homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Utility to convert Word to PDF on Windows?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Utility to convert Word to PDF on Windows?
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 07:23      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,

I'm hoping someone here can recommend a good Windows utility to convert Word docs to PDF files.

The background:

I've got a friend who is using Word 2000 on Windows ME, all on a very old laptop. She wants to send her Word docs to me so I can read them on my Mac. I can open the Word docs fine, but the fonts and pagination get all messed up. So I suggested that she send them as PDF files. She needs a cheap, reliable utility that can do that.

I searched for Word-to-PDF conversion utilities on the web, and found a LOT of programs that seem to fit the bill. As I was looking through them, it occurred to me that I know nothing about Windows programs, and that without direct experience of the program I could easily end up recommending a program that hides a nasty malware-type surpise. I'm therefore hoping that some kind person on this list can make a good recommendation.

The program needs to be:

1. Able to run on Windows ME and handle Word 2000 docs.
2. Malware-free.
3. Easy to use, as my friend is not a computer geek.
4. Cheap, as my friend is not rich either.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 29, 2006 08:08      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
openoffice.org!
It's an office replacement, but it is free and exports to pdf

writer specs (word processing component)

System Requirements

Enjoy [Smile]

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 08:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragon34 makes a good point. Openoffice can read the various MS word documents, and it can export to PDF right out-of-the-box.

And it's free.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 08:55      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
dragon34 makes a good point. Openoffice can read the various MS word documents, and it can export to PDF right out-of-the-box.

And it's free.

Compile it yourself, otherwise it's bloated and slow as fuck on not so up to date computers.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 13:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

And it's free.

Compile it yourself, otherwise it's bloated and slow as fuck on not so up to date computers.
Also, the page boundaries can sometimes be a little different. I have a document that's exactly 6 pages in Word, 6.5 pages in OOo. It took me about 0.5 hour of tinkering to get the pagination right in OOo before I could produce the .pdf I wanted.

Otherwise, I quite like OOo, it's slow to start up, but once it's running I don't notice it being any slower than the M$ product.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 14:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...
pdfcreator.sf.net

HAND.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 14:41      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love OpenOffice.Org as wel, but if your just looking for PDFs you can also install free (as in beer or FOSS) "PDF printer"s... OO.o is how I tyically do it (but that's because I generally use Linux.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 15:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I love OpenOffice.Org as wel, but if your just looking for PDFs you can also install free (as in beer or FOSS) "PDF printer"s... OO.o is how I tyically do it (but that's because I generally use Linux.

Look back one minute prior. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2006 15:10      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great minds, I guess... [Big Grin]

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 19:03      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

My friend already had OO.o downloaded and installed by the time dragonman posted his suggestion, but I'll pass that on to her as well since PDFCreator looks pretty good and will allow her to do what she wants without booting another application. (I suspect she'll keep working in Word for the time being.)

I appreciate the help!

Danapoppa

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 04:34      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use PDF Creator regularly at my work to export drawings to clients, I have nothing bad to say about the software.
I've personally used it for drawings of sizes from ANSI A (8.5 X 11) to ANSI E (34 x 44), and it works quite well.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture