homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » A low disk space issue. . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A low disk space issue. . .
HBdoubleJ
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2005 23:57      Profile for HBdoubleJ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
K, geeks I need your help. I will try to explain this problem as well as I can with my limited computer knowledge.

It's real simple. My computer is saying I have low disk space and need to free up space by disk cleanup or deleting programs. So, the first time this pops up I go in and delete some files we no longer use and use disk cleanup. Then my computer is running fine, and lo and behold a day later after not downloading anything just internet browsing it says I have low disk space. So, I again delete more programs and files. And again after just hours this time I have NO disk space. Because of this issue I have no media player because my comp is saying it cant hold it. Basically, all I can use my computer for is internet browsing and even that doesn't work too well. Some sites wont load very well or even load at all. Can somebody help?!?!?

Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:31      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a Windows box or a Mac?

Assuming you have a Windows PC, you can try this tiny application.

This program flushes all the temporary files, cookies and whatever unnecessary. I have never experienced any problems so far, but you know, try it at your own risk.. [ohwell]

You should consider a HDD upgrade tough..

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
HBdoubleJ
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:36      Profile for HBdoubleJ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is, I can't download anything. Won't let me cause of limited space. I have Windows PC. Is it possibly a virus or something similiar? Any way of locating such thing without downloading anything?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried going into your browsing options in IE (assuming you're using Internet Explorer) and clearing your cache, deleting all cookies, etc.? Sometimes the cache gets jammed up with all sorts of junk and that screws up your response time.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3846 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
HBdoubleJ
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:49      Profile for HBdoubleJ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are talking about going into tools, then Internet Options, then deleting all the cookies, and temporary internet files. Then yes I HAVE to do this every so often, this enables some web pages to actually load but after about awhile of browsing it starts slowing down and no loading so again I have to go in and delete cookies, and temporary internet files. It's almost like the only space my computer will hold is just like an hour of internet browsing, then have delete it and can go another hour, if that makes any sense at all. . .
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:52      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guesses:

1.) You've got one huge program that's hording a LOT of space, so you're always up against the wall.

2.) Cache and history are filling the computer because they are set to retain too much, and you're addicted to the net...

3.) There is malware on the machine filling the harddrive with junk data.

Suggestions:

Clear all malware (run an AV, SpyBot, and adaware at the very least), clear all browser history/chache/cookies, and remove larger programs. Defragment the hard drive (if it's a Win/DOS machine). Buy new hard drive.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HBdoubleJ
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4761

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 00:55      Profile for HBdoubleJ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. I see. Well, this bites. Any suggestions on a really good computer in the "600$" price range? This one is pretty old.
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 01:40      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a mini. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 02:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see this occasionally on my windoze box.
Clearing cache, emptying recycle bin, etc as described above followed by a reboot often makes the problem go away. I've never bothered tracking it down properly, but my vague suspicion is that some app I'm running has a resource leak that causes disk space to get 'eaten away' steadily, the reboot starts again with a clean slate. The 'free space' figure can often increase by several hundred megabytes after the reboot.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 02:24      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need a new computer.... just a second hard drive for your current one.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 12:05      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could be paging out.

i just found out that my ibook has a 9GB swap file sitting in it...
yeah...

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 12:29      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
You don't need a new computer.... just a second hard drive for your current one.

He has a Windows PC, he needs a new computer.

Neeeeext.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 13:05      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
could be paging out.

yeah...

How is that even possible? I thought the architectural limit to all memory-physical and virtual- was 2 gigabytes for a 32-bit system.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 19:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends wrote:
How is that even possible? I thought the architectural limit to all memory-physical and virtual- was 2 gigabytes for a 32-bit system.

Assuming it was a Windows system, Fat32 supports 4 gigabyte file sizes. NTFS supports 16 terrabyte file sizes. There is absolutely nothing in Windows to prevent the swap file from being larger than the actual amount of memory that the OS can actually utilize.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 20:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, guys...this is on Tut's iBook. That'd be an Apple, running OS X, using HPFS+. Still fscking crazy! (pun intended)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 20:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add the word "even" to the beginning of my post and it will make more sense.

Mac and Windows both can have swap file sizes in excess of 2GB. The difference is that it's a feature in OS X and a programming error with Windows.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 21:21      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
could be paging out.

yeah...

I think it's 4 GB limit, considering they sell two packs of 2 gig memory sticks.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 04:58      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But OS X is 64 bit (well partially anyway) and can address 8GB of RAM so a 9GB swap wouldn't seem too unbelievable (although I would be rather surprised to see one unless you were rendering Toy Story 3 or something...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1922 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 13:41      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HBdoubleJ:
Huh. I see. Well, this bites.

No, it bytes.

Get a Mac Mini and be happy.

Chicks dig it. Metrosexual males dig it. You buy one, and you will dig it.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 13:55      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
But OS X is 64 bit (well partially anyway) and can address 8GB of RAM so a 9GB swap wouldn't seem too unbelievable (although I would be rather surprised to see one unless you were rendering Toy Story 3 or something...

But It's an architectural limit. The OS may be compiled to run on a 64 bit machine if it wants to, but in the end it comes down to the processor. It IS 4 gigabytes for a 32-bit machine (2^32 = 4 gigabytes). On a 64-bit platform, it's something like 16 exabytes (whatever 4 gigs squared is).

There can only be as much memory as a pointer will effectivey point to. And since pointers are only as wide as the architecture on which they exist, the memory limit is effectively that of a pointer.

Right?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 14:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends wrote:
There can only be as much memory as a pointer will effectivey point to. And since pointers are only as wide as the architecture on which they exist, the memory limit is effectively that of a pointer.

Right?

Right... unless you resort to insanely convuluted schemes to access more.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2006 14:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M$ recommends your swap file be three times as large as the amount of physical memory you have. A vendor for a piece of software we use strongly suggested we adhere to this, and I told him he was crazy. There was no way I was creating a 4.5 GB swap file!!! If a system needs this, there is some seriously bad sh*t going on.

(Oh, and on average, I've found this system rarely uses more than 350 MB of RAM...total!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 14:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it's the 64 bit version of Windows, it won't actually use more than 4GB of physical/virtual memory, so your maximum swap file shouldn't be more than 4GB - physical memory.

Incidentally, as far as I know, Microsoft does not make that recommendation and it's arse backwards if you think about it. On a system with lots of memory, you would naturally need less space for virtual memory than on a system with limited memory. Using N * memory to determine maximum swap file size will result in exactly the opposite of what you need.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2006 14:46      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
nerdwithnofriends wrote:

Right?

Right... unless you resort to insanely convuluted schemes to access more.

It is little bit more complicated than that these days...
Virtual Memory means basically that Linear Address Space is not the same as Virtual Address Space. It is quite possible, to have multiple 32-bit address spaces and that is what modern OSes do.

Virtual memory means that you virtualize the address space so that there is no longer a one to one relationship between physical address space and the process's address space. It is true that this allows you to put some addresses in a swap file, but it also means that you can use indirection to exceed what most people think of as the 32-bit memory limit.

On Windows you can use Physical Address Extension (PAE) and Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) to exceed the Physical Address limits and per Process Address space limits respectively. This is made even more complicated on Windows, because the address for a process is divided into two parts with 2GB for the kernel (or 1GB with the \3GB boot.ini switch enabled) and the rest for the process itself.

Despite being mainly a Mac I guy I have never really need to deal with this on OS X and I am not sure if there are equivalent functions, but I would assume there are.

Some references for further research:
Wikipedia Article on Virtual Address Space
MSDN Blog on a recent spate of /3GB articles
MSDN Large Memory Support

P.S. The above statements may only be virtually true because the subject is more complex than the space I had to address the issue.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.