homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUX (No Power) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUX (No Power)
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 05:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann____________________I am trying to do this

ISP dialup<======>Ubuntu box<==========> XP box

I have not found any forums that discuss this method

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 06:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, unless I am mistaken, that's way off topic and I don't know why you get the impression that I'd know the answer :) I ask Jen about Linux, I don't have anywhere else that I go, apart from Google. Since I have Gentoo, their documentation helps sometimes too, that and the coLinux wiki for problems relating to the virtualiser.

I am guessing it'd be to do with routing table magic, but I don't know anything about routing in Linux. I've only just become aware that Windows 2000 has connection sharing (the coLinux docs tell you both that it doesn't and that it does) and I'm sharing my NIC (outbound) with a TAP virtual software adapter (inbound) that the Linux virtualiser connects to. Very funky. And if Linux is not running I get a bleeding "Network cable unplugged" icon in the tray :P

IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 07:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann_______________Sorry to bother you with the thread jack.

We will now contine with regularly scheduled programming.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 21:23      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan:

pppconfig set up the dialup to get on the 'net from ubuntu.

On the ubuntu box as root,

code:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE -t nat -o ppp0

Then, any connection coming in on the internal network should be routed out through the ppp.

You'll probably want to put those two lines in one of the if-up.d scripts for ppp so it happens automatically, though.

If you do, add iptables -t nat -F to the beginning so it doesn't keep adding the same rule should your connection go down and up a lot.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2007 03:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget_________________I did not spell out all of the problem. One phone line, last customer out from switch, Electric Last customer out line, No Cable. Too far out for Wisp. I have been using a modem and an asante router, however all of the local ISP's have old second hand equipment, so I pay for bulk Long Distance to get to an ISP that has equipment that lets my router work correctly.

If I or the wife dial in with our seporate boxes (no shareing), I fear that the windows box would not be as safe as behind the router, or the Ubuntu box.

Since I first posted I have found, that the Ubuntu box does not not like to reconnect even though it has that option checked in networking, and that it does not always dial out on opening Firefox or evolution. Plus the wife does not like to get up and walk over to my box to connect or reconnect.

So it appears that I will keep buying bulk long distance until I can get some kind of broadband. Right now there is a WISP that does cover this area however their prices are too much for a retiree, it is cheaper to buy bulk long distance, at $70 a month.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture