homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Help with iTunes Registry Key

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with iTunes Registry Key
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 07:37      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Trend Micro PC-Cillin asked me a little while ago whether to allow or block changes made by iTunes. I inadvertantly clicked block. And now whenever I try to open iTunes, I get this message:

"Could not write value iTunes Helper to key \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

If anyone could let me know how to fix this, I would be so appreciative.

I have a Sony VAIO with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Thanks so much!

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 08:06      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with that brand of software but in the Trend Micro PC-Cillin menu there should be something which shows everything that it is blocking and allow you to unblock it. If there is not you might want to check there forums or something and see if someone all ready has answered your question. Sorry if I'm not much help.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 08:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, if no body else gives better advise, I would try a reinstall (iTunes)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 13:17      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there isn't any place to unblock that particular thing. And I tried reinstalling it.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2007 17:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! I'd love to not be running all that crap!

/me is quite annoyed at the services Apple installs - I don't have an iPod...I really don't need a 'helper' app/service running.

However, it's nowhere near as bad as Symantec & HP...

Oh, that my girlfriend didn't have Norton on her computer...adventures in Process Explorer are /always/ thrilling. And it has iTunes, and an HP printer driver. Trying to figure out which processes are which proves to be quite challenging.

Back to practical matters, you should try searching the registry for 'iTunesHelper' (or with space...just get it exactly right) and see if there's a blacklist entry from Trend Micro...and delete it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 09:00      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I "search the registry"? And what would a "backlist entry" look like? Thanks so much!!
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 07:51      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically PC-Cillin is blocking your iTunes app. It can't run properly because PC-Cillin is not allowing it to do anything to the registry. You need to tell PC-Cillin that iTunes is a trusted app, by taking it off the black list. How you do that? Review the application PC-Cillin and try to figure out where you can make it stop blocking the program.

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 12:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found this, enjoy
quote:

Do any of the following:

o Click Start >All Programs or Programs >Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 >Main Console.

o Double-click the PC-cillin icon on the Windows taskbar.

The main console appears.

2. Click Network Security on the left.

3. Click Personal Firewall on the right.

4. Go to the Profile Name section and click the profile being used. This is the profile that has an icon beside it.

5. Click Edit. The Edit Personal Firewall window appears.

6. Click the Exceptions tab.

And I also found this.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 12:10      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. [Smile]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture