homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Fav. geek TV series? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fav. geek TV series?
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 10:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got hooked on Spike reruns last year. It's even better now that we've upgraded our equipment to high-def and added network channels to our lineup.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 10:29      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
CSI and NCIS are my favorite geeky shows at the moment, from a forensic geekiness standpoint. They may not be terribly realistic, but I enjoy them anyway.

Have you seen Bones? That is one of my favorite shows on the air right now. It is still using forensics to solve murders, but there is a lot more character development than on CSI. And it's fun for me to see David Boreanas on tv. [Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 13:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught a few minutes of one episode. Mrs. Club has seen more and doesn't like it much, so I haven't had a chance to get a feel for it. Maybe I'll excercise the DVR option on your advice [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 20:07      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to like tech tv with Leo and Patrick.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 11:14      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for IT Crowd! I'm dying to see season 2, doesn't seem to be anywhere online (yet). I didn't know about the subtitles.

I also love MST3k and Red Dwarf. Probably don't have to be a geek to love the latter haha.

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 11:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah! MST3K! I need to find that on DVD or something.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Ste
Geek Larva
Member # 8907

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 16:38      Profile for The Ste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! , I agree with heroes (pure magic) and firefly especially since serenity. I would like to add the following which I feel CANT be overlooked in this pole
BUFFY!
Angel
Alias
Dead like me
Extras
and hello...LOST (look away if you don't like spoilers and didn't see the end of series 3)
can anyone believe
that
they
got
back?
What a clever ending!

Posts: 23 | From: dublin | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Ste
Geek Larva
Member # 8907

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 16:41      Profile for The Ste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
CSI and NCIS are my favorite geeky shows at the moment, from a forensic geekiness standpoint. They may not be terribly realistic, but I enjoy them anyway.

Have you seen Bones? That is one of my favorite shows on the air right now. It is still using forensics to solve murders, but there is a lot more character development than on CSI. And it's fun for me to see David Boreanas on tv. [Big Grin] [evil]
Yes bones rocks, I like that angela ended up with a super geek, good call.
Posts: 23 | From: dublin | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
metasoap
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8946

Icon 3 posted June 10, 2007 17:25      Profile for metasoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
firefly!
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 18:05      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Firefly [Smile]

I'm currently rather hooked on Bones at the moment though.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 00:37      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Firefly had lasted longer. Sometimes I sing the theme song in the shower. It seemed like the characters and relationships were just starting to solidify when it ended, and then it felt like Serenity rushed through the story to fit it all in. (They were both really good anyway.)

Stupid TV execs.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
xander92
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 9238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 15:10      Profile for xander92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BtVS was my favourite, Angel was good too, I love The OC , but it's not a geek TV serie probably, altough one of its main characters was geeky (seth).
Actually I learned the word "geek" from The OC.

--------------------
Life's a show and we all play our parts

Posts: 3 | From: Turkey | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 16:05      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't believe no one has mentioned "Misfits of Science"

I totally wanted to be Johnny Volt!

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 16:54      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quantum Leap

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a TV series as such, but this geeky comedy trio have a regular spot on an aussie TV comedy show.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10703 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 00:30      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andromeda.
Tripping the rift.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 08:02      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firefly! (Altho I got into it after it got cancelled :-p)

And recently, watched the first episode of season 1 of Farscape and thought it was kinda neat! Just need to find time to watch the rest!

Otherwise, haven't really kept up with what's currently on these days, but do catch the occasional snippet from some shows.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2007 10:02      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
And recently, watched the first episode of season 1 of Farscape and thought it was kinda neat! Just need to find time to watch the rest!

Good show. I don't have a complete collection, but I have most of the series on DVD, particularly all the major events.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 19:40      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For all-time fave, I think I have to go with Babylon 5. (And it was a shame about B5: Crusade. Bad Ted Turner, bad! Bad!) And of course Star Trek: TOS is an absolute classic.

More recently, is anyone else following the Stargates? (SG-1 and Atlantis) or how about Battlestar Galactica? (The new one, not the old one. Although the old one is kinda fun, in an Ed Wood Jr. sort of way.)

quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Have you seen Bones? That is one of my favorite shows on the air right now. It is still using forensics to solve murders...

<offtopic>
If you enjoy Bones (and even if you don't) you might (or might not) enjoy Kathy Reichs' novels. Reichs really is a forensic anthropologist, and most of the literary Temperance Brennan's adventures are loosly based on Reichs' own professional cases. Both Reichs and (lit) Brennan divide their time between Charlotte NC and Montreal QC, and you can usually guess from the title in which city the story will be set.
</offtopic>

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2007 18:44      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember Riptide? The Guys had a pink s58 and the one geeky guy always saved the day with data.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
LinuxPhreak
Geek Apprentice
Member # 5033

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2007 15:23      Profile for LinuxPhreak   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Star Trek.

Kirk, Bones, and Spock. C'mon now. It was made over 15 years before I was born and is still good TV.

Oh yeah Star Trek would be one of my top 10. Did you hear about the new Star Trek Movie coming out. Matt Damin out of all people is going to play young Captain Kirk. I could have chosen a better young cap Kirk.

I also would say Twilight Zone

MythBusters
X-Files
House
CSI

And I don't know if it is ok to mention online shows but I would have to say the source is probably my favorite online show.

--------------------
I am not important. No one is. To be important you need to make history your word must be important. Your inventions must be as equally important.

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 20:31      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
Anyone remember Riptide? The Guys had a pink s58 and the one geeky guy always saved the day with data.

Yeah, Riptide - That was the title! IIRC, they also had a cigarette boat named Ebb Tide, and in one episode the Geek had one of those Heathkit robots that tried to make margaritas and kept spraying the cabin with them.

That series wasn't on very long, was it? [blush]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 21:25      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dave:
<offtopic>
If you enjoy Bones (and even if you don't) you might (or might not) enjoy Kathy Reichs' novels. Reichs really is a forensic anthropologist, and most of the literary Temperance Brennan's adventures are loosly based on Reichs' own professional cases. Both Reichs and (lit) Brennan divide their time between Charlotte NC and Montreal QC, and you can usually guess from the title in which city the story will be set.
</offtopic>

I've picked up Kathy Reichs' novels since watching the show. I've finished the first 3 Temperance Brennan novels and I'm almost finished with Fatal Voyage, the fourth. It's a very different Tempe, but I really like them. And it's very fun that I understand almost all of the French before she translates it.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeWhoKnows
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 29921

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 13:01      Profile for HeWhoKnows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I really love The Big Bang Theory! It's my favourite show right now. And usually I'm not watching any TV series...

Okay, well. Exceptions: Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica...

But lately, I've really gotten into Geek TV Shows like Freaks & Geeks, The Big Bang Theory and The IT Crowd. Are there any shows similar to those I mentioned?

Sorry for my bad English. I'm just a Swiss guy who learns English by watching TV shows (English in school is nearly worthless) [Razz]

--------------------
This is the moment which I call epiphany. First we recognise that the object is one integral thing, then we recognise that it is an organised composite structure, a thing in fact: finally, when the relation of the parts is exquisite, when the parts are adjusted to the special point, we recognise that it is that thing which it is. Its soul, its whatness, leaps to us from the vestment of its appearance. The soul of the commonest object, the structure of which is so adjusted, seems to us radiant. The object achieves its epiphany. - James Joyce

Posts: 1 | From: Zurich, Switzerland | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2009 14:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is always teh show numbers; if you like math.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture