Without Electricity, or as little as possible?
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 07:15      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings all,

The last time I asked the forums for advice that was related to my entrepreneurship endeavors, it was a few years ago, and the GC community was a big help.

I'm in a bit of a pickle, sort of. I have a business idea of offering a coffee service by my city's light rail stations (250,000 passengers per day). The whole idea comes from the fact that line ups at Tim Hortons, Second Cup, and Starbucks are too long, and rather a little expensive. My vision is to create a quick, easy, efficient, and cheap method of mass producing coffee so that people who are on their way to the train, or waiting for one, can quickly pick up a $1 cup of coffee.

Where the pickle comes in is that I want to save money on energy cost (and be green), as well as I want the business to be adaptable and mobile. I need a way to make hot coffee without energy. The alternative I am thinking of is possibly a modified propane burner that will heat up the water and then filter the the coffee through or what not. For the supply of water, that's a whole other issue, and I am looking for input on that as well. I am thinking of using spring water to make the coffee a little more 'fresh', rather than tap water most other places do.

Since GC is full of incredibly smart individuals, I figured we could put our heads together and tackle this obstacle!

What do you guys think?

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 03, 2007 08:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make the coffee nearby, and serve it via Coffee Babes™ and their travelling thermos bottles.

Thermos bottles rock.

btw, Coffee Babes™ is a trademark of Snaggy, as of this instant. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 08:19      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the kind of coffee urns/brewers used on canteen trucks, aren't they propane and portable?
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 08:37      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
btw, Coffee Babes™ is a trademark of Snaggy, as of this instant. [Razz]

I like the idea Snaggy, but I trademark "Coffee Chicks"

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 08:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameGod ________________________________ You actually have answered your own question.

1. Five gallon bottled water jugs, like used in watercoolers.

2. Propane fired water heater as used in motorhome and RV Campers.

3. Small trailer or cart that has the above and plenty of cups.

Gravity is your friend, the water will want to go down hill.

Look at how a Bunn unit works the cold water you pour in the top displaces the hot water that it just made or kept warm, thereby brewing the next pot.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 09:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffe bought on trains here come in two varieties. Premade coffee in coffee thermoses. This coffee is on the snack cart and is not very good. If the train has a restuarant car they have a dcent coffe maker (built in) and the coffe is good.

I would try to modify a nespresso, seaco, or jura automatic coffemaker to fit in a backpack type device. (or a frontpack if only one person works a train but I think you need two. The second person will wear a backpack with water, beans and other supllies.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 10:02      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a while ago, like 12 years ago, I remember seeing Starbucks selling coffee out in the streets with people carrying back-pack like thermoses, they looked happy and the sun was shining and people smiling. I think they were thinking the coffee was free tho, but they were charging for it (of course).

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I saw a documentary about coffee called "Black Gold", and as it turns out, coffee is baddie, the farmers that grow it are ripped off by the coffee corporations. Not to mention sun grown coffee and how it kills eco systems. I try to buy fair trade, bird friendly, shade grown coffee whenever possible. [Cool]

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 10:19      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hotties of Caffeine™

You saw it here first. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 13:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chicaccinos ™

If you want something better than pre-made coffee from a thermos, try coffee plungers and a big thermos of very hot water.

If the staff are sufficiently babe-alicious, no-one will complain that you can't make real cappuccinos in a plunger.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 14:28      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:

Not to be a spoil-sport, but I saw a documentary about coffee called "Black Gold", and as it turns out, coffee is baddie, the farmers that grow it are ripped off by the coffee corporations. Not to mention sun grown coffee and how it kills eco systems. I try to buy fair trade, bird friendly, shade grown coffee whenever possible. [Cool]

You Vegans have something against everything [Razz]

I can make the argument that I would be buying coffee from a fair trade supplier, and also the argument is that it is actually good for you. Two cups off coffee in the morning combined with exercise prevents skin cancer.

So Ha!

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2007 17:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameGod ______________________ Have you checked with the local board of health and license burough, you may have to jump through some legal hoops as well. The brick and morter store will want you to pay for their lost business.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2007 00:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameGod:
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:

You Vegans have something against everything [Razz]

I can make the argument that I would be buying coffee from a fair trade supplier, and also the argument is that it is actually good for you. Two cups off coffee in the morning combined with exercise prevents skin cancer.

So Ha!

Hate to nit pick but coffee is probably a cancer risk. It is because of the roasting of the beans. Most things that are burnt become cancer risks. The fire breaks apart stable molecules and releases all these free radicals that just want to bond with something, anything, and that turns out to be your DNA.

And don't let Nitrozac lord over you, organic no pesticide, loved for vegitables are shown to be more mutanagenic (cancer risk) than pesticide covered bio engineered vegitables. (via ames testing)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 09:13      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I love to lord over. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 10:20      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Hate to nit pick but coffee is probably a cancer risk. It is because of the roasting of the beans. Most things that are burnt become cancer risks. The fire breaks apart stable molecules and releases all these free radicals that just want to bond with something, anything, and that turns out to be your DNA.

Numerous studies that find coffee prevents some cancers.

But just wait another month for the complete opposite report, as most of these studies end up being.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2007 10:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Numerous studies that find coffee prevents some cancers.

But just wait another month for the complete opposite report, as most of these studies end up being.

why wait ames test
quote:
one cup of coffee (150 ml) was calculated to induce 3-4 × 106 AraR mutants. In contrast, coffee prepared from unroasted beans (green coffee) had no mutagenic activity. Regular- and sugar-roasted coffees showed similar mutagenicities, but the specific mutagenic activity of instant coffees (1559 AraR mutants/mg) was almost 2 times that of noninstant ones (834 AraR mutants/mg).

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 12:15      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I just can't believe that propane is necessarily more 'green' than electricity. I really don't think it would be more economic; where I live, electricity costs less per unit energy than does natural gas, and if I'm not much mistaken, propane.

Especially if you live in an area powered by a nuclear power plant. Think about it: The energy you would use to heat your water if you use electricity would produce essentially zero greenhouse gas emissions, ignoring what goes into mining. Even with the mining cost, you still come out ahead of a coal-fired power plant.

The only advantage I see to propane is that it's portable- you can set up anywhere you please and you'll be good to go. That could be very helpful in your situation.

How much power does a normal coffee-aparatus consume (I'm not a coffe nut (bean?), I don't really know what all goes into it)? You might could make a generator-bike and generate all your electricity that way. You'll get in shape, and it'll look cool!

Or you could set up a solar-brewer out in the sun, using mirrors and a black boiler to heat your water. Of course, this won't work every day, but it's probably the greenest way to go.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 09:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends __________________________ Depending on where one lives determines energy costs. Here in Michigan the state regulates Energy costs for Natural Gas, and Electricity, all other fuel costs are market driven. We live less than thirty miles from a series of hydro dams, however we still pay the same as the farthest out customers. That said a coffee maker uses a lot of electricity,

For GameGods purposes bottled propane would be the best choice for a mobile coffee stand, that could be taken to a train station. Brick and Morter stores Natural gas and or biofuel (weed pellets, not that kind of weed)

I have included link to a price calculator for some fuels.

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2007 09:49      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read Below Down there.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2007 09:51      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Maggs:

Setup a solar burner with electric toaster like ambers and put that under the pot. You could probably eek something out with that. Strip an old toaster for the coils, and work from there, you could place the coils under an aluminum grating, so the grating gets hot and boils the pot.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2007 14:28      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work out a way of making cold coffee hip and trendy.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2007 16:25      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Already is.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2007 18:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________________________ Some of you are missing the point. There is no outlet to plug into, he wants to set up at the train station. So it is generator or propane. There are 12Volt cash registers and Credit card readers. Just the problem of boiling large quantities of water off batteries, not really feasable.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2007 19:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about selling Self-Heating products ? Not sure how "green" they are though when it comes to recycling. They have Cocoa, Tea & Soup too.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture