homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Mini cd's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mini cd's
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 12:12      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, today I received my USB wifi adapter to use on my g3. I stuck the mini cd into the imac cd slot and it loaded up fine. Drivers didnt work though, so I thought I'd stick the disc in my ibook and get some manufacturer info an browse for new drivers. Problem now, is that the drive in the ibook evidently doesnt take mini cds, so it's just stuck in there. [Mad] Has this happened to anyone? I never thought anything of it because my Nintendo takes mini cd's as does the iMac. How can I get the cd out?

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 12:22      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind. Got it out with a butterknife. I should have thought things through before posting [Smile]

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 12:27      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad we resolved this problem.
no need to thank me, its all in a days work.

Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 16:02      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I insist, thank-you.

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 16:20      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<obligatory joke>
Does this mean Dr. Watson and biz are really the same person?
</obligatory joke>

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 20:30      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ABSOLUTELY! I'm surprised, however, that it took so long for Dr Watson's alter ego to surface here. They usually have a tendency to pop up rather quickly.
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 00:13      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha, the secret is out. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Just so you know, the slot-loading drives that Apple uses cannot accept any disc smaller than the standard 5-inch (I don't remember it in cm) CD or DVD. I have some old singles on minidisc and before I changed to my iMac I transferred them to my iTunes. Of course, I ended up buying an external DVD drive and it is a tray loader so I can still use the discs.

Glad to know the problem is solved.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 15:04      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr.Watson... I revoke you doctorate as you are incapable of common sense... there are also warning about NON STANDARD CD's and Slot loading drives...
BTW I char 100$ CAD to extricate FOB from Slot Loading drives... Pray you did not damage your drive... [thumbsdown]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 16:00      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could give you any number of smartass replys, really. That's like me degrading mechanics because they often struggle to get the keys out of my Saab's ignition (sometimes breaking them) because the reverse gear isn't selected. It's documented though, somewhere, that you have to engage reverse.... common sense sheesh

Since this laptop sports one of four slot loading drives at the household (counting the car) and having used minidiscs in all but the ibook, I take no shame in this mistake. [Wink]

--------------------

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 16, 2007 17:29      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STOP! STOP!
Are we Talking about MiniDiscs or Mini CDs?
You can't use a MiniDisc in most CD players since they're physically different. It was one of Sony's most unnecessarily long flops.
You can read Mini CDs in most tray and top loading players, but in slot loading ones, YOU MUST READ THE MANUAL!!! Mini CD was kind of a flop but it's more accepted than MiniDisc

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 19:08      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're talking about Mini CDs. I forgot about Sony's minidisc format so sorry if I caused any confusion.

Speaking of Sony, I have a portable minidisc player/recorder that I use to synchronize soundtracks of performances with my video camera because I can't stand the sound quality that comes from the videotape. (This is a geeky thing with me). That's about all I use it for. So, yeah, not a very successful format although I hear it went over well in Japan.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture