homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cell phone battery questions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cell phone battery questions...
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 14:01      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

I have a question about cell phone batteries. I have a Motorola V180 phone and I just ordered a new battery for it. My question is, are the ringtones that I have downloaded stored on my battery (will they be lost when I change it?) or will I still have them with the new battery? Thanks for any help!

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 14:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not a cell phone geek here but why would the ringtones be stored on the battery? wouldn't ringtones be kept on the memory? so i would say your ringtones would still be there.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 15:25      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea where they are stored, so that's why I was asking. [Smile] Does the phone have a memory besides the SIM card? Because I don't think they're stored on the SIM card. Thanks for the insight thought. [Smile]
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 16:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RTFM. ;-)

If it is a GSM phone, then you should be able to store your phone numbers and such onto the SIM card. Anything else (i.e., pictures if your phone took pics) might be lost unless there is a way to transfer or save them.

I'm more familiar with the Sony Ericsson phones. The newer ones come with a very small memory stick and adapter. Some have infrared and/or bluetooth connectivity.

I like my W300i. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 16:08      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if I regularly take my battery out of the phone and put it back in without losing anything, does that mean I'm fine? (Don't ask, the thing freezes.)
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 16:09      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. ;-)
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 20:31      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ringtones and things like that are not stored on the battery (to the best of my knowledge). They are stored either to the phones memory, or to the card. So don't worry about it.

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 3 posted January 26, 2007 20:34      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I'm concerned, cellphones have storage onboard, so battery isn't related to your information, it just provides energy to your phone.
Most of my friends use Nokia phones and switch batteries each other when they're dried up, without losing any data.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2007 23:05      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! [Smile]
batteryman
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8210

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 04, 2007 10:20      Profile for batteryman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the responses are correct. You should not lose any data when you change batteries. If you need another battery batteries4less.com is a good source for info and products for your phone.
Take care!

Posts: 2 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2007 11:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now let's all open our hosts file and add "127.0.0.1 batteries4less.com" so we don't forget and wind up providing income to a spammer.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 04, 2007 12:09      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be rude, just let MMKK hand him a can of SPAM [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Contest. Group. Success.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2007 13:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not being rude... I really do exactly what I just said. I can't remember all the spammers I run into, so I add them into my hosts file and direct them to my local computer so that I will get an immediate 404 response if I try to go to their site by accident. By spamming, they lose any chance of ever having me as a customer unless they change domain names.

*shrug*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 04, 2007 22:14      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh! These forums haven't any relation to the chatroom, or maybe my humor is way too dark for mortals... chill out [Razz]

--------------------
Contest. Group. Success.

batteryman
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8210

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 14, 2007 09:53      Profile for batteryman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, sorry. I am new to this scene. Won't happen again.
Posts: 2 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 12:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't sweat it Batteryman. It would be better to get to know you first before becoming your customers.

Care to tell us a bit about you? (please...) Start a new thread of introduction in the All About You forum.

Welcome! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 13:45      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
batteryman: We're very touchy about spam around here. We like our community and are wary of it becoming prey to the new breed of "social spammers," so we tend to pull out the pitchforks and torches pretty quickly, sometimes a little /too/ quickly.

On that note, I'd like to welcome you to Geek Culture. I hope that, if your intentions really are pure, you'll stick around let us get to know ya' better. [Smile]

Moi: To repeat (and consolidate) what's already been said... The only thing stored in your battery is an electrical potential difference in the form of a chemical reaction. There's no data there, just a fancy bit of chemistry. Depending on the phone, wallpapers, ring tones, and such like might be stored in the SIM card or on the phone itself, but your phone book info, phone number info, service info, network info, etc. will, certainly be on the SIM card.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 13:53      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
... pitchforks and toarches...

Not to mention the dictionaries [Big Grin]

</SpellingPolice>

welcome, batteryman. I'll keep my pitchfoark in it's holster for now.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture