homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Computer Wont Work (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Computer Wont Work
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:11      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted on here before saying my computer wouldnt turn on at all, after discussing options to find out the problem, the people discussing on the board determined the motherboard had died because nothing would do anything. i just replaced the motherboard and it turns on (fans turn, cd drive lights turn on, etc.) but i see nothing on my screen. it doesnt recognize a signal that there is a monitor attached or something. yes the monitor works (just tested it on another computer) and is firmly connected to the computer. HELP
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:19      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
replace power supply

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:20      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why would it be the power supply? I tried the powersupply on another system and it worked
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:54      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, this sounds like a potential graphics card problem. The rest of the system boots ok?
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 18:57      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as i know. since i cant see anything on the screen i dont know how far its getting into the boot sequence but i dont see any lights lit up on the board or hear any beeps. ive tried using the onboard video and a separate AGP video card.
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 19:10      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toasted CPU, perhaps?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 19:14      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyway to know if its the CPU? without getting another?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 00:41      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrow one belonging to someone else?
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 04:13      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a newish system, check you've got both the 24 or 20 pin power plug on the motherboard, and the 4 pin ATX 12V plugged in. Some motherboards will refuse to do anything unless that second power connector is plugged in.

Edit: And attach speakers /headphones to the motherboards sound output, I've read that some mbs output audible diagnostic information through that.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 09:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestion is to stop trying to fix/build the computer yourself, and have someone else do it -- it's not your cup of tea.

If you really want to learn these things, find someone who knows what they're doing, and ask them to show you as they work.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 09:54      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try asking it nicely. When that doesn't work kick it. It might not fix the computer but you will feel better.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 10:32      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk,

The motherboard is a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L, so i dont know what u meant by "and the 4 pin ATX 12V plugged in" Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L Manual

This is the manual. can you tell me on there where you're talking about? Thanks

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 20:03      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an older motherboard and does not appear to have a +4 pin power connector (at least, I don't see one in the manual). You need only worry about the 20 pin one.

If it were a graphics card issue, the system would get all the way to Windows and you'd probably hear the welcome noise (if you have speakers plugged in), so that's doubtful if nothing appears to be happening.

Could be the mobo, could be the CPU, could be the memory, or you might just have an IDE conflict (if you have two slaves or two masters on the same IDE channel, the system might refuse to boot altogether, so you may want to check this).

The typical diagnostic procedure is to remove everything but the CPU, memory, and graphics card and see if it boots, then add stuff back until you find the problem component.

hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 21:00      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried removing the HD, still not getting any displaying of any kind, tried removing RAM, still get to same point. So im kinda guessing its the CPU. The motherboard is brand new. I bought the motherboard because my old computers motherboard was fried (tops of a few capacitors werent flat, meaning they burnt up, and it wouldnt boot at all, fans wouldn't turn at all, nothing). So i bought this motherboard as a replacement. Since im using the same CPU i think the CPU might have burnt up with the old motherboard. Anyone think my assumption is correct?
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 04:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hockeymachine:
I tried removing the HD, still not getting any displaying of any kind, tried removing RAM, still get to same point. So im kinda guessing its the CPU. The motherboard is brand new. I bought the motherboard because my old computers motherboard was fried (tops of a few capacitors werent flat, meaning they burnt up, and it wouldnt boot at all, fans wouldn't turn at all, nothing). So i bought this motherboard as a replacement. Since im using the same CPU i think the CPU might have burnt up with the old motherboard. Anyone think my assumption is correct?

Could be .. but not sure .. I thought motherboard might boot up without CPU attached and complain there isn't one, but I've never actually tried it...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 05:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hockeymachine __________________________ Have it towed to the garage or dealer drop your wallet on the counter, they will call when it is fixed or your wallet runs out. Oooops wrong board.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:18      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this computer is a must have for your daily life and you have all ready spent over a hundred dollars on fixing it and can't fix it by yourself then bring it into a local computer expert - but make sure to ask for an estimate on the repair because i decided to walk into one of these local computer shops awhile ago to buy a usb pci card instead of costing me 20 bucks at futureshop it costed me 50 because i didn't ask how much the part cost.

But if this is a possible junker then by all means just keep tinkering with it.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 12:36      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you remove the memory (RAM), most systems won't boot, so that says nothing about whether it's the RAM or CPU.

If you don't have a spare CPU to test with, I agree with the others: bring it to an expert who has the parts and experience to do diagnostics on the system.

hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 15:08      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the motherboard has a 14 day return policy and i bought it as a replacement 5 days ago, and i dont really want to dump much more into it since its rarely used i dont think itd be worth it to dump another 50-100$ into a diagnostics.
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 18:08      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without wishing to be rude I think that maybe you are not cut out for hardware building or fixing...

Take the MoBo back and get your cash. Then look at just buying a pre-built one you can afford and spend some time on considering the software you want...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 10:47      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its kind of funny that this is a "geek support" website and people say stuff like that. because they have no idea what else to try so they just assume, well just tell him he's not cut out and we dont have to help. nice "support"
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 10:55      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hockeymachine:
its kind of funny that this is a "geek support" website and people say stuff like that. because they have no idea what else to try so they just assume, well just tell him he's not cut out and we dont have to help. nice "support"

Whoa, back the pony cart up here a minute! This is "Geek Culture" not "Geeks who can offer you technical advice, computer support and fix your shit for you".

I think perhaps you meant to go to the Geek Squad. They'll fix it for you. For a price.

P.S. Yes, I'm PMSing. FOAD. [Mad]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 08, 2007 11:07      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "geek support web site"? Now that's news to me. I thought this was a forum for geeks to relax, talk and share. [crazy]

Hockeymachine, I would say that a "thank you for your help" post would have been more appropriate toward those who tried to help you. Nobody promised anything to you; they don't know you, don't know your system, and you don't pay them. What did you expect? [Confused]

(Edit: Well, I'm not PMSing, so this is the polite version of Black Widow's post. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 11:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and hey, if you want real support, I'll be quite happy to provide it. The company I work for bills my time for phone support at $150/hour, 4 hour minimum. On site support is available as well at $1800/day plus travel and associated expenses.

Now if I could just talk them into giving me a percentage of that instead of a flat salary.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hockeymachine
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5476

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 11:55      Profile for hockeymachine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The message was in regards to "Serenak"'s message. And this is the "Ask a Geek!" section if im not mistaken. Because "Serenak" obviously didnt read the previous posts when he made the suggestion to buy another machine.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture