homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » favorite car (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: favorite car
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 13:56      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its that wonderful time in any persons life where they want to add a new car to the family. What i'm looking for in the new car is that it is a standard automatic car which will be able to fit my large stature of 6.5 feet tall. I've been considering the honda civic, volkswagen jetta, and the mitsubishi lancer. Does anyone have any recomendations upon cars I should look at or any tips?

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 14:13      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I'm buying [Smile]

I recommend against the Jetta... really tall people look amusing in Volkswagens [Big Grin]

(edit - better link)

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 28, 2007 14:27      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard the Civic is among the safest cars, and it's nice too.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 14:37      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
This is what I'm buying [Smile]

I recommend against the Jetta... really tall people look amusing in Volkswagens [Big Grin]

(edit - better link)

Nice - I think i would be stuck getting the car piece by piece - 86 500 is a little bit much - just a little - more in the 10 - 20 000 price range. But still really nice car.

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 14:43      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom has been happy with her Ford Focus, though she isn't 6.5 ft tall. She has a wagon and has been happy with the fuel economy and the cargo space.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 15:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been driving a Saturn Ion for over four years now, and have been pretty happy with it. It has plenty of leg room for the driver, it's been reliable, and the service has been good.

Then again, I'm not really into cars or anything. It's just a way to get from point A to point B. I'll admire a particularly nice sports car, but I don't really care if I ever own one.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 16:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah like the Jaguar looks really nice and if it was 15 000 instead of 86 500 i would consider getting it but as long as the car looks decent and isn't something an 80 year old grandma would drive then i would be fine with it.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 06:19      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:

It's also the easiest to break into and steal, too. My apt complex has had 8 civics broken into in the last few weeks.

guess what my boyfriend drives? haha, he won't come around here anymore.

Personally, I have a '92 Lexus es300, which rides really nicely. It doesn't have the best turning radius so at first I felt like I was trying to park a small boat. It's very roomy inside, lots of leg and head room, but the trunk feels smaller than on my previous Honda. Maintenence on it costs an arm and a leg too. [ohwell]

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:

It's also the easiest to break into and steal, too. My apt complex has had 8 civics broken into in the last few weeks.

Personally, I have a '92 Lexus es300, which rides really nicely. It doesn't have the best turning radius so at first I felt like I was trying to park a small boat. It's very roomy inside, lots of leg and head room, but the trunk feels smaller than on my previous Honda. Maintenence on it costs an arm and a leg too. [ohwell]

I don't think its the car he drive is what is stopping him from comming over.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:25      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah thanks for that, asshole. [Smile]
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:39      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
[qb]

A Civic with 20" spinners, huge spoiler, a million stickers (we know each one adds at least 5hp) and a fart can? [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:42      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, he's Korean so of course his civic is all riced out -- not pimped out!
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
[qb]

A Civic with 20" spinners, huge spoiler, a million stickers (we know each one adds at least 5hp) and a fart can? [Razz]
You forgot the go faster stripes.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 10:05      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wasn't the above line pretty much a perfect definition of "riced out?"
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 10:41      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot the 6" muffler tip.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:00      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to put these rims on my car.

stevenback,

If you really are planning on buying new, just about anything on the road will suit your needs. I run around in an '03 Elantra. I bought it to destroy and the damn thing refuses to die.

But if you are looking for a lot of leg room I will have to say the new Honda's are very spacious for what they are. I was pleasantly surprised at the ergonomics. Plus they hold their value quite well.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:02      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:

Wasn't the above line pretty much a perfect definition of "riced out?"
I have no idea. I don't know anything about any of that stuff.
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:22      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah thanks for that, asshole. [Smile]

hehehehe - be nice

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 11:27      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as if what you said was nice!! [Mad]
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 14:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Youse guys an' gals is gonna laugh me outta town here but...

My father has had a Daewoo Matiz for several years now - (tiny little 800cc triple engine). A joke motor no? But actually not- really - bigger inside than my Peugot saloon was, drives really nice with all the mod cons (airbags, power steering, engine management) cheap to insure and cheap to run... now known as the Chevvy whatever...

Still if Chevy want to take it on it can't be beyond hope

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 29, 2007 15:25      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I <3 love the Matiz!
It was a very smart design back then provided that it came from Giorgetto Giugiaro's mind, one of the greatest car designers.
The Spark lost some taste but it's still cool.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 16:12      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matiz ___ nice car for an average height person who dwells in the city. Not something a 6 foot 5 guy would drive around in the countryside.

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 10:12      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, obviously, with a thread called "favorite car"...........

You need to buy a 75-79 VW Microbus! It's perfect for you: AMPLE headroom, TONS of leg room, and pretty damn good gas mileage for a giant rolling box (~25MPG, thank you Mr. Bosch for your electronic fuel injection!). Also you can get them with an automagic transmission!

But for real, honestly, give the VW New Beetle a shot. I know it seems illogical, but my 6' 6" brother-in-law had a chance to drive one (one of his commanding officers had one) and he said that it was really surprisingly roomy.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 10:51      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mac ___ yeah i've heard the same thing about the beetle. But i don't know if the ample head room is worth the car - rather be seen driving a jetta then a beetle.

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2007 13:34      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you get a jetta, at least there is a real choice of colors... not pastel, pastel, pastel, and pastel.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture