homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » 2 msn messengers.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 msn messengers.
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 06, 2006 05:44      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right here's my problem:,

I have two different hotmail accounts.

I have two different MSN messenger accounts.

But the problem is I cant get two MSN messenger windows up on screen, to elaborate, I cant log into both my accounts at the same time, and therefore cant speak to the different people I have in the two different accounts simultaneously.

Is this just not possible to sign into two accounts of one computer, or am I missing somthing?

Thanks in advance. [Smile]

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 06:01      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you are missing something...

A decent multi protocol IM client!

I recommend Fire if you are on Mac or one of the others like Gaim, Trillian or perhaps Miranda if you are not...

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 07:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Yes you are missing something...

A decent multi protocol IM client!

I recommend Fire if you are on Mac or one of the others like Gaim, Trillian or perhaps Miranda if you are not...

[Smile]

(This post otherwise left intentionally blank as serenak covered everything perfectly, and I would just be rehashing what he said anyway..)
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 07:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd recommend Adium for OS X, actually - based on libgaim, and a very nice app. For all other platforms...Gaim. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 07:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is just something about that bloody green duck that puts me right off Adium (perhaps it is being old enough to have suffered Orville "I wish I could fly" the Duck that did it...) and I like Fire - but yeah or Adium...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 09:33            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can change Adium's icon.

Gaim, I'd be a bit wary about, the new 2.x series is want to lock up for random periods every time I try to select text, including when editing a message I'm about to send. I need to see it in Linux to figure out if the code is crap or if it's all down to Win32 GTK+. But then, Miranda is buggy and broken, Trillian is horribly buggy... Gaim, I am putting up with even if I have to periodically reload it when it's routinely freezing or giving me dancefloor fever window titles on focus.

I do wonder if Adium is the only one that actually works?

MSN support in Adium/Gaim is also a bit iffy and certainly you'll be missing out on all the most recent protocol features. You still can't even set a display picture above 96x96 :/

I'm also told that all the Mac OS X ones are too broken to use by a X user... (Fire and Proteus, even Adium, and this guy was only trying to do Yahoo with it I think! The official Yahoo client for X also appear to have major issues.)

At the end of the day, IRC seems to work the best, you'll always find a working IRC client for something (I adore ShadowIRC for classic Mac OS) and then you're sorted!

IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 09:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
You can change Adium's icon.

Gaim, I'd be a bit wary about, the new 2.x series is want to lock up for random periods every time I try to select text, including when editing a message I'm about to send. I need to see it in Linux to figure out if the code is crap or if it's all down to Win32 GTK+. But then, Miranda is buggy and broken, Trillian is horribly buggy... Gaim, I am putting up with even if I have to periodically reload it when it's routinely freezing or giving me dancefloor fever window titles on focus.

I do wonder if Adium is the only one that actually works?

MSN support in Adium/Gaim is also a bit iffy and certainly you'll be missing out on all the most recent protocol features. You still can't even set a display picture above 96x96 :/

I'm also told that all the Mac OS X ones are too broken to use by a X user... (Fire and Proteus, even Adium, and this guy was only trying to do Yahoo with it I think! The official Yahoo client for X also appear to have major issues.)

At the end of the day, IRC seems to work the best, you'll always find a working IRC client for something (I adore ShadowIRC for classic Mac OS) and then you're sorted!

I use bitlbee which is an msn/yahoo/icq/etc to IRC gateway. Then, I have my MSN, and all of my irc windows in one program on my server that I run a screen session on.

No file transfers or display icons or emoticons, but I'll live.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 13:22      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you can change the icon Uilleann... but that was really more of a joke than a real complaint by way of a sort of half hearted excuse for my personal preference for Fire... [Big Grin]

As for buggy - well I haven't had any problems with Fire - Yahoo Messenger is a bit prone to the odd "unexpected quit" but otherwise seems ok and to be honest I don't really use IM enough to care overly about it...

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 14:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of us never get out. This IM stuff just gotta work properly ;-)
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 15:39      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Trillian for 2 MSN, 1 AIM, and 1 Yahoo account. Never been buggy for me. There have been a couple of moments where it's dropped my connection to one service or another, but a global reconnect always fixes it.

Never used GAIM although I know it's quite popular.

Oh yeah....and I think you can use MSN messenger for one account and Windows Messenger for the other. Not as convenient as one multi-client, but I'm pretty sure it works.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 07:06      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I use bitlbee which is an msn/yahoo/icq/etc to IRC gateway. Then, I have my MSN, and all of my irc windows in one program on my server that I run a screen session on.

I tried BitlBee, but I like the file transfers and purty pictures through MSN too much. So I just screen irssi for IRC, and just Gaim for everything else [Smile]
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 09:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sorts of speeds do you get in gaim for MSN transfers? Seems the most you get in Britain through Microsoft's proxy is about 5 k/sec (i.e. 56k modem speed) for all file transfers combined.

Because gaim doesn't support direct peer to peer MSN file transfers (even if you have both your router and gaim set up for it) it falls back to going through an MSN proxy.

It's easier for me for larger files to put them on my Web or FTP server, although for smaller files (say, half a meg) it's not so bad doing it at dial-up speeds...

Maybe in the US you don't have such slow proxy speeds...

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 11:04      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
What sorts of speeds do you get in gaim for MSN transfers? Seems the most you get in Britain through Microsoft's proxy is about 5 k/sec (i.e. 56k modem speed) for all file transfers combined.

Phew... so it's not just me.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 12:25      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.mess.be

For those of you who cannot live without msn messenger, this patch allows multiple logins and a bunch of other useful options (like removing ad banners [evil] ) too.

My personal choice is trillian and you can always use www.meebo.com as a second client or when you're on the go.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 14:15      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH yeah I forgot MacMessenger (a free Mac OS X MSN client...)

--------------------

Sirius
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2006 05:43      Profile for Sirius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if your running XP and you still have the original messenger that comes with the OS (look in C:\Program Files\messenger) you can run that and the latest messenger simultaneously.

I know coz I just had a nice conversation with myself on msn [crazy] lol

but something like trillian is certainly the better way to go..

Posts: 16 | From: Perth | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture