homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » help (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: help
pcdummy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 19:53      Profile for pcdummy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a Compaq presario. i put in a ram to have more memory. i want to use a dazzle 90 to make dvds from my old VCR tapes and from the stuff i've taped from the satellite system. i did get the 9-11 thing on discovery on my puter but when trying to burn a DVD it tell me i don't have enough disc space to do it. it says to free up some space. i've tried to take off everything i can to free space but it isn't helping. i was wondering if i got an external hard drive would this let me work with this dazzle thing?
Posts: 4 | From: missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 20:05      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a little guide that I have put together for those n00bs out there:

Step 1: http://www.google.com

Step 2: If you cant find your answer there go to a bunch of elitest computer nerds that wont answer your questions and provide them with too little information to answer your questions and get a whole bunch of either sarcastic or flamming replys or a bunch of stipulations that go from personal experience or possible experiences.

Step 3: Throw away PC and get a Mac

pcdummy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 20:18      Profile for pcdummy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
step 1 i tried goggle noting there for an dummy like me.

step2 if i didn't give enough info you could have asked in a nice way not sarcastic way.

step 3 i don't have the money for a mac and wouldn't know how to use it it i did.

step 4 if you didn't want to help answer why did you write any thing at all.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 21:06      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try RTFM? [ohwell]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 07:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pcdummy -----------Lets see if I can help. When we say you did not give us enough information, YOU DID NOT GIVE US ENOUGH INFORMATION.
The comment about MACS was interestion because Macs are usually easier to use than PCs.
Your comment about us not helping was some what valid but we still don't know enough about your system to help.
When you bought the Dazzle thingy did it not come with a manual, that is usually the best place to look for help, did you look at the outside of the box that the hardware came in to see if your system met the basic requirements?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
pcdummy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 10:23      Profile for pcdummy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally someone that isn't rude. No it didn't come with a manual just the disk to install. The geek at Best Buy looked up my system and said it would work. He said it was the best thing to use to make my vcr tapes into dvd's. I'm wondering if I should get and external hard drive or upgrade the one I have now. This is what my system says now. Presario C 70.3 GB/ 3.43GB free. Presario_RP D 4.23GB/ 676MB free. with 760MB RAM. If that's not enough info PLEASE
pcdummy
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4306

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 10:25      Profile for pcdummy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally someone that isn't rude. No it didn't come with a manual just the disk to install. The geek at Best Buy looked up my system and said it would work. He said it was the best thing to use to make my vcr tapes into dvd's. I'm wondering if I should get and external hard drive or upgrade the one I have now. This is what my system says now. Presario C 70.3 GB/ 3.43GB free. Presario_RP D 4.23GB/ 676MB free. with 760MB RAM. If that's not enough info PLEASE just tell me and I"ll try to find it. You all don't have to be ugly or talk mean to someone who isn't as smart at you all. Thank YOU TheMoMan for being nice to a pcdummy.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 10:39      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like The Mo Man said, read the manual and see if that meager system you run is capable of running this program. Also check to see if the system recources are sufficient to meet the systems running requirements.

*NOTE: It is amazing on how many people come here and expect us to play the Tech support role for every fucking error message their window 95 OS spits at them.

Call the help desk. They get paid to deal with this kind of shit. We dont.

Charles
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4000

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 10:55      Profile for Charles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed Jace?
Erica Ann
Geek Larva
Member # 4304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 12:07      Profile for Erica Ann   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always ask the "geek" at Best Buy that you got it from...

Probabally the reason you are getting that message is because whenever you burn or copy something like that, you have to have as much free space as it will be x2 on your hd to burn.. you have to allow the 2nd amount for it to do a temp file to transfer.

IE if the DVD material is 2 gigs, allow 2 more gigs for temp files.. so 4 gigs. so if you only have 3 free... etc etc.

Also, most programs you can set not to save to HD before you bur, burn directly to the Disck therefore.. you wont need as much temp space to transfer.

That would be my guess, but as you mentioned the geek you bought it from at best buy.. you could always ask him.

--------------------
http://www.aleeya.net

There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who dont.

Posts: 28 | From: north carolina | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 12:29      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles:

Then I did as well, point of the matter is that GC Forums are a community where you exchange ideas, thoughts, news, whatever... Anyone who's been here a while has seen a hundred PC Dummy's, and it's always the same, register, get help, f*ck off never to be seen again until there's something else they can't do.

PC Dummy, the answer to your question is this; find out how much data a DVD holds (here's a clue it's 4.7GB) consider that against availability in your system and viola there is your problem.

Find out the difference between an internal and external hard drive (here's another clue, it's the same thing. One comes in a little box with it's own power supply, can you guess which one?)

Buy, beg, borrow or steal one such device with a capacity of over 10GB and plug into your system, or pay someone if you can't manage that. Set your razzle dazzle software to use whatever volume is assigned as your extra storage and try again, that should probably make it work.

Any other problems I'd suggest you search the dazzle website which also has a knowledge base:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Home/

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 12:39      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

So this is what happens when I disappear for a day!

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 14:49      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace - that was HARSH, man. Do you not remember a time when you didn't know shit? I don't know much myself, but I know that it can sometimes be a hard thing to ask for help.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 15:42      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you're right. I was kinda harsh. Many apologies...

And i do remember when I didnt' know something once. I think. Back in '72. April it was.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 15:52      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
And i do remember when I didnt' know something once. I think. Back in '72. April it was.

Jace. April of '72? Were you even a twinkle in your dad's eye yet?
[Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2474 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 16:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jace
been looking at your website - you have got a lot to think about at the moment, take care man.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 16:57      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pcdummy: Remember, this is an internet forum, not a face-to-face conversation. We haven't ever met you before, so the only thing we see about you is what you type: your grammar, your spelling, your syntax, etc. Please try not to be offended by what others type on the internet, as this is an impersonal medium and should remain that way.

As for your problem, DVDs require a lot of extra hard disk space, 3.43 GB is not enough. I would suggest investing in a good 80 GB external hard drive if you plan to digitally store many of your old VHS tapes. Also, do a google search for "dazzle DVD complete," this should turn up several websites for your reference.

goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 28, 2005 19:28      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, maybe it's not the user's fault .....
quote:
Dazzle Video Creator 90 Review
Posted by Kenneth Henry
WHAT IS IT?:
Starter Video Capture package
THE GOOD:
USB 2.0 only, supportive of analogue
THE BAD:
No cables; only worked with camcorders
WE SAY:
The Dazzle 90’s simple and effective - as long as your equipment’s new enough and it’s a shame a lot less VCRs (if any) will work with it.

READER REVIEWS:
There are 1 reader reviews for this product
Name: D Scott
Review: I wish I’d read the review before buying a dvc90. It will not capture from my VCR, does not do what it says on the box and even crashes my computer every time.
Date Posted: 27 May 2005

This might be one of those cases of ignore what it says on the box, and read as many "unbiased" reviews as possible... aka. Buyer Beware!

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 17:31      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace be nice...lol...pcdummy/grummash, he usually gets little sleep therefore comments are short and to the point. He is usually really nice. In order to troubleshoot anything you need lots of information to see all possibilities for the problem. Hope you found what you are looking for. [Cool]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Charles
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4000

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 19:32      Profile for Charles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Then I did as well, point of the matter is that GC Forums are a community where you exchange ideas, thoughts, news, whatever... Anyone who's been here a while has seen a hundred PC Dummy's, and it's always the same, register, get help, f*ck off never to be seen again until there's something else they can't do.

PC Dummy, the answer to your question is this; find out how much data a DVD holds (here's a clue it's 4.7GB) consider that against availability in your system and viola there is your problem.

Find out the difference between an internal and external hard drive (here's another clue, it's the same thing. One comes in a little box with it's own power supply, can you guess which one?)

Buy, beg, borrow or steal one such device with a capacity of over 10GB and plug into your system, or pay someone if you can't manage that. Set your razzle dazzle software to use whatever volume is assigned as your extra storage and try again, that should probably make it work.

Any other problems I'd suggest you search the dazzle website which also has a knowledge base:

I was just saying if you do not want to answer dont. No one makes you answer or reply. But why be rude or harsh when there is no need.
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 21:12      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

I was just saying if you do not want to answer dont. No one makes you answer or reply. But why be rude or harsh when there is no need.
Tell me what is the point of hijacking a thread to simply point out that well, Jace had a pretty damn good point. Not to be mean but we can't help without info, that is just how the world works.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 21:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles, I'm pretty sure Allan is trying to prevent it from becoming a free-for-all. I agree with him 100%. And somedays we just don't have patience to express things with extreme politeness. Lately I'm at the edge of my patience, so I can understand that part completely as well.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 21:17      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Charles, I'm pretty sure Allan is trying to prevent it from becoming a free-for-all. I agree with him 100%. And somedays we just don't have patience to express things with extreme politeness. Lately I'm at the edge of my patience, so I can understand that part completely as well.

Wow, we said pretty much the same thing (except with different attidues) at the same minute. That's gotta be some record.

--------------------

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 23:02      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As has already been said Charles, you didn't add anything to the thread or offer any help. Your contributions include having a pop at Jace, never a good idea [Wink] and them telling me I should be nice to someone who needs a good LARTing. Frankly I think you can take you liberal wishy washy lets all play nice and poke it up your ar$e, sometimes people need to be told.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 23:29      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Try RTFM? [ohwell]

i got one right here!

http://harddrivehell.dyndns.org/manual.html

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture