homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cell phone won't charge (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cell phone won't charge
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 14:31      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

I would add LG to your list of good phone manufacturers. The first time I used one I was amazed at how easy it was, and the two I've owned have been fairly durable.

YMMV but I have to say the "chocolate phone" by LG is actually crap. It would be more use if it really were chocolate because then you could eat it. It has many faults including poor reception, a complete inability to just shut the fsck up when you are in a meeting, the touch interface is fluffy and imprecise and battery life is poor. LG generally know their way around a circuit board so this may be a triumph of form over function for them, but approach with caution.

Like others here I'd say Nokia if you just want a phone that works, or I might add Sony Ericsson if you want a shiny toy you can talk into. If you want a PDA (and don't mind Windows Mobile) then HTC seem to have a knack for good design in a mash-up convergence kind of way.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 14:51      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:

I would add LG to your list of good phone manufacturers. The first time I used one I was amazed at how easy it was, and the two I've owned have been fairly durable.

YMMV but I have to say the "chocolate phone" by LG is actually crap. It would be more use if it really were chocolate because then you could eat it. It has many faults including poor reception, a complete inability to just shut the fsck up when you are in a meeting, the touch interface is fluffy and imprecise and battery life is poor. LG generally know their way around a circuit board so this may be a triumph of form over function for them, but approach with caution.
I agree with that. I took one look at the Chocolate and knew it was lousy design. The company usually makes good phones, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 15:16      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Siemens A65 (IIRC)

I got it from Virgin here in the UK (on a pay as you go deal)

It is not a bad phone - and a phone is all it is (i think it might have some crap WAP functions, but I have never even looked at them)

It doesn't play music or games, it has no camera or built in FM radio.

The interface is not bad - though nothing has ever lived up to my first Alcatel like this (ok mine was a subtle silver not leery orange...) That phone was so good I had one, my wife had one and everyone I showed it to wanted one... (yes it looks crap and clunky now, but at the time it was near cutting edge and the interface was just so "obvious" - something phones seem to have lost somewhere...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 14, 2007 16:53      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is Kyocera Phantom, quite simple, quite fun!
Contact managing is pretty good, you can use icons to differentiate between home, office and mobile phone numbers, set private numbers and also use avatars. Tools are OK, calculator, calendar, timer... the only bad one is the tip calculator, I can't use quantities higher than 4 digits [ohwell]
Games are great: Tetris and Brick Attack.
Best Feat: Doodler, a drawing program, is so fun to use with its 4 greyscale palette.
Voice calling is another nice feat but it sometimes fail, not enough memory for it.
Major Drawback: It suffers from "BSoD", mostly when charging.

There are other features I haven't tried, like the browser and PC connectivity, but I don't need it ATM, leave it to Smartphones.

But anyway, I don't regret preferring it over the Nokia 2200 [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 01:01      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure why Moto are getting such a kicking - my V235 works fine despite the bashing I give it - though I do now use my Xda about town or when I'm not somewhere it will be damaged/nicked.

Sony Ericsson is odd - I used to have a K700i which had some damn smart features, but the thing started going wrong so quickly that I was glad when I fell down a cliff on it! [ohwell]

Posts: 1146 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2007 04:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one my company provides is an LG VX4650. It's an ugly little phone with almost no extra features, but quite durable. Our sales people and myself beat the snot out of the poor things and they keep working. The battery life is good, too.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 01:16      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the Motorola rep. They are awful. The Razr series is probably one of the worst phones out there. And Verizon cripples the software so much you can hardly do anything with it. The phone I have is an E815, not a cheap phone but it works with iSync and is pretty good by Motorola standards. I don't care for the interface, and I am lucky enough to be able to take pictures with it and still send them to my email without being charged for it.

What is it with charging for everything anyway? It's like, you pay enough for the service and the phone, now you have to be nickle and dimed to death.

Makes me want to go back to land line. The only inconvenience would be that I would not have a phone in the car in case of emergency.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 08:30      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tominfla:
....Makes me want to go back to land line. The only inconvenience would be that I would not have a phone in the car in case of emergency.

Get a pre-paid one from Virgin Mobile (they use the Sprint Network), the phones are about $30 and you can pay as little as $20 every 90 days and the unused minutes roll over. It's a very economical choice for an emergency phone. I used one for 2 years.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 18:21      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Oooh ! What a give-away ! [Wink]

Maybe I'm not a proper geek, but I'd pay good money for a phone that's just a phone.

No crappy unusable web-browser.
No crappy unusable diary.
No crappy blurry lo-res camera.
No crappy unusable mp3 player.
No half-arsed attempt at playing videos.
No silly beepy-games.
No currency conversions, horoscope, or biorhythms.

Just.
A.
Phone.

I'm with you on that, less is more, in my game. Less crap to break, more chance of it lasting longer.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 19:27      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an added bonus, most prepaid GSM phones can be unlocked and used on any network - why pay your cell provider $150 out-of-contract price for a low-end Nokia when you can get one for $19? Not too sure about CDMA phones though; I don't know about other providers, but I know for a fact that Sprint only activates Sprint-specific phones - if it doesn't have a Sprint logo on it, they won't activate it. Greedy bastids...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 19, 2007 15:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I ended up getting an LG, it was the cheapest thing around that would still work in my area.

OH, and last week I decided to take a dip in the ocean. With Nitrozac's cell phone in my pocket. Doh!

So I bought two.
[cry baby]

Posts: 8142 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 15:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor phones, they don't know they only have ten more days to live [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture