homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » recording vocals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recording vocals
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 01:14      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a home studioer and i have trouble with recording vocals, especially with microphone placement. I can't seem to get a decent recording that sounds natural. I usually get a weird airy sound with a lot of pops in it.

I'm using a brethinger cardiod mic and it works ok for recording acoustic gutair. Am i placing the mic wrong or do I need another type of microphone?

This never happened the few times i've performed song live and i had a "sound guy" set everything for the PA up for me.

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 08:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You probably need to put a pop screen in front of the mike. You can buy one, but a cheaper alternative is to take a coat hanger and bend it into a circle, then put a nylon hose over it. Attach it to your mike stand some way, then make sure it's in front of the mike a couple of inches away. I'm sure there's some sites out there that can show you exactly how to do this. You might need to do some eq-ing also. Are you sure the mike is cartiod? If you're getting too much background, it might be omnidirectional. Also, you might be standing too close or too far from the mike. Experiment a little. Compression might also help.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 08:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another idea is to lower the mic volume and raise your voice. Sometimes if the mic is overboosted it will begin to pick up lots of background noise and you vocal pops will be more noticable.

And the same settings for instrumental work will rarely work for vocal work. So experiment, experiment, experiment. This is the reason a good sound person gets paid so well.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 09:26      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I get a surprisingly good sound out of my PowerBook's internal mike, probably because I have to shout over the noise of my hard disk.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture