homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What would you consider the most embarrassing music to been seen on your iPod? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What would you consider the most embarrassing music to been seen on your iPod?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 16, 2007 21:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would make you cringe if it was on your music player?

for me, hmmmm... almost all of the Billboard top 10 of the last 15 years. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2007 22:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing makes me cringe... that's why I have a page on last.fm

All my crappy music is there to see [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2007 22:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a good time to confess that I used to have "The Wiggles Greatest Hits" on my iPod?

Fatherhood causes irreversable brain damage.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2007 22:38      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys suck! Thanks for the Barry Manilow comic after taking the poll. Yes I do have copacabana in my head now! [cry baby]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 06:00      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Country music. Any kind is bad, but newer is worse ever since country went pop.

Only an insidious computer virus could get that stuff into my collection.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 06:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... a virus/worm that rewrites random mp3s on your hard drive with low quality mp3s of crappy country songs... or bluegrass. Everyone loves banjos!

It wouldn't be hard to create.

... and having said that, I will now be blamed if anything of the sort ever does appear *chuckle*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Alexia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 11067

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted September 17, 2007 07:27      Profile for Alexia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....try a music from ze cabra, its the worst thing you will ever heard in your all life, trust me!

--------------------
Alexia

Posts: 3 | From: Portugal | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 17, 2007 09:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my actual little "guilty pleasures" collection, I'd never put any of the songs from Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" soundtrack CD on my iPod. (Yikes! I own a song sung by Céline! [blush] ) And then, there's this Brassens CD I bought because I mixed-up names. It's not that he's bad, he's just... let's say, playfully licentious. And just to top it up, I have a couple of cheesy 80's hairbands songs.

But music I'd be truly ashamed to find on my iPod, irregardless of how it got there? Well, you know how female singers who really can sing are called "voice singers?" (Or is it "vocal singers?" - In French: "chanteuses à voix".) I always wondered "to distinguish them from what other kind of singers?", then it hit me: it's to tell them apart from the bosom singers - those who have nice bodies but can't sing. CDs sell for their cover "art." You know what I mean. Well, any song from those bosom singers I would hate to find on my playlist. If they ever have a real good song, someone else will sing it for real at some point, so I'd rather wait for a good rendition.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 09:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bonnie Tyler. [shake head]

("...we're livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks... " Classic. )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 17, 2007 10:41      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The songs I've written. [blush]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 12:12      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I saw rap on my mp3 player I would cry.

Ummm probably most embarrassing song on there right now is "sugar sugar" by the Archies.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 13:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't cringe about any of the music I do like - from Chas 'n' Dave to the Flying Pickets.... but if any Motown found its way onto my iPod I would be mortified.

...and Stereo... I won't hear a word said against Georges Brassens - "Gare au Gorille" is a masterpiece, although I can only appreciate the words in the wonderful english version by Jake Thackeray.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wingless
Mini Geek
Member # 10751

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 16:25      Profile for Wingless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not embarrassed about any of my horrible music. Especially not the two English Sailormoon cds. >_>
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 16:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually own an iPod - or any mp3 player to be honest... but if my once heard never forgotten "Tredegar"(very very bad derivative 'rock') LP ever found its way out of the "trash vinyl" to any digital medium I would have to hang me head in shame...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 16:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait... I need to revise my answer. I do have something rather embarassing on my MP3 player, although it's not quite music.

A friend of mine who likes my voice just a little too well asked me to read a story and record it for her. The story turned out to be some slash fiction that she had written...

"Hermione asked if she could see his wand..."

Yeah... I'm not posting that one.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 11 posted September 17, 2007 20:38      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[URL=Insane Clown Posse - Neden Game]Rated R NC 17 [/URL]

I had this on my Zune and my sister heard it... mind you shes super religious, wow did the sparks fly after that. ROTFL

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 20:52      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hal9000:
[URL=Insane Clown Posse - Neden Game]Rated R NC 17 [/URL]

I had this on my Zune and my sister heard it... mind you shes super religious, wow did the sparks fly after that. ROTFL

Holy Crap someone owns a Zune!?! Shouldn't that be the embarrassing part? [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 20:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Wait... I need to revise my answer. I do have something rather embarassing on my MP3 player, although it's not quite music.

A friend of mine who likes my voice just a little too well asked me to read a story and record it for her. The story turned out to be some slash fiction that she had written...

I'm not sure who should be more embarassed about that one. You for allowing yourself to be recorded reading slash out loud, or her for writing slash in the first place...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 06:33      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

I'm not sure who should be more embarassed about that one. You for allowing yourself to be recorded reading slash out loud, or her for writing slash in the first place...
I think I've finally found a marketable use for my Australian accent .. great idea Steen [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 07:16      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
...and Stereo... I won't hear a word said against Georges Brassens - "Gare au Gorille" is a masterpiece, although I can only appreciate the words in the wonderful english version by Jake Thackeray.

Oh, I won't say anything bad about him. He is quite skilled with words, and sings reasonably well. It's just that many (most?) of his songs aren't exactly appropriate for young ears or unprepared mixed company.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 08:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:

I don't know which of us -should- be more embarassed, but I'm pretty certain she would be a lot more embarassed than I if she was identified as the author.

Nimbus 2000 broomsticks, magic spells that can transform people into ferrets and... Moaning Myrtle [Eek!]

I will never be able to read or watch another Harry Potter story the same way.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 15:43      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wilma Flintstone Tells the Story of Bambi

I hope no one ever catches me listening...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 18, 2007 18:36      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright.

Confession time.

I had virtually all of Barry Manilow's entire collection on my iPod.

But I'm not embarrassed. We Fanilows do not cringe.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2007 22:56      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANy hip-hop/rap in the past 15 years is well just really bad. I love all types of music but my least favorite is rap.

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2007 00:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
green day: dominated love slave

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture