homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Laptop noise

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laptop noise
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 15:26      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently my normally pretty quiet Song VAIO laptop has been constantly making processing noises. It hardly ever stops. Is there any way to reduce this noise and what could it possibly be the result of? Thanks for any help.
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 16:54      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried running scandisk (through, correct errors) sometimes noises are due to bad sectors being jumped. Worked for my PC

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 18:25      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JulioC:
Have you tried running scandisk (through, correct errors) sometimes noises are due to bad sectors being jumped. Worked for my PC

What is scandisk? Can you tell me how to find and run it?
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 19:27      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the short answer is that it can be a lot of things.

Worst case scenario is you hard drive is dieying on you. Now the simplest and most obvious question which should be asked before trying to tackle this problem is when did the excess processing noise start and did you do anything which might have made it make noise.

Some quick fixes is first just run defrag, scan disk, and several anti virus, spyware, etc programs. Next see if the noise is caused or increased by specific programs. Then see if the noise is reduced if you run your laptop from the battery or the power cable. ....

There are many things you can do but without me knowing the answer to the above question it could be a lot of things. One thing i recomend before messing around with anything no matter how simple is to back everything up to something so that if your hard drive fails or something destroys the data then you at least have a back up.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 19:58      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the help! I ran a check errors check on my hard drive and it seems to be a bit quieter now.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 21:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that quieted your hard drive down, you probably want to seriously consider making sure you have a current back up of any important data just in case the drive begins making far less happy sounds tomorrow.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2006 22:39      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet it's just short of space, so VM is limited and it has to keep moving things around on the disk.

At least, I assume that that's as much an issue on Win XP as it is on OSX?

Anyway, if it's got less than about 2GB left, I bet that's the problem.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2006 12:09      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to get the hard drive replaced as well - you don't want those platters spinning at 5400RPM to shatter and implant tiny bits of themselves deep inside your corneas, now do you? [Razz]

On a more serious note, it would be a good idea - it's only a matter of time before the drive croaks on you, and replacement drives are dirt-cheap nowadays. You can get an 80-gigger for well under $100.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vindicate
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 20462

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2008 22:46      Profile for Vindicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my laptop recently started to do some minor freezing on me, such as, when you leave it on and it goes into screen saver or standby mode, after you hit the enter button everything there, but you can get the auto hide bar to show. you can open folders on the desk top, but cant get the start menu to show. just now a humming noise started, its coming from the opposite side of where the fan is, and if you turn off the laptop and back on again, it wont load windows. my guess is the harddrive i failing but i have no idea why.
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 02:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vindicate:
my guess is the harddrive i failing but i have no idea why.

They do that when they get old. Stuff wears out.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 09:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Moi Every response you get from this forum, should lead you to Back up, Back up, back up. Really look at all of your saved stuff do you need it on that computer, would that file on a CD do just as good if you did not not need it yesterday. The less poop you keep in hard drive the easier it has its life.

When Computers start making "new noises that you have not heard before" that is usually a sign that things are going badly in the computer.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vindicate
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 20462

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 15:56      Profile for Vindicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea i kinda figured i would need to start backing up soon, as the mini freezes started only 3 days ago, wasn't expecting to hear the rumbling noise so soon. now the pc wont even turn on. it starts, then turns off by itself. i want to try to salvage it if possible, as i had it for 4 years now. i use my laptop as a desktop. still didn't think it would wear out so soon. (pissed off)...sigh*

so i guess i'm in need of a new laptop, great -.-'' .... having trouble deciding. i wanted a quad core but i don't see any companies allowing them to be installed via customization, this includes alienware. guess at the moment i'm still leaning towards another hp laptop dv900t series. any suggestions?

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 16:14      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally if I were buying a laptop it would be a MacBook Pro, but I assume you want a Windows or Linux PC. If you are looking for quality hardware I would suggest a Lenovo ThinkPad. Or you could still buy a MacBook Pro and install Windows or Linux in Boot Camp and learn a new OS.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2008 17:27      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, never had good luck/experiences with HP computer hardware, printers or tech support. The only thing from HP that I've ever been happy with is my growing ancient 22S Scientific calculator.

As for recommendations, I've had decent luck with Apple hardware and their support is top notch (not perfect, lots of room for improvement, but better than most), heard good things about Lenovo (essentially, Lenovo took over IBM's PC business and didn't screw it up), and have had good luck with Sony.

My only problem with Sony laptops is that, AFAIK none of them have discreet graphics. So, you'll want to consider that.

The choice will really come down to how much you want to spend, and how heavily invested in a specific platform you are in regards to software.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vindicate
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 20462

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 00:16      Profile for Vindicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as of now i guess my main concern would be the processor and video card. processor min. i hope to do duo core T8100, still would want a quad core but none offered. for video cards, i have a general idea but don't know which has less problems. i hear that the 8400M and 8600M have the same overheating problem. but then hp only offers (dv900t) the 8600M GS nvidia card, while alienware has up to the crazy X9000 ($990 more), so was thinking maybe 8700M or 8800M. alien has the 8600M GT. so for video cards which is better 8600M GS or 8600M GT? looked around can't figure which is better. and then if say both suck 8700M? 8800M? ...sigh* this is stressful, thanks for answering guy, appreciate it.
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 11:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am assuming your interest in the powerhouse graphics processor means you are looking play games on your laptop.

Both MacBook Pro's come with a GeForce 8600GT graphics processor. The 15" has 256MB of GDDR3 RAM while the 17" has 512. The Lenovo's are all Intel integrated graphics except for the ThinkPad T61 15.4" which has NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M with 128MB RAM. Some Sony VAIO's (AR series in particular) also have 8600M GT graphics built in but it doesn't have RAM dedicated to the GPU.

As I said in my previous post I'd go with the 17" MacBook Pro. Sure if you want to play games on it you'd have to install Windows in Boot Camp but it's one sweet computer. The VAIO is cheaper though and you don't have to install Windows on it. Of course if you get the VAIO then I'd maximize the RAM so that you don't take too much of a performance hit from having to use some of the RAM for graphics.

I'm with tweety in discouraging you to get an HP laptop. I've seen too many HP computers have hardware issues to ever recommend them.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 11:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
so i guess i'm in need of a new laptop, great -.-''

It's usually fairly simple to replace the HD. If it's just the drive that's a problem, you don't actually need to buy a whole new machine.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2008 12:04      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rule of thumb that I live by and recommend. If it's 3 years or or really close to three years, replace the drive with and use the old one as a back up. Taking out of main usage lessens the the inevitable. Aside from that, the new drive you install will have a 3 or 5 year warranty depending on manufacturer.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2008 04:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
would want a quad core but none offered

they are now

quote:
From TFA:
Containing enough computational artillery to level a small village...
...the 17-incher sports the first ever Intel Quad Core Extreme CPU in a laptop (no word on speeds at this point) as well as the first showing of NVIDIA's Quadro FX 3700 graphics chipset (with a hefty 1GB of memory on-board).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
todin
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 41654

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2011 14:00      Profile for todin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laptop noise can sometimes be caused by dust in the cooling system. That happened to me and I used the method described here to get rid of it: http://rightinfonow.com/laptop-noise

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.