homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » All about librarians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All about librarians
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 30, 2006 11:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got started reading a webcomic about people who work in a library (Unshelved if you're curious which one) and I got to thinking. I know that librarians need an advanced(?) degree, but I don't really know why. I'm sure it's just because of my unfamiliarity with the requirements of the job.

As far as I know librarians are required to
  • Choose which books are stocked
  • Organize the books on the shelves
  • Maintain records of who has which book checked out, when they are due, etc.
  • Collect fines
  • And, of course, have a general knowledge of where things are and what will be needed for different types of research

I know that is a difficult job, I'm not saying it's easy, but I just don't really see how you can learn that at Librarian school apart from maybe the Dewey Decimal system. Can anyone fill me in on what I'm missing?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 12:03      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes a Master's Degree to keep the card catalog updated.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 13:01      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long long time ago I dated a girl that was going to school for this ..... I never ask why a degree was needed. She was a double major. She was also going for Music composition and played 3 instruments .... Not to mention she was the pastors daughter (And yes it's true what they say about the pastors daughter)

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2006 13:52      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone still use a card catalog?
I worked in library software for a while (most of our customers were school librarians).
Librarians generally get a MLS (Master of Library Science) degree. Note that smaller libraries only have one librarian, the rest are library aids
Here is the ALA FAQ which covers some stuff:
http://www.ala.org/ala/accreditation/lisdirb/lisdirectory.htm

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 03:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I know that is a difficult job, I'm not saying it's easy, but I just don't really see how you can learn that at Librarian school apart from maybe the Dewey Decimal system. Can anyone fill me in on what I'm missing?
There is also the library of congress system too. (FWIW, that classification is growing at the University libraries here.)

It is very useful to be able to say: "I need a book on the relationship between existential philosophy and Heisenbergs uncertainty principle" and have a librarian understand what you are talking about. I would have thought that a degree simply demonstrates a certain academic ability, regardless of subject.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 06:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it's just something to up the prestige of the job, work the pay scale, and in general, protect the job market.

And yes, that is the general opinion of the librarians I'm friends with. [Smile] I rather love libraries, and know a few people going to library school at the moment. One of them is getting his degree paid for by his library, because they want to promote him, but can't without the MLS. Someday if I ever get bored of this industry, it's probably what I'll do.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 06:32      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a little about this.... My mother is the librarian at a K-12 school near where I grew up. She got her masters while I was in high-school. I think her minor for her undergrad was library science.

I don't think it is *needed* but I know that having the degree made it much more likely she could get a librarian job. If you are looking to hire a librarian and of the 10 resumes you have 3 have a masters in library science - which 3 are likely to get the interview and which are likely to see the trash bin?

Being a school district employee and covered by teachers union contract also made having the advanced degree attractive because it gave her a boost in pay.

Material selection is a big part of being a good librarian. The material has to be appropriate to the users of the library, attractive so they use it, what they want, and hopefully useful and informative. Lots of review reading. Of course with libraries over the last 20+ years that has morphed from being mostly books and magazines to now much of it being other media types such as CDs, DVDs, books on tape, computer software, etc. This becomes more of a "people" issue than just the purchasing and cataloging of material. Throw in a dash of retail type stuff for drawing people in and making the library a good place to use the material there. You see displays of the latest "stuff" at a library just like you do at your local retail store.

For my mom in particular there is teaching library skills to the elementary kids, and being able to help the high-schoolers.

There is also the "management" side of things - from dealing with other employees if you are the head librarian, to dealing with budgets of everything from capital expenses (buildings, shelving, etc) to electricity costs to the cost of books and media.

So - I don't think it is *necessary* - but it doesn't hurt and is one of those jobs where it has become expected.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 07:57      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a parallel "profession" that is loosely described as Information Architect (Boxes and Arrows dot com) that draws from Library Science, web architecture, database designer/programmer, etc. To my knowledge, Information Architecture is not something one can get a degree in, but is likely to be something that many larger businesses/organizations would need to develop systems for organizing data--so who knows...maybe there will be a MSIA someday.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 08:38      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Library Sciences Department here has a few degree programs... There are specialities in the feild. One is akin to an IT degree and the other with a focous on research techniques.

That said, a general librairian doesn't need a degree to know the dewy decimal system or to do ordinary tasks. But, other types of librarians are called in to research certian topics. Take a look at Google Knowlge Base and "ready reference" type services...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 3 posted June 07, 2006 15:46      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The people with the advanced degrees will receive higher pay. They can move within many types of special libraries ie medical librarian, law librarian, or corporate specializations for research. The link to the ALA web site that Brian
posted is a good place to investigate. The MLS degree is the ground floor degree for any professional librarian starting his or her career. Many Librarian positions require the MLS
degree as requisite for application.

The bachelors degree in Library science will place one in a public or school library most likely. Often while working on the MLS degree. The PhD in library science will position one as an administrator of a facility or a director of regional system.

Special Libraries Association

Most libraries today purchase their cataloging from vendors and rarely do original cataloging.
Those employed in cataloging and acquisitions today will deal with the vendors and if they can't find an LC number they will create some original classification within the parameter of the union list. Acquisitions librarians will utilize book selection tools and place orders thru certain vendors or jobbers. Still they will prefer MLS if they can get it.

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 09:27      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conan never had a Master's Degree.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 10:25      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Conan never had a Master's Degree.

Sure he did. A Master's of the Universe...

Oh, wait. I guess that was the other guy in a loin-cloth with a big sword. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 12:31      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in England, you can take several different types of "book keeping" course/degrees, not entirely sure as to what that entails, but have seen the courses being advertised in uni applications I looked at, there not short either, or cheap!, so I pursume they are fairly looked after in the librarian world.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 12:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm, bookkeeping typically refers to accounting... to balancing the books... ensuring the finances of a company are healthy.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2006 12:48      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My eldest sister is a Librarian. The area of study she enjoyed the most doing her degree was Phys-Bib.
That is.. Physical Bibliography.. where you study the history and technique of making books. Printing, binding, paper making etc. It always sounded cool to me. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2006 13:47      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Ummm, bookkeeping typically refers to accounting... to balancing the books... ensuring the finances of a company are healthy.

It is an module in the degree [blush]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture