homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Need germ-geek help (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Need germ-geek help
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shortcuts and science don't mix very well, especially when things that grow are involved. Doesn't stop desperate students from trying though.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Shortcuts and science don't mix very well, especially when things that grow are involved. Doesn't stop desperate students from trying though.

There's an STD joke in there somewhere...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:26      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
There's an STD joke in there somewhere...

Only when you're around...

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:36            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who'd settle for anything less?
IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help it if I'm a Sexually Timid Dumbass. I'm still trying to find someone to pet me [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think all the possible mental images conjured up by that remark are equally disturbing.
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:48      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Xanthine:

I'm not desperate, I'm lazy and there's a big difference. If I were desperate I'd be running head-first into an even bigger series of errors. Instead, I've begun the process of starting over... (bugger!) I just didn't want to have to start over and so I thought I'd see what other ideas might be floating around first.

Where's the line between lazy and efficient, anyway? I'm having a little trouble finding it.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:55      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
I think all the possible mental images conjured up by that remark are equally disturbing.

I threw up a little in my mouth.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got something that'll get that taste out of your mouth...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 21:09      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I've got something that'll get that taste out of your mouth...

...and now we all know the real definition of an "amuse bouche."

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 21:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
catgoddess wrote:
...and now we all know the real definition of an "amuse bouche."

Don't worry... we'll get to the main entree later. Hope you're not vegan...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 21:25      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
where is uilleann when you really need a bucket?

--------------------

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 22:02      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has become an uncomfortably protein-rich thread. Catgoddess, could you maybe throw up on a swab instead? I grew a nice christmas-tree shape with some facultative anaerobes from my tongue and I'm alway happy to find a project that would look nice with H. pylori . On my christmas tree plate I'm going to dye the background green and send photos out for next X-mas.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 22:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am right here, catgoddess, but you do realise that the bucket of water is going on you, not Steen?
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 22:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
I am right here, catgoddess, but you do realise that the bucket of water is going on you, not Steen?

That would probably help her get the taste out of her mouth, so it might not get you killed. To be on the safe side, you should also make sure the water is in the form of snow. Trust me, she loves snow...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 22:56            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know as well as I that snow is considerably less effective. I guess snow and a paint stripper might work, but don't use it to warm up a lawn mower.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 06:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've heard, a stripper seems to be an effective way to warm up a lot of things...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 21:02      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You can throw a bucket of water on me anytime. If it would drive Steen crazy, I'm all for it.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 21:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know... as long as I can watch...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 21:46      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can shove all the snow in my front yard (and plowed up along side my car) up your arse.

Watch.

Pervert.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 21:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would take more than strippers to warm up after that [Eek!]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 22:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
catgoddess
You can throw a bucket of water on me anytime. If it would drive Steen crazy, I'm all for it.

o_O

It's rare verging on non-existent for girls to be that co-operative but I will say, it's nothing to do with driving Steen crazy. I don't even believe it would.

catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 22:12      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's rare verging on non-existent for girls to be that co-operative but I will say, it's nothing to do with driving Steen crazy. I don't even believe it would.

I mentioned Steen because he likes the attention.

(Shhh. Don't tell him I said that)

I'm honestly a tad afraid of what would actually drive Steen crazy. I'm also fairly certain I don't want to know...

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 22:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I've had a first year grad student working with me for about six weeks now (he'll be done in four). Shortly before Christmas, he complained to me that he wanted a sexier project. I told him to do his experiments in a mankini. He stopped complaining.

For some reason, this thread made me think of that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2007 06:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
catgoddess wrote:
I'm honestly a tad afraid of what would actually drive Steen crazy. I'm also fairly certain I don't want to know...

Coward [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture