homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » iPod Touch Opinions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: iPod Touch Opinions?
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2007 05:38      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I am coming to Boston in early December, I was considering getting an iPod while in the USA. The currency conversion can save me a full 100 Euros, since the U.S Dollar seems to be doing pretty badly at the moment.

I was quite impressed with the iPod touch from the promo-video and all that. (though, haven't seen it IRL).
But a whole bunch of reviews (audio quality, battery duration, screen issues) pointed to some not-so-pleasant properties of it.

What do you think? Is it a good iPod?

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2007 09:44      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/10th the storage of a regular iPod. I wouldn't get it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2007 10:12      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want WiFi web browsing, widescreen video playback and Youtube it's a nice choice.

I went with the 160 GB iPod classic though as my CD collection amounts to 112 GB+ (I've been collecting CDs since 1985). I can now carry my entire music collection! I upgraded from a 15 GB iPod.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 19, 2007 10:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Touch seems awesome, especially if screen issues are resolved soon, and if you don't need the Phone or Mail or full Calendar apps. At 16 gigs I wouldn't have a trouble with storage, 'cept for movies maybe, as my entire iTunes library is only about 4 gigs. And the WiFi and Safari would be very cool.

but as Jobs sayith, the Touch is "training wheels for the iPhone."

If it was me, I'd use the 100 Euros you save to get an iPhone, and hope that the unlock hackers keep ahead of Apple's updates. That's what I'm planning on doing at some point.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2007 10:25      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sold on the touch. The storage capacity and no-look operation of the classic trump youTube for me.

Hmm. Come to think of it, a kick in the nards nearly trumps youTube for me, so don't take my word for it [crazy]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2007 13:17      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The iPhone is a no-go for me - it's technially speaking simply not really good.
Fine, it has a really nice menu and a super bright screen. But it lacks UMTS (something that Europe is two years ahead in supporting that the USA) and a decent camera..
For the price, it's just too expensive and the capacity wouldn't be anywhere large enough.

I will definitely check the iPod touch out when I am there and see how it feels to me and if I want to spend the money on it. If not - the next generation of iPhone will be considered again, and the next gen iPod touch might just be what I need.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 20, 2007 13:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Walt's review...

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070920/apples-ipod-touch-is-a-beauty-of-a-player-short-on-battery-life/

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture