homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Hacker: why is it spelled "h4x0r" in leet speak ?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hacker: why is it spelled "h4x0r" in leet speak ??
satyr
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 07:23      Profile for satyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all once more ...

This time, I am interested why in the so-called "l33t [email protected]": http://ryanross.net/leet, the word "hacker" is spelled as: "h4x0r", "h4x0R", or "h4X0R" ?? I mean instead of 6 letters only 5, and also in my opinion, the letter "x" (or "x0") doesn't even resemble "ck" part (or "cke")

thanks in advance, satyr

--------------------
Check out my personal computing-related website: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you're interested in reading my articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules and such.

Posts: 31 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia, Europe | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure of the origin of it, or why it is, but it's actually pronounced like it looks.

'hacksore'

I think it probably came from 'hacks' at some point.. then someone made that into 'hax'

And then someon else would have thought it was funny to put the 'er' back on the end.

haxer.

Then, put that into l33t, and you have h4x0r.

How's that for a really bad explanation?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also written as haxx0r sometimes. That would make it a likely candidate to become h4x0r (a -> 4, reduce redundant Xs). Don't try too hard to understand script kiddies - they're illiterate morons.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 09:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
satyr________________It also makes it easier to spot a non-geek when they come here, this board sort of frowns on not so correct english.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 10:16      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possible idea:
haXOR -- contains XOR or a variant...

I've seen thanks shortened to thnx.

I think they shorten to be lazy, and then create the most god-awful key combinations when they make it "kewl" by "l33t1ng" it. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 10:32      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I'm not sure of the origin of it, or why it is, but it's actually pronounced like it looks.

'hacksore'

Maybe someone thought it was cool because it sounds like 'hacksaw'.

But no, your explaination sounds more reasonable.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 12:25      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, AIMers and script kiddies think they invented all this stuff. But if you use a TTY (or relay for the deaf), this is all common place: u and ur for you and your, thx for thanks, k for ok, etc. I wonder how much of it evolved independently, and how much of it crossed over from the deaf community?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 12:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Possible idea:
haXOR -- contains XOR or a variant...

That would imply some level if ingenuity from script kiddies.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 13:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a guess, I would say it descends from the use of sux for sucks. Hax for Hacks. A zero with a slash could be substituted for an e based on similar shape, then the A/4 substitution. All that leads to H4x0r.

Of course, I'm pulling all of this out of... umm... we'll just say thin air. It's all guesswork.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
satyr
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4215

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 15:09      Profile for satyr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, thanks all for your educative explanations, well, to be more precise: thanks for the "variants" of explanations, lol ...

satyr

--------------------
Check out my personal computing-related website: http://tadej-ivan.50webs.com/ if you're interested in reading my articles, discoveries, hints, principles, rules and such.

Posts: 31 | From: Ljubljana, Slovenia, Europe | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 21:40      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus leetspeak often makes use of reversed/mirrored symbols (e.g. 3 standing for E). 'X' could be seen as a very simplified backwards c and a k without a stem mushed together.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 21:56      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
It's also written as haxx0r sometimes. That would make it a likely candidate to become h4x0r (a -> 4, reduce redundant Xs). Don't try too hard to understand script kiddies - they're illiterate morons.

Thanks for the new .sig.
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 22:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
satyr________________It also makes it easier to spot a non-geek when they come here, this board sort of frowns on not so correct english.

Now there's an understatement if I ever saw one.

/me goes back to watching people rationalize AIMglish

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SuperFuzzyQuantumFoam
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4999

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted March 22, 2006 02:26      Profile for SuperFuzzyQuantumFoam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst thing to do these days is to call yourself a "l337 hax0r" as mostly script kiddies use this term to describe themselves. Even the term cyberpunk is being abused by them.. [Mad]

--------------------
Those who can't do, teach... And those who can't teach, teach gym.

Posts: 3 | From: Llama Land | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 06:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SuperFuzzyQuantumFoam:
The worst thing to do these days is to call yourself a "l337 hax0r" as mostly script kiddies use this term to describe themselves. Even the term cyberpunk is being abused by them.. [Mad]

You're angry about them abusing the term 'cyberpunk'?

I have no qualms: I certainly wasn't about to use it myself, ya know?

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 06:49      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of my favourite films relate to cyberpunk.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 08:27      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'cyberpunk' and 'cyber-' have fallen mostly into disuse (thankfully) with the exception of "cyberspace."

I realize that this topic isn't about cracking and script kiddies, except by proxy, but I've gotta say it. What I don't get are the real hackers/crackers that create the scripts the kiddies use. I suppose there are two types:
- "Hey, this is proof of concept of a serious problem..." Where the intent is to draw attention to the holes in the fences around the army bases. I can understand this, iff they approached the company and informed them of the problem, gave ample time and their demonsrtation wasn't meant to do harm just show that it is possible.

- "Hey, look... I can cripple this system. But, if I do it, I'll get arrested. I know, lets post the script and watch a million skriptKiddies take the internet by force, and all claim the script is theirs. So, even if I get caught, I can say 'I just found this script on the net.'" I can't understand this one at all. What is the kick or high of doing this...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 09:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
'cyberpunk' and 'cyber-' have fallen mostly into disuse (thankfully) with the exception of "cyberspace."

I realize that this topic isn't about cracking and script kiddies, except by proxy, but I've gotta say it. What I don't get are the real hackers/crackers that create the scripts the kiddies use. I suppose there are two types:
- "Hey, this is proof of concept of a serious problem..." Where the intent is to draw attention to the holes in the fences around the army bases. I can understand this, iff they approached the company and informed them of the problem, gave ample time and their demonsrtation wasn't meant to do harm just show that it is possible.

- "Hey, look... I can cripple this system. But, if I do it, I'll get arrested. I know, lets post the script and watch a million skriptKiddies take the internet by force, and all claim the script is theirs. So, even if I get caught, I can say 'I just found this script on the net.'" I can't understand this one at all. What is the kick or high of doing this...

I'm not sure of what the actual ratio is, but I'd suggest that the first case is the more likely one. I've dealt with enough companies about bad security practices myself that sometimes the only option is to release an exploit to show people what can be done.

95% of the time I've tried to contact a company to notify them of an exploit or security problem in their software, I get some low level slackjawed e-mail puppet who sends me back a canned response (that, oddly enough, almost always blames it on my browser and/or cookie settings, whether or not its even relevant [or even involves their website at all]).

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 12 posted March 22, 2006 18:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drunkennewfiemidget wrote:
95% of the time I've tried to contact a company to notify them of an exploit or security problem in their software, I get some low level slackjawed e-mail puppet who sends me back a canned response (that, oddly enough, almost always blames it on my browser and/or cookie settings

That's because you're either using an out of date browser or not allowing cookies to be set on your system. If you'd just upgrade to the most recent version of IE and allow cookies, I'm sure you'd find far different emails in your inbox [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 18:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
drunkennewfiemidget wrote:
95% of the time I've tried to contact a company to notify them of an exploit or security problem in their software, I get some low level slackjawed e-mail puppet who sends me back a canned response (that, oddly enough, almost always blames it on my browser and/or cookie settings

That's because you're either using an out of date browser or not allowing cookies to be set on your system. If you'd just upgrade to the most recent version of IE and allow cookies, I'm sure you'd find far different emails in your inbox [Big Grin]

Nah...his computer would be inoperable. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 19:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shush! I'm trying to be evil here [Wink]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 22:22      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy shmoley, I did not realise there was a HUGE Wikipedia article on l337.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

--------------------

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 23:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
Holy shmoley, I did not realise there was a HUGE Wikipedia article on l337.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Dude, 1337 is *so* 1990's.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 21:34      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Dude, 1337 is *so* 1990's.

For sure. That's why all the cool kids I know say "fully sick mate!" now. [Razz]

--------------------

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2006 01:28      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really. I thought it was because Ian Thorpe said so advertsing Uncle Toby's OTs.

Crickey! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture