homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Sound cards

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound cards
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 8 posted January 26, 2007 20:25      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago, my computer's harddrive crashed. So I had to basically whipe it clean and reinstall everything, via some disc I found. I used to have Windows 2000 (or 98, something like that) now I have the Millenium Edition.
Ever since then, though, I have not had any sound.
Its not the speakers or anything like that, its that there is no sound card detected.

Upon start up, I get two notices saying there is new hardware found. One is callde Crystal [some number], the other one is PCI Communication Device. When I try to install them, it says I must reinstall the drivers. And when I try that, it says that the software cannot be found.

Anyway, i have no idea what I am doing. Does anyone know what the problem is (maybe the sound card got jostled out of place or something, or its not compatible with Windows ME?), but more importantly, how to fix it?

Thanks!

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 20:39      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
find out what modem you have, install the proper driver

yes, i know that has apparently nothing to do with sound

trust me...

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 20:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sound chip on your card is by Crystal Audio. The number is the model number of the chip. The driver that you need is not included on the Windows CD that you're using and must be gotten elsewhere.

You can try the manufacturer's website if you have a brand name computer, otherwise you'll need to get that number and post it if you want help finding it to download..

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 20:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um ... if the PC is telling you it's found hardware, it won't have been jostled anywhere. The PC has found the hardware.

We've already had this discussion and gone around and around. As I recall, you were another on of those people who won't answer our questions or do as you're told. It's damn hard to help anyone who won't actually read what we write, answer what we ask and do what you're told. This is a disturbingly common and extremely frustrating trend.

But Crystal are, or at least were, a well-known sound card and sound chip manufacturer. Oddly, I've never succeeded in finding their site, in years; they may have gone out of business, or have one of those sites that is impossible to find.

The drivers should be on the original CD that came with your PC. If not, they should be on the Web site of either whoever made your PC, or whoever made the motherboard. You may also find them one of the many driver download sites, since at least you have the chip ID for the main sound controller IC (the number you didn't quote us). I don't know how those sites fare as far as viruses go, but I've resorted to them before when I needed really obscure files. Just be sure to have good anti-virus set up if you go the driver download site route.

IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 20:46            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addendum: Crystal belong to/are a brand name of Cirrus Logic it seems. These are their Windows Millennium drivers:

http://www.cirrus.com/en/support/drivers/audio/OS20.html

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 20:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*edit* nevermind, you figured it out.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 21:35      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Um ... if the PC is telling you it's found hardware, it won't have been jostled anywhere. The PC has found the hardware.

We've already had this discussion and gone around and around. As I recall, you were another on of those people who won't answer our questions or do as you're told. It's damn hard to help anyone who won't actually read what we write, answer what we ask and do what you're told. This is a disturbingly common and extremely frustrating trend.

But Crystal are, or at least were, a well-known sound card and sound chip manufacturer. Oddly, I've never succeeded in finding their site, in years; they may have gone out of business, or have one of those sites that is impossible to find.

The drivers should be on the original CD that came with your PC. If not, they should be on the Web site of either whoever made your PC, or whoever made the motherboard. You may also find them one of the many driver download sites, since at least you have the chip ID for the main sound controller IC (the number you didn't quote us). I don't know how those sites fare as far as viruses go, but I've resorted to them before when I needed really obscure files. Just be sure to have good anti-virus set up if you go the driver download site route.

If I am one of those people, then i apologize. I don't recall having posted anything about it before now, but if you say so, I believe you. My apologies.

I went to the link and downloaded the proper one.
The Crystal has been found....3 actually. But it still says it can't find the software. So i go and look at the website, right?

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 23:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And get a different OS while you're at it. ME sucks hairy balls.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 03:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Found new hardware" feature of Windows is rather retarded, and hard to understand. It needs to be told where the driver files are, and generally, you're not going to know! If you download them from the Net, you typically get an installer which takes care of the process for you. Cancel out of the Found new hardware wizard, and just run the installer that you downloaded, and reboot.

If the download doesn't have an installer, i.e. all you got was a folder full of driver files, find the .inf file (e.g. "setup.inf"), right-click on it and do Install (you might first need to find the subfolder for your OS). Or, if the wizard is still open, point it at that folder and tell it that the drivers are in there.

The procedure is simple, but the wizard is a nuisance.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 03:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never_ask_why333___________________Put the drivers in a folder on the desktop, now as you go through the wizard look for a window showing you choices lead windows wizard to the folder and it should, maybe see them and put them where they belong. This is not the most elegant solution but it has worked for me. Windows will not look at a floppy unless it is directed to do so,

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 10:25      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never_ask_why333: Windows are strange machines, and a lot of the time fixes to simple problems are hard to find. Ie. After a full year and a bit my computer still won't recongnize temporary usb devices even after trying a couple dozen possible fixes.

like CT sometimes the modem is the cause of the no sound but sometimes its something completly different. I advice following the suggestions of the above posts since thats what i would have told you to do also.

But going with Xanthine's suggestion i also recommend upgrading to xp if your computer has been made in the last 4 or so years.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 11:42      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I think is what I will do is tell you exactly what I did, and from there maybe we can try to figure out what i did wrong, and where to go from here.

Ok, when i went to that link, I downloaded (?) the correct driver, I think. CS4235, because that is what my computer says it has found. It saved itself on my computer as a file called Px3010. I cancelled out of the wizard. Then i went back to my documents, found the Px3010 folder, and opened it. Inside it had these...things:

cwc3d.osp
cwc4610.osp
cwc4612.osp
cwchrtf.22
cwchrtf.44
cwchrtfv22
cwchrtfv44
cwcosnt5.sys
cwcosw98.sys
ewcspud
ewcspud.sys
ewcspud3.sys
cwcwdm
cwcwdm.sys
PusW3010
setup

ok, so I clicked the setup. It came up with options and I clicked the 'install driver' one.

then something came up saying that to complete the installation, I need to restart. So I did.

Upon startup, nothing different happened. Meaning that I got three messages saying that new hardware found. i try to install drivers, it says recommended (automatic or something) or specify driver location. i have tried both and neither one work, saying that the software cannot be found.

So....what went wrong? I think I followed the directions correctly...

Also, about getting a new OS. I have no idea how to do that. And also, money is an issue as well. My mother knows nothing about computers, and she refuses to pay anything for it. And I'm kinda short on money too. If I knew exactly what i was going to have to get,I could save up for it. But I have no idea what to get.

If it helps at all, my computer is an Etower|333id. I'm not sure how old it is, because we got it second hand back in 2005.

Thanks for all the help. I really am trying, too, I just really have no idea what I am doing.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 14:29            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows are strange machines, and a lot of the time fixes to simple problems are hard to find. Ie. After a full year and a bit my computer still won't recongnize temporary usb devices even after trying a couple dozen possible fixes.

The problem with Windows and, to a significant degree other operating systems, is that they don't hold themselves accountable to you. I imagine that your USB problem is astonishingly trivial, and Windows knows what the problem is. But computers are very reticent to tell you what went wrong. By the time any error message is shown, the real cause of the problem has been lost. It's just a very poor architecture.

As for the drivers, what is "Px3010"? Is it a regular folder: does it have a normal folder icon, or does it have a different icon? If the icon is in any way unusual, right-click it, select Properties and see what the Type line shows.

I am just wondering if it's a zip file and you have some sort of automatic zip support enabled. If you tried to open the "setup" file, the remaining files may not have been accessible (because they're inside the zip file) and it could have actually failed to install anything at all.

I'll say this much: you can't download a whole folder from a Web browser. If Px3010 is a folder, you must have decompressed a zip file yourself (sometimes it's a WinZip self-extracting file) and since you made no mention of this, I am assuming it's a zip file that you mistook for a folder. This will also, I presume, be why the wizard can't find anything.

If I'm correct on this, you'll need to move or copy all of the files into a normal folder first and try again. (Yes, transparent zip file handling leaves a lot to be desired ...)

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted January 27, 2007 14:33      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to the Device Manager, uninstall the sound driver and reinstall it again with the files you downloaded.

If it doesn't work, upgrade to Windows 2000/xp. ME is not supported anymore it's very probable you're getting an outdated driver.

-edit-

Backup your files, FORMAT your drive and get into linux [Wink] (If you do not use recent ATI graphics)

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2007 15:12            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Etower|333id" sounds like it's a 333 MHz which, as long as it's a Pentium II, is what I have. Perfectly capable of running Windows 2000 but trust me, this is not a Millennium problem. The Found New Hardware wizard is at complete odds with how drivers are packaged, and if she's getting automatic zip expansion, that's another complete pain, since it's never done right.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture