homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Intel Core Duo Processor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intel Core Duo Processor
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2006 16:38      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody had any experience with this new processor? Is it really revolutionary for the laptop?

Intel Core Dual Processor

I am mostly curious because I am not sure what the technology is behind it. It reminds me of the blue CDs which I've forgotten the name of where there is several layers within a single CD of which you can write data onto. Spiffy! [crazy]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 06:41      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Core Duo and it has certainly revolutionized Apple's laptop lineup; it's a lot faster than the PowerPC chips they were using until last year.

I'm not speaking from experience, mind you. Unfortunately. [Frown]

I'm waiting till they release a model that runs Leopard.

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2006 11:05      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Core Duo has two processing cores -- that is, it's essentially two CPUs on a single chip. There are many efficiencies to be had bu this arrangement, which is one reason it kicks the pants off the G4 that it replaces in Apple's laptops.

The Core Solo has just one processing core, but still holds its own against the G4.

For PC laptops the Core chips are basically just the next step in the evolution of power. For the MacBook and MacBook Pro the Core chips are indeed a revolution.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Andrew Price
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5243

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 07:30      Profile for Andrew Price     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been running a dual core Mac Mini for about a month and I was so happy with it I have just bought a dual core macbook.
The macbook seems snappy enough in normal use, I haven't tried anything fancy yet like making an iMovie, but I have used iPhoto and Photoshop and been happy with the applications performance.

I'm used to an Alienware 3.2GHz laptop, and the macbook is good enough that I will be selling the alienware to a friend....so there is another switcher to the fold.

Andrew

Posts: 3 | From: Nyon | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 08:08      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew Price, Are you related to Vincent by any chance.

But anyway welcome to the forums.

I'm not getting the first generation of the new macs. I don't like doing that, I like to wait for the second or third revision to come out so they have time to work out some bugs.

Ok yes I did get the Mini when it first came out. I wanted a Cheap computer with a DVD burner and it was the perfect way to go for that.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Andrew Price
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5243

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 08, 2006 09:49      Profile for Andrew Price     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, what sweet music my children of the night make..... buwaaahhhh ha haaa.....
Posts: 3 | From: Nyon | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 02:30      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real core duo's are coming out starting july 26th. There's going to be major price drops in CPU's by Intel and AMD across the board starting approximately that date, so if you are planning a purchase, please hold off until august if possible, for some price drops in your favor.

--------------------
-Drasca
"To dream is the most wonderful and foolish thing there is"

Posts: 400 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture