homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What do you know? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do you know?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 17:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
Uhm... I'm a cunning linguist

Is this code for an occupation similar to FireSnake's? [Confused]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 17:28      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:

I'm good at ... blow jobs.

A very marketable skill [evil]
Probably my most marketable skill, honestly. I think I'll stick with practicing it in the amateur arena though.

Don't worry GMx, despite the conversation, I don't think I really give off a friendly and approachable vibe. More like "I bet she has molars like a lamprey and it's an evil trick" vibe, I think.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 19:41      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

I'm good at ... blow jobs.

A very marketable skill [evil]
Probably my most marketable skill, honestly. I think I'll stick with practicing it in the amateur arena though.

Don't worry GMx, despite the conversation, I don't think I really give off a friendly and approachable vibe. More like "I bet she has molars like a lamprey and it's an evil trick" vibe, I think.

But that's the way I like them...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2006 23:30      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

I've been told I'm a kick ass guitarist, a decent singer, a good-enough-to-get-by pianist and a wicked drummer.

Maybe so, but I hear you suck on the organ.

/Proof I don't need Elton John to use that line albeit laaaaaaaate.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 00:16      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm good a figuring things out, deducing the causes of problems. It's my main skill used for repairing computers, that is when I actually get a challenge and not just another Virus hunt. It's also the main skill I use when fixing cars, although my knowledge of cars is limited, I'm pretty good at looking at what's going on and tracing it to what could be causing it (with the exception of the computerized bits). This makes me good at all sorts of problem solving things from computers, to cars, to relationships.

I'm good at listening. I like to listen to people, when I listen to them I can understand them better, even if I don't agree with what they have to say. By listening at least I can better understand why they feel the way they do.

I'm good at helping people see the answers that are right in front of them, that is, I'm good at making people look at the truth that they're trying to avoid. Admittedly, though, sometimes I'm not so good at looking at the truth that's in front of me... but that's for another thread....

I'm good at explaining things to people in a way that helps them understand. I explained the difference between the Linux Kernel and the GNU utilities that run on it to a technophobe tonight and she understood.

I'm very musical. I play guitar, trumpet, piano, and accordion. I'm currently learning the ukulele. I love to play and to sing and I find it very spiritually edifying.

Alas, I'm not one for "hard knowledge." I prefer to figure things out as I go along, drawing on previous expierences and the knowledge gained from them. I have a habit of learning what I need to know for the present situation, which leaves me as a jack of all trades but a master of none.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 06:07      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think I really give off a friendly and approachable vibe. More like "I bet she has molars like a lamprey and it's an evil trick" vibe, I think.

Nah, that's not the impression I got last night. [evil]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 12:08      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think I really give off a friendly and approachable vibe. More like "I bet she has molars like a lamprey and it's an evil trick" vibe, I think.

*extends hand* Welcome, friend, to the Ladies With A Twisted Agenda sewing circle.
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 12:15      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's start with computers...

Technical troubleshooting via remote (aka phone, IRC, messaging, etc) support (MS).

I can repair and replace parts on most cell phones (the trickiest part is getting them gutted/open).

I'm a system administrator (FreeBSD) but also have 'official' training in Solaris, HPUX, IRIX, OS/2 Warp, TRU64, UniSYS, RedHat, and various MS products.

I'm an excellent in the areas of technical writing, procedure writing, manual writing, and guide papers.

I am good at coding: HTML, Java Script, Java, ASP, Perl, PHP, Shell Scripting (in C, BASH, and KORN Shells), COBOL, C++, and I am well versed in VS .NET.

I am an expert when dealing with Sendmail configuration, IMAP/POP, IMAP/POP via SSL, DNS/Bind 8, IIS, Apache, Samba, NFS, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL, and Firewall.

I'm also an expert at the RUBIX cube, which fits in with my analytical and problem solving skills.

I'm a good 'Chef' as long as it's for a limited party (8 or less).

I have a talent for giving great massages. (I have been a masseur at times.)

I also over prepare for almost everything.

Other, not so geeky talents...
Armoring (creating my own armor out of steel and aluminum), Brewing, Sewing, Minting, Tailoring, Leatherworking, and Medieval Fighting Styles (Sword & Shield, Dual Sword, Rapier, etc.) These talents were learned through the SCA.

I think that about sums it up, at least for the [g] rated boards.

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 15:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

*extends hand* Welcome, friend, to the Ladies With A Twisted Agenda sewing circle.
It's kind of cute how they get all paranoid though, isn't it?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 17:20      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:

It's kind of cute how they get all paranoid though, isn't it?
Yes it is cute. The look of excited dread is priceless too.
Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture