homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » HELP with laptop with modem and use cell phone as connection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP with laptop with modem and use cell phone as connection
fatman2u
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 18:17      Profile for fatman2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm soooo far from being a Geek that it is truly a shame. If the computer works when I turn it on I'm good to go. Past that...well here in lies the problem. I have just retired and am going to get a laptop. Not sure what brand yet. (Please make suggestions) I would like it to have wireless built in but would also like it to have a built in modem. If I get one like that can I use my cell phone as if it were a land line? HELP. Who ever answers please try to use simple terms for the non geek.
Posts: 1 | From: louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 21:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a big fan of laptops.

Do you 'need' one or just want one?

IMHO laptops:

*cost more
*not upgradeable (other than RAM)
*not as robust as people would like to think
*Are a general pain in the ass to type on

If you have to buy a laptop, buy the cheapest one you can find and assume you will replace it within 2 years.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 22:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any laptop you buy is going to have both
assume it will be only .b wireless though

what he said ^^ buy *cheap*, expect to replace it in 2 yrs, and i'll add "buy the extra warranty"
1 mishap and the screen goes buh-bye, you're out the cost of the warranty already, not to mention that w/o it screens aren't covered

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 23:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my last two machines (one laptop and one tower, not counting the Pismo coming soon from dp004i) on www.ubid.com. They have really good prices for quality machines. You just need to read the descriptions carefully 'cause some laptops are sold with batteries that don't hold their charge anymore. Still, for what they cost, they're an excellent buy.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 07:21      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want it to work when you turn it on, then I'd suggest buying a Macintosh PowerBook or iBook.

They're available with built in wireless, and have a modem as standard.

In what way do you want to use your cell phone as a landline? If it is for an Internet connection, then it might depend on what phone you have.

I have a PowerBook with Bluetooth. I can connect to the Internet through my friend's SonyEricsson T610 wirelessly, and at reasonable speed. Setting that up took less than a minute, and involved nothing that a non-geek couldn't cope with.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 07, 2005 09:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would second maximile's opinion... I think you'll find an iBook is just the ticket for you.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2005 10:14      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
I would second maximile's opinion... I think you'll find an iBook is just the ticket for you.

I thrice, along with a comment about that guy obviously isn't a gamer, graphic artist or any heavy-user, so the "buy cheap, replace in two years" argument isn't valid, IMHO. My father could keep his Mac laptops for 4 or 5 years before cursing after them. A good iBook with sufficient memory (512 or more, "more" having my preference) could very well need only the extended warranty to keep fatman2u a happy camper for many years to come.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 04:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I fancy that the built in Airport wireless card on the iBook will handle most of your internet connections best, if you are serious that you need the option of a very slow and expensive connection using your cellphone as well, please remember that Bluetooth does not come as standard for iBooks but must be ordered as an extra. And make sure your cellphone has Bluetooth too.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 16:35      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just to annoy ya, i'm gonna say get a DELL laptop [crazy]

well, 2 reasons
1, it's FAR cheaper
2, they really ain't that bad - better than a dell desktop for sure

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2005 23:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong, but I believe the iBook is cheaper.

Google away.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 01:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give almost the exact opposite advice as Cap'n Vic.

While laptops do cost more, prices have dropped hugely in recent times, and you can now get a fairly good one for not too much $$$. I find the convenience of a lappie is well worth the extra money.

As the Cap'n says, they're not very upgradable, so I figure it's worth spending a few extra $$$ getting more memory and a bigger hard disk now, as these will be difficult/expensive/impossible to add later. Ditto for the bluetooth option others have mentioned above (my mother-in-law used this to stay connected during a recent road trip around Australia, and was a big fan).

As for the Dell/Apple debate, the Apple iBooks and Powerbooks are things of beauty, and far easier for a novice to use, but they do cost more than a similarly equipped Dell (or other generic PC). For a long time I promised myself that my next laptop would be an iBook, but I ended up buying a Dell Inspiron 6000. It cost about as much as the iBook I had my eye on, but has twice the memory, a much better screen (1680x1050, widescreen, very nice) and it will run all of the software I use at work.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 20:50      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude-- you're getting a Dell!
I don't know what stuff you want to do on your computer, but go for a Windows machine. It'll do more for less.- *ducksandruns*
Dell computers are quite customizeable and they are available in whatever Performance/price- level you need them. - while in the Mac's you can only go for the (more expensive than Dell) iBook or for the (even more expensive) PowerBook...
Either Laptop is eye-candy. But beauty is only skin deep ;-)

Anyways-> check ww.dell.com - a bluetooth adapter is either built in (check), or costs you 30 bucks and is external. Also at dell.com, check if there is anything that meets your performance needs and is within your budget.
If you are low-budget anyway, keep your hands off a Mac at all times!

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 21:07      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
I don't know what stuff you want to do on your computer, but go for a Windows machine. It'll do more for less.- *ducksandruns*
Dell computers are quite customizeable and they are available in whatever Performance/price- level you need them. - while in the Mac's you can only go for the (more expensive than Dell) iBook or for the (even more expensive) PowerBook...
Either Laptop is eye-candy. But beauty is only skin deep....

....If you are low-budget anyway, keep your hands off a Mac at all times!

Thomas

I feel the need to respond to this, but I think the trollish nature of the post affords me the luxury of instead getting some sleep.

I will go as far as saying this though; fatman2u, Tom's advice is far from usable...please disregard it.

Tom, it'd do you some good to either a: own a mac before spouting off about usability, b: do some research, or even better...take both points to heart.

To everyone else: my apologies if I'm feeding trollish material here...My discernment is clouded right now by need for sleep and other things. I'll take a closer look at this in the morning. [Wink]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 21:38      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Either Laptop is eye-candy. But beauty is only skin deep ;-)

Anyways-> check ww.dell.com - a bluetooth adapter is either built in (check), or costs you 30 bucks and is external. Also at dell.com, check if there is anything that meets your performance needs and is within your budget.
If you are low-budget anyway, keep your hands off a Mac at all times!

Thomas

Bullshit.

I bought a Dell Laptop and it is the worst purchase I have ever made. Quality suffers severly. I'm using the laptop as I post this, and I have just had the motherboard replaced for the 3rd time. And I had to jump through hoops to get that done.

See, with Apple, you call their support, and there is an American (no offense, but I just can't stand trying to explain something to someone who doesn't thoroughly understand english) and they get things done quickly.

When it comes to the choice between Apple and Dell, one thing can be said. Apple has much better support, which is important with laptops, because laptops aren't things you can just "fix yourself" like a PC is.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 09, 2005 22:46      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myself is using an iBook G3 at the very moment right now..

I use both Win-Xp an Mac OS 10.2, so I do know what I am talking about. What I wrote was simply what I experienced and thought about my Mac after owning it for *uhh* 2 years..
Spiderman- whatever I wrote just experessed what I experienced through these 2 years of ownership.

I made good experiences with Dell's products.- I'd say you had bad luck with your motherboard or you are just abusing your laptop. But 3 in a row?
Okay, I can understand your point regarding support though..

Anyways- I am just saying what I felt and think of Mac laptops.

Thomas

--------------------

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 07:19      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about we all just sit down and agree that 2 years or 4 years or whatever isn't a large enough sample space to get a good enough idea of how the machines work. Even if you have been using dells for all of your life, but only had one of the latest models for 1, there could still be some gigantic differences in this latest model which sets it apart from the older ones, making all other dell-based opinions completely irrelevant. It's not something which is worth arguing over, because unless someone here happens to be administering a ginormous network of recent ibooks or whatever, they don't have a propper idea of how the product works. Otherwise you leave too much room for random error.

For example, I had bought a belkin network card the other day (solely based upon price and a few notes that I found online, which in retrospect, were just morons who ar3 1337, y0!). So of course, it doesn't work, I get on IRC, complain, and spiderman answers, of course, i've seen 20-30 fail in my past few years.

If it isn't "I've seen 20-30 fail in the past few years" but rather "dud3! my ib00k pwnz0rz!" or "dud3! d3ll is t3h sh1t", it really isn't as helpful as either a realistic view of what is good or bad, or a larger sample space (IE, as TFD, Cap'n, Rhonwynn, et al).

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 08:41      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good wording, tut

for example, at my job i oversee roughly 2000+ laptops, almost ALL dell (and some stinkpads)
mostly c500 or c600, or the new D400/600 series
it's rare for any of them to have a problem
the most pandemic thing i've seen is the mousepad on a c500 goes kablooey and needs to be replaced - i have several spares on hand when that happens

zero problems with the d400/600 series, other than ID10T errors

there's also few toshiba laptops floating around, but i haven't seen any problems from them at all (more than likely they've been replaced with a new d600 and i wasn't told)

i own a D600 myself* and it's prefectly fine, never a problem
since i'm using the default OS install with few minor tweaks here n there, i'd almost go as far as to say it's more stable then my home PC that i screw with contantly

*well, belongs to teh job, but i use it :>

--------------------

angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 08:52      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my .02 US rubles. When my brother went away to college a couple of years ago, my parents bought him a Dell laptop [don't remember what model]. They also bought one for themselves. Both of them had to be sent back to Dell because something went wrong with them.

When I graduated college, I got a ThinkPad A22m. ThinkPads are damn good laptops. I never had any problems with it at all. However, back in October/November, I bought a PowerBook. It completely blows the ThinkPad away [although I do miss the TP's nipple mouse]. It's the best computer I have ever owned. Granted, they are a little pricey, and I've never used an iBook, so I can't say that getting one will be just as good. But that's just some food for thought.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 13:43      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Myself is using an iBook G3 at the very moment right now..

I use both Win-Xp an Mac OS 10.2, so I do know what I am talking about. What I wrote was simply what I experienced and thought about my Mac after owning it for *uhh* 2 years..
Spiderman- whatever I wrote just experessed what I experienced through these 2 years of ownership.

I made good experiences with Dell's products.- I'd say you had bad luck with your motherboard or you are just abusing your laptop. But 3 in a row?
Okay, I can understand your point regarding support though..

Anyways- I am just saying what I felt and think of Mac laptops.

Thomas

The machine never leaves the desk. I told myself it was just bad luck the first two times.

edited: To clear up a possible mistranslation.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 15:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom-...: Kindly stop the M$ fanboyism around here - it's not looked upon favorably. [Smile]

Personally, I rather love my Thinkpad, and adore the iBook I've got sitting around here (but it's not personal machine). I still haven't gotten around to buying a new laptop for myself, and can't really decide which of the two I should get. If I were to get the Thinkpad, I'd be putting Debian on it, whereas with the iBook, it's already running a good *nix, and the M$ tax hasn't been paid. Decisions, decisions.

Dell computers aren't bad at all, and I know of no problems that I've seen with recent Dell laptops -- however, they would be likely be running XP be default, and that's not a really favourable situation for me. Dell Gold support is worth every penny - IMHO, it beats Apple support. The only thing that Apple really gets right about support it 'ultimately doing the right thing.' That is, they usually do right by the customer, sometimes in a very big way (giving you stuff for free that you should never have gotten)...but this doesn't typically happen until they've annoyed the living daylights out of you. Right, Tut? [Wink]

/me posts from Mac mini, and goes off to sit in a more comfortable chair with iBook to type something. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 20:51      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
just to annoy ya, i'm gonna say get a DELL laptop [crazy]

well, 2 reasons
1, it's FAR cheaper
2, they really ain't that bad - better than a dell desktop for sure

Are you kidding, Dell has got to be one of the greatest inventions in the world!!! Next to Ketchup Squeze bottle, there is nothing better than a Dell laptop or Dell "anything" for that matter. I have never seen a piece of hardware knock someone out as fast as that laptop i threw at my ex's sancho AND STILL WORK!!!
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 21:09      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kindly stop the M$ fanboyism around here - it's not looked upon favorably.
Sorry about that- I know that this is mainly a mac-dominated board. But Mac just doesn't do the job for me, so I feel the need to defend Microsoft, since their products just are really good. WinXP might not do the job for you, but it does for many others, including myself.

Anyways.. The Mac vs. Windows fight has been discussed a billion times before. So I don't really want to start that again, I just wanted to name a few reasons why I chose MS..
NO insult intended! I use OSX 10.2 myself - and not without a reason.

Thomas

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 05:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
since their products just are really good
The point I was trying to make with my previous post was and still is that everything is good for something. Wether an object or program or idea is used as it is intended, everything is good for something.

Wether or not Mac is better than windows or not is purely per the user. I may want to make easy movies and would benifit greatly from the Mac or I may want to test my capacity for sleep deprivation while taking part in a rather large FRAGfest in which case Windows is almost a must.

It all depends on what you want to do with the damn machine. But if you want pure realibility, dependibility and ease of use we all know that Mac is best.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 06:20      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But Mac just doesn't do the job for me, so I feel the need to defend Microsoft, since their products just are really good.

Yes, but considering this thread is an attempt to help somebody else with specific needs, what does or does not "do the job" for you isn't so relevant.

quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
It all depends on what you want to do with the damn machine. But if you want pure realibility, dependibility and ease of use we all know that Mac is best.

Exactly. fatman2u wants a computer that "will work when he turns it on". Considering that he is "far from being a geek", he probably doesn't want to have to spend time working out how to configure the free antivirus software that will keep his computer working.

If you compare the experience of connecting an iBook to a wireless network to the experience of doing the same with something running Windows, it's easy to see which is the better choice.

Of course, if fatman2u has other, Windows-only software that he needs to run then it's out of the question. And I have every faith in the reliability of Dell laptops, but would not consider their operating system a sensible choice in this case.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture