homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » VB5 for Vista

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VB5 for Vista
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 13:23      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I've spent about 3 days searching, playing with InstallShield, doing all kinds of crazy crap and I can't seem to get an answer. Maybe one of my fellow geeks here will have one.

Has anyone had to convert a VB5 program over to work on Vista? Install Shield doesn't like it at all. I know Microsoft said they'd support 6.0, but my boss doesn't really want to upgrade, so we're stuck at VB5

Is this even possible?

/helpme /sadface

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 13:48      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, we're battling with Vista compatibility, but our codebase is mostly VB6 with some Java thrown in. I'm not directly involved yet, but I just heard today from our InstallShield guy that a number of our DLLs won't even register in Vista. So I guess take that as a sign that upgrading to VB6 probably wouldn't solve all your problems anyway. And upgrading to .NET is not something you just flip a switch for.

If only we'd built the product in C/C++ like a few of us advocated 8 years ago. I'm sure we'd have the first few pieces of the UI done by now [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 14:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VB6 should work on Vista. MS has even released a statement saying they support it there.

VB5, not so much in the supported category.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 16:30      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any problems with the IDE or any apps built in it. The differences between VB5 and VB6 are pretty minuscule, though, so I don't understand why they won't convert.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 17:30      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is not making the IDE run under Vista. The problem is making apps *built with* VB 5/6 run in Vista.

TSG, can you give us more details about what's not working?

--------------------
Ugh!

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 18:47      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you flipped the switch on compatibility mode to Win98/XP ?

You can always vmware it if it's absolutely necessary to run it. It's going to be sad when WINE will be needed to run legacy apps like DOSBOX is now for the majority of DOS games.

Reading into VB6 support, (source: http://blogs.msdn.com/davbosch/archive/2006/02/26/539470.aspx)
"Just to give you an example, in Windows Vista, they have done away with one of the most common statements used in VB6: SendKeys. All VB6 applications containing that cursed statement will just crash under MS new OS. "

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 05:45      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main problem is this: <<but I just heard today from our InstallShield guy that a number of our DLLs won't even register in Vista.>>

That, and I could manually try to register/unregister all the ocx/dll files needed for these programs but I was hoping to find a programmatic way to do it.

It's just...ugh. No one else wants to touch this. I'm only doing it by default.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 07:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What message do you get when installshield tries to register the OCX/DLL files?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 08:52      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Success!

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer.

I included the important DLL/OCX files in the setup.exe, and then manually copied the others. As it turns out, Vista isn't using ANY of the ones we use for this program, so I didn't have to overwrite a thing.

Used the setup.exe. Ran the program, it's up! it's up!

What a relief.

Y'all are awesome.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 09:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For future reference, our InstallShield guy is thinking that the DLLs that won't register were built on an NT box. We have two that won't register, both reeeeeally old. Once he tells me which two they are I'll rebuild them under XP and see if that helps.

Slack -- Thanks for the tip about SendKeys. I don't use that function myself, but Copernic tells me it's used in a lot of our other code. We do already have a workaround for "SendKeys {TAB}", which is apparently not supported in Win2000.

--------------------
Ugh!

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 18:41      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minorly off topic, but is it just me or is it REALLY odd and a bit annoying that Microsoft's decision on Vista to support: "Visual Basic 6.0, Visual FoxPro 9.0 and Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 with the Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista." So VS2003 is not supported, but a product made in 1998 is.. hrrm.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 19:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VB.Net isn't backwards compatible with VB6. WWhile there is an automated tool to do the conversion, it often doesn't work quite right and sometimes doesn't work at all. This makes the move from VB6 to VB.Net much more difficult than moving from Visual Studio 2003 to 2005.

That said, Microsoft was going to end support for VB6 and never support it on Vista. It's one thing to require developers to pay some money for an updated version that installs smoothly, but it's entirely different when you try to require an update that will break a significant percentage of their existing code. When they discovered just how many pissed off developers they had on their hands, Microsoft backed down and committed to making VB6 work on Vista.

When they're united, customers make your business decisions for you *shrug*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 00:14      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand your reasoning (and microsoft's) but at the business and developer's standpoint if you purchase a product then 2 years later Microsoft tells you "sorry you paid thousands of dollars on this product not to mention the programming time but now you need to use the new one, pay additional thousands of dollars (I'm not sure if there's an upgrade package) and potentially convert code from 2003 to 2005 VS so it properly runs on Vista with the service pack". Or, if you did it in VB5, you may have to rewrite it.

I never understood Microsoft's mentality, it's like push push the technology yet in the end they're just screwing the last generation... I know many OS's face this decision, it just seems windows likes to rewrite their entire system all the way down to the kernel every few years and STILL can't seem to perfect it. Yes I understand they're constnatly wallowing in their own past problems (compatibility layers and work arounds to cater for specific program's needs are constantly being implemented in windows) but you would think they would learn from the past set an ALL TIME standardization that has breathing space to GROW, you know, sit down and think (something they sort of missed when it came to registry implementation) and make a product that can stand on it's two feet long enough to evolve with technology. Yes I understand there's more money in how Microsoft does it but it just irritates the hell out of me they can't make a product and stick with it.

As noted on this interesting read (link: Working for the Man )
quote:
My Windows knowledge is now rather out of date, and getting more so over the years. It isn't worth my time anymore to keep up with each increasingly baroque change to the Windows environment. Just as an example, over this time the latest "hot" communication paradigm that Microsoft recommended developers use in Windows changed from NetBEUI, to NetDDE, then OLE, followed by OLE2, then COM, DCE/RPC, DCOM, and now currently seems to be Web Services (SOAP and the like). Meanwhile, in the UNIX world the Berkeley socket API was useful in the 1980's and is still the core of all communications frameworks in the open standards world. All the UNIX RPC, object and Web Service environments are built on that stable base. Learn as much about the proprietary environments as you need to be able to help people port programs over to open standards. You'll never be lost for work. The same is true of any proprietary environment, not just Windows.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture