homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Strange Pluralizations (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strange Pluralizations
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 21:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you pluralize Bloody Mary? Do you ever have less than two panini?

...Just a few questions inspired by ads at work. I'll add more questions as I think of them, but right now I really need to know the answer to the Bloody Mary question.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 21:17      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
How do you pluralize Bloody Mary?

"Make it a double, barkeep"

*rimshot

/here all week, try the veal and tip your waitresses

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 21:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody Mary is a proper name, so I'd just add an "s".

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 21:41      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bloody Marys.

What's the singular of data?

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 22:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
datum

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 01:28      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is is so hard to convince my boss that if you have fewer than two criteria, but more than none, it's a criterion?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 01:42      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, you guys in here really have the goodest grammar I have seen on the internet..

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 01:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you guys in here really have the goodest grammar I have seen on the internet..
Shouldn't that be the bestest? [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 02:10      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Why is is so hard to convince my boss that if you have fewer than two criteria, but more than none, it's a criterion?

Heh... that's one of my favourite things too...

There's a section in Schott's Original Miscellany about pluralising some compound terms... I can't remember many, but I know it's 'Doctors Who' rather than 'Doctor Whos'. And, of course, 'passers by' rather than 'passer byes'.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 06:41      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
I know it's 'Doctors Who' rather than 'Doctor Whos'. And, of course, 'passers by' rather than 'passer byes'.

This is true except when it is "Dr. Whos."

-

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 07:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is pluralization different in Americanese than it is in English though? Either way, "two Bloodies Mary" just doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway, sometimes it's better to reconstruct the whole sentence than to use obscure rules to get something like "Are both Doctors Who's TARDISes blue?" It's longer but more clear to ask, "Did both the first and fifth Doctor Who have a blue TARDIS?" At least I think so. So there. [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 07:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is pluralization different in Americanese than it is in English though? Either way, "two Bloodies Mary" just doesn't sound right to me.
Yes, we spell it the proper way - "pluralisation" [Big Grin]

But seriously, the thing about pluralising compound terms is to decide whether the compound can be split into a noun and an adjective, and if so, then pluralise only the noun. For example, if a soldier had to appear before a Court martial on several different occasions, he would have been present at several Court-s martial. (hyphen for illustrative purposes only [Wink] )

With the Bloody Mary example , if you refer to the historical figure, then Bloody is the adjective and Mary is the noun, therefore, had there been more than one of her, we would say "Bloody Marys". With the Drink, both words together form the noun, so "Bloody Marys" still applies.

Doctor Who complicates matters slightly, but only becasue he is fictional. If we treat him as though he was real, his various incarnations should be described as the Doctors Who. However, if we were refering to collectible figurines, then you could ask how many Doctor Whos a person had acquired.

Clear as mud. [Big Grin]

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 07:53      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

Doctor Who complicates matters slightly, but only becasue he is fictional. If we treat him as though he was real, his various incarnations should be described as the Doctors Who. However, if we were refering to collectible figurines, then you could ask how many Doctor Whos a person had acquired.

Clear as mud. [Big Grin]

Thanks heavens we're not dealing with several physicians and their (English) kit. You know,
"Doctors whose..." Or worse, physicians that had acquired a collection of Doctor Whos, as in,

"Doctors whose Doctor Whos..." [Big Grin]

Okay. I think I'm done now. TGIF

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 09:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlicguy - are you thinking of four medical brothers, family name 'Who', all trying do decide ownership of their childhood collection of action figures? If so, the issue is:

Amongst the Doctors Who, whose Doctor Whos belong to whom, and should the Doctors Whos belong to whichever of the Doctors Who claims them first?

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 09:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danged if I know?? [Confused]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 09:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it should be Bloody Mary's. [Wink]

Please don't kill me, I'm only kidding. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 09:52      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I think it should be Bloody Mary's. [Wink]

Please don't kill me, I'm only kidding. [Big Grin]

Maybe we should work at pluralising dragon(s) and man (men) and their friends and toys?

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 12:35      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we should just give up an all have some Bloody Marys [crazy]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 12:38      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention parliaments of owls, knots of toads, murders of rooks, gaggles of geese, etc.

[evil]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 12:45      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's the collective noun for geek? Any ideas or suggestions?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 12:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick grammar question:
"followup," "follow-up," or "follow up?"

From an e-mail in my draft folder:
"I'm CCing you on this as a follow-up about foobarbaz."

dict seems to put the most weight behind "follow-up," but does seems to offer 'followup' as an option.

Google Fight also backs 'follow-up'
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=follow-up&word2=%22follow+up%22
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=follow-up&word2=%22followup%22

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 12:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

A gaggle of geeks?

Or a directory of technophiles?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 13:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi dragonman97

'Follow-up' is the noun, as per your example:" I'm CCing you on this as a follow-up about foobarbaz."

However, 'follow up' is the phrasal verb, as in 'please follow up any initial suggestions with a more detailed proposal later'.

'Followup', as far as I am aware, isn't a word, but I am open to correction....

Hope this helps. [Smile]

maximile - how about a "spectacle" of geeks? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Stormtalon
Mini Geek
Member # 1163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 13:07      Profile for Stormtalon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

A gaggle of geeks?

Or a directory of technophiles?

Pshaw. It's obviously a .tar of geeks.

[Big Grin]

Stormtalon

--------------------
Those who are easily offended should be.
And often.

WoW: The Crazy Ones

Posts: 73 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 15:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash: Thanks!

Stormalon: Shouldn't that be a 'tarball of geeks?' =P

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture