homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Exim

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exim
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 5 posted July 05, 2005 13:06      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody.

I'm having a small problem with a service I'm trying to run on one of our servers at work, I've been racking my brains on this one for awhile but just can't get it to work right.

It's called exim, it's a mail sender which replaces sendmail. Basically it isn't sending the mail it is supposed to be receiving from a php form on our web site. I think the issue lies along the lines of the PID, when I start the service it creates a PID file which stores the number so it can close it using that number. Well, the number it stores in the file is a different number than what PS shows me. It's always off by 3. Does anybody know how to fix that?

Better yet does anybody know how to fix the issue of it sending mail?

Or even just a good website that would help me a little more (I've been to a lot of sites already but maybe you may know of some I missed...)

Thanks a lot guys (and gals).

Tony Rad

--------------------
~Live by the Sword~Die by the Sword~

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 17:38      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, what do the log files say? On my Debian install at home, they live in /var/log/exim, they might be somewhere else depending on what distro you are running.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 18:29      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm running it on Debian as well.

The 2 errors that keep getting repeated are:

2005-07-05 19:23:14 1Dpuu8-0006pa-00 == [email protected] T=local_delivery defer (-43): Retry time not yet reached

2005-07-05 19:23:14 1DoIKp-0006OM-00 Message is frozen

Thanks for the help CSK.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 18:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, OK, so it's had trouble delivering them in the past. So if you were to run (as root or via sudo)
code:
exim -bp

you'd see a list of queued messages, right?

So, you can force it to try to redeliver them immediately via
code:
exim -M messageid

Then check out what the error messages are.

Also it might be useful to run some tests directly from the command line to verify whether the problem is exim itself, or between exim and php.

So, if you're trying to email to [email protected], just do
code:
echo "test mail" | mail [email protected]

from the command line, and if that works OK, then exim itself isn't the problem, it's the interface between exim and php

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 22:13      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can actually send mail via exim. I managed to send it to my local account, network account, and external account. The lady who is doing our PHP keeps saying it's something wrong with exim and not the PHP.

I didn't test the first two things you mentioned, I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning though.

Thanks!

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2005 22:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRad:
I can actually send mail via exim. I managed to send it to my local account, network account, and external account. The lady who is doing our PHP keeps saying it's something wrong with exim and not the PHP.

Well, if it works fine not through PHP, there's something wrong there somewhere. Hopefully with the right error messages you can work out the problem, might be as simple as the PHP is sending it to email address(es) slightly different to what you expect (eg omitting the domain name and just sending it to a username).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 04:59      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't you just make her use SMTP for sending the mail?
TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 07:14      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See I had her add my external email to her php list and I'm not getting any mail to that either.

Exim is supposed to handle the SMTP, she is using the mail() function which should be calling exim and sending it to Communigate, which then sends it to exchange. (I know, it's a big mess of email).

On our old mail server we used sendmail and that worked fine. I guess if we wanted to we could configure sendmail to work on the new server but that is another foreign land for me and this is supposed to be working by today.

Thanks guys

--------------------

TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 07:26      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forced sending the messages. This is what my log shows:

2005-07-06 09:18:42 1DpyPx-0000Eu-00 == [email protected] T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: failed to chdir to /var/www
2005-07-06 09:19:12 1Dnvqw-0004xa-00 Unfrozen by forced delivery
2005-07-06 09:19:12 1Dnvqw-0004xa-00 => tradkiewicz <[email protected]> D=localuser T=local_delivery

another error in log:

** [email protected] R=smarthost T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>: host csiserver.cstone.local [172.20.20.201]: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]

The email I received in my mailbox says this:

From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Jul 06 09:19:12 2005
Envelope-to: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: Message frozen
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 05:01:02 -0500

Message 1DnvqV-0004xE-00 has been frozen.
The sender is <[email protected]>.

The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
[email protected] <[email protected]>: mailbox /var/spool/mail/mearnhart has wrong uid (1000 != 1029)

mearnhart is another user on the system who actually just left and should be removed from the system.

It looks like this is all going within our mailserver (dmz1) as well.

Thanks

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 08:29      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, not sure about the second one, but the first one looks to be a permissions issue. Presumably the PHP stuff is sitting somewhere under /var/www and the user exim is running as (mail on my system) doesn't have access, which could cause some problems, in some circumstances.

Any Linux gurus want to step in?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 08:44      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found her php code is within /var/www/html/ perhaps it needs to be redirected to /var/www/html/ instead of /var/www/ ???

--------------------

TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 09:02      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also noticed that it's primarily the apache account which is not receiving the mails. I sent an email to myself and apache, I received it, apache did not.

--------------------

TonyRad
Assimilated
Member # 1448

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2005 19:53      Profile for TonyRad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help guys. I somehow managed to get it to work. It's not sending emails to the external world too well at the moment, but it is sending them internally now, so that will work for the time being.

Thanks again!
Tony Rad

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture