homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Geeks Defined

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Geeks Defined
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 22:36      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always throwing around the words 'nerd' 'dork', and 'GEEK'.
Now, I am quite releived to finally have a bit of clarification.

What is the difference ?...

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 00:12      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Wikipedia's definition for geek. I don't think "geek" has more to do with a mindset than an area of interest. I also tend to use geek & nerd interchangeably.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 01:58      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shoot me down in flames, if you must (and it seems that you do...) but I always thought that Douglas Coupland hit the proverbial nail on the head.

needless to say, when I try to find the source to quote at you, i can't... I'm pretty sure it's in Microserfs but I leave it to you lovely charming/charmless boys'n'girls to prove me wrong, as you undoubtedly will...

anyhoo- it was something along the lines of 'hireability' - 'geeks' realize that they have to, somehow, make a living; nerds don't. Fuggin 1d10tz, get real, ffs...

example: call me hey-U and I'll acknowledge your existence. Call me hugh and ditto. Call a nerd 'Mike' when its real name is 'Michael' and it'll ignore you. After all, 'Mike' isn't its name, right?

dorks, however, are an entirely different matter and I'm not sure I have (=want to have) a definition for it/them. Weirdos, pre-verts to a man (well? go on then, na...

How are you all, by the way?

:-)

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 01:59      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
was going to say...

name me just *one* girly dork.

if you can, if you dare...

;-)

oh, and good morning, btw

hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 02:15      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"sexist pig", you say?

pfft!

do I *look* like I care?

(="am I bovvered though?")

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 06:30      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my mindset the difference between geek, nerd, and dork are as follows:

Geek: someone who is interested or fasinated by technology. But in the process of the fasination still has a well balanced life.

Nerd: Someone who is interested or fasinated by technology. But who dosn't have a well balanced life outside of technology.

Dork: Someone who is not interested or fasinated by technology or sometimes a wannabe be geek/nerd. A dork is usually an outcast and is often ridiculed by his peers.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 06:56      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always considered "nerd" to connote general intelligence, whereas "geek" connoted a specific focus on a field. I suppose both have the potential to reach high positions in the workforce.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2006 12:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I tend to see geeks as the smart folk who do have a relatively normal life with friends. As such, there are limits as to how willing they are to engage in intellectual and scientific/technical conversation and activity. They're also much more narrow in how much of the world they will look at through a scrutinising eye and attempts to engage them in that pursuit will generally get you pushed away.

Nerds, in my view, are the people who are more universally interested in the world at a very close level, well past the point where a normal person or even a nerd has stopped caring. All the little details in everyday life that don't add up. They're also the people who take their interests truly to heart and there is never a bad time to talk about or get involved in what they love. They're not without friends, but like minds are much harder to come by, especially if their views on love and friendship are decidedly unconventional.

That's just the two words I use. The people are like that whichever way around the words go...

IP: Logged
benedicta de romulan
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 10:15      Profile for benedicta de romulan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the preferred term is "enthusiasts" b/c that is what we are, really, when it boils down to it . . . geeks have been associated with computers whereas nerds more so with academia and dorks I don't care what n e 1 says is just flat out derrogatory!

--------------------
What is life without a few dragons?

Posts: 1 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 10:23            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, where did Haiduc get to? She's not been around here or on MSN for weeks. She considers "dork" to be a positive word. I consider "nerd" to be simultaneously very positive and very negative, depending on with whom I am talking and what assumptions they will be making of the word. "geek" is mostly a negative word for me now.

"enthusiast" tends to be a hobby-oriented word, you have to be an enthusiast of a particular subject. For some reason, the first thing that comes to mind for me is model railways, followed by guns. I've never heard it used in an unqualified context, which you're suggesting means enthusiastic about anything and everything?

Of course, people are just people. It would be nice if we could each effectively summarise ourselves to the same degree without the use of unreliable and inaccurate words with such mixed social connotations. But to me, it's not the word that people use about themselves that I notice, but their mind and their work...

Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 11:46      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my mind:

Geek: Obsessed with many forms of entertainment media, such as video games, movies, comic books, computers/internet. Costumes and wide collections of merchandise are owned by many. Visually a geek is overweight or very thin due to malnutrition at movie theatres or never eating due to busy hands playing video games till 5am. Insults come from movie quotes usually done in the voice of Yoda.

Nerd: Obsessed with academics, increasing mind power, and being smarter than others. Collections may include microscope slides, calculus books, and pocket protectors. Visually a nerd typically wears glasses and has greasy hair from being up late studying. Insults contain words that derive from parts of the dictionary that no average man has heard before.

Dork: Pretends to like nerdy or dorky things but knows nothing about them or likes the lamer versions of them. Collections may include boogers, posters of ponies, and board games nobody likes to play. Visually a dork has greasy hair due to laziness, clothes that are way too small, and dirty socks. Insults tend to make no sense or originate from the 90s.

All of the above are socially aukward and laugh like idiots. Nerds and Geeks rarely mingle together and have separate clubs that dorks try to join.

** All stereotypical, of course [Smile] **

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 13:59      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
** All stereotypical, of course **
I was reading your post and every line i read made me think more and more of you as a stereotype. Then i read the last line of the post and just had to laugh.

I myself think of geek as the only positive term out of "geek, nerd, and dork". And find nerd and dork rather offensive. But i think it all depends on who you talk to and in which part of the world.

as for "enthusiast", i like uilleann thinks that its more of a hobby oriented word. Because if your a geek, nerd, or dork enthusiast just comes natural. Its just part of the package amongst other things. But the english language is constantly changing so maybe in a couple of decades these words will have become obsolete.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 14:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... are spelling and grammer nazis considered geeks, nerds or dorks?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2006 16:07      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only a dork would ask. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 02:10            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's one observation. The Geek Culture forums are very quiet on Friday and Saturday nights. Which suggests they're out with friends partying and getting up to stuff just the same as the normal folk. To me, that the forum is so quiet speaks volumes.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2006 03:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
The Geek Culture forums are very quiet on Friday and Saturday nights. Which suggests they're out with friends partying and getting up to stuff just the same as the normal folk.

Yes go on, rub it in. [cry baby]

</boring-old-fart>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 08:26      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Well, here's one observation. The Geek Culture forums are very quiet on Friday and Saturday nights. Which suggests they're out with friends partying and getting up to stuff just the same as the normal folk. To me, that the forum is so quiet speaks volumes.

The geeks are at LAN parties on the weekends, of course!
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 09:08            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this context, I find that pretty unlikely. Too few PC gamers.

Funny, when I had to choose whether fitting a USB or Ethernet card to Firetrack for connecting it to a cable modem, I chose Ethernet so that it would be LAN party ready. It's never left my room ... Not that it really would be much good at games, apart from watching pretty slideshows of Unreal Tournament. And of course, now, I can't walk out the house with my server.

Maybe one day. Then again, you can have more fun with an 8-bit home computer ...

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2006 09:31      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that I often quote Milhouse: "I'm not a nerd; nerds are smart."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture