homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » How to restore something to the systray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to restore something to the systray
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 20:39      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been searching all over to fix something that really is very minor, but it's driving me batty. Somehow, my AIM icon got removed from the systray. Now, I'll admit I may have done it accidentally, but the past few weeks I've been rather ill and up all night and on funky drugs, so I plain don't remember what happened to it.

Nevertheless, I can't seem to get it back. This mainly bothers me because I hate having too much on the taskbar, and I like seeing if I'm set away or not. I did right-click>properties and tried to set it to "Always Show", but that didn't work. I tried dragging it back onto the systray. I tried looking through all the settings to find if I could re-add it. I also tried reinstalling AIM. No go. I'm out of ideas.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Posts: 18 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 04:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ishy________________________Take the tray back to the kitchen get new food and come back out with a smile.

I had to do that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 09:22      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ended up removing it (and the settings) from my system and installing the older version.
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 14:13      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that it matters now, but the newest version (Beta) you can't turn it off... but you could have told the tray to "hide inactive" and then locked the taskbar... but that is just a guess.

see: http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_us/articles.php?boardId=564689&articleId=212&func=5&channel=

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 14:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe 'tis just me, but perhaps it's time to switch to something like, oh, gaim? :)

(or Miranda IM if you're desperate)

Heck, for all I know, AOL might have made a half-decent client by now.

IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 16:26      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Maybe 'tis just me, but perhaps it's time to switch to something like, oh, gaim? [Smile]

Seconded. It's a pretty handy program, especially when you're like me, and have an account in ICQ/AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google, and occasionally like to go on IRC.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2006 23:42      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "Hide Inactive" and such did absolutely nothing. I tried every possible combination with that.

I've used Trillian before, but most of my friends use AIM and like to direct connect for picture sharing and other features. Those other chat clients don't keep up with that.

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2006 00:35            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bummer dude :P

Yeah I know ... direct IM is completely hosed in gaim. Don't think it ever worked, but I don't think it was worthwhile in Mac AIM either.

I took a different approach, I have a Web server on one of my computers here and I can whip up a link to a file pretty fast. It's also suitable for IRC and other IM protocols, showing several people at once, leaving for people who aren't around, posting to e-mails. For forums and mailing lists I am using my domain instead now, since it's faster and more reliable, and the files won't go away if I get bored of wasting power running a server here. But a local server is far easier and faster to work with.

I just have to make sure I cancel any direct IM attempts as it causes the conversation to stop working :)

I'd have thought that Trillian, being shareware/commercial, would have used the funding to pay for a greater level of development instead of the FOSS gaim where development is painfully slow due to, I imagine, a lack of time. Never did like Trillian, everyone seemed to have trouble with it, though it seems to actually work these days (finally!)

I can't tell you about AIM, though, since I've not used Windows AIM since about 2002. If it were me, I'd really scour all the settings first to make sure. Though, I will ask: the icon that you asked to "Always show", does the caption of the icon match the icon itself? (I've had Win XP show all the wrong icons in the tray icon config window ;) Also, is the icon listed under current icons or past icons? Past icons are ones that are not currently being used but have been seen before. Windows doesn't hide icons completely anyway, there is a little left-arrow button you can click to show hidden icons. My guess is that the icon you've asked to always show is listed in past icons and is not being shown at all: i.e. AIM is not placing the icon in the tray in the first place, not that Windows is hiding it.

I guess after that I'd start poking about in the Registry, and the various places it may have stashed settings, and see if I can find something to reset.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture