homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Recommend a Memory Stick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recommend a Memory Stick
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 16:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finally joining the 21st century, and ditching my unreliable floppy disks for a memory stick. Can anyone recommend a specific kind? I'm looking for something that's not too fancy or expensive. Just something reliable that gets the job done.

::wonders if she's the only geek in here who isn't a computer geek::

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 17:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a particular brand to recommend, but I can offer one bit of advice.

The physical shape of the thumb drive is important. Some are quite wide, and you can either have trouble fitting them into deeply recessed USB ports, or they'll block access to the adjacent USB port. We have a couple of drives at work that are basically unusable in some PCs because of those problems.

Oh, and for a few $ more, you can get one that plays MP3s.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 17:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandisk Cruzer mini.

They're great, reliable, nice size profile, and often quite affordable with rebates (see OfficeMax, Staples, Circuit City, et. al circulars in the weekend paper). I have one, and got one for a friend as a present.

I used to recommend Lexar Jumpdrives until they added the ultra-crummy 'encryption/protection' software. They are NOT secure, and just make it harder to use them universally, as you must load a driver on the computer you plug into (which can't be done without admin/root rights).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 19:19      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a lexar, and Id recommend it. but then again, like said, you have to load the security stuff on each computer to access it. But the good thing with it, is all you need is the thumbstick to load it. Not a cd or anything. And you can always still just basiclly use it with out the software and no encryption. regardless of computer type or account status (eg. admin rights)

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 22:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
I just got a lexar, and Id recommend it. but then again, like said, you have to load the security stuff on each computer to access it.

No, you don't *have* to load it. The first thing anyone should do when they get one of these keys is to reformat it. That solves *all* your problems. [Smile] Then it behaves like a regular USB key, except that you might have wasted money on the so-called 'Secure' feature. :-/
Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eric
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4026

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 22:53      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ArsTechnica did an in-depth review of various flash drives back in April:
Flash drive reviews

Posts: 10 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2005 23:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly IMO there isn't a lot of things to look for in the case of USB drives.

Definitely think about the shape. I have seen quite a few that are shaped very badly and do not fit next to other devices.

Size and price are the others. And I would not buy any of those with the security stuff. Most of it is too much of a pain to even mess with.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 03:08      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tips:

1. Making sure it doesn't block a USB port (if it does there are cheap USB extention cords).

2. Sometime extra features are sometimes extra hassles. I have a memory stick that is basically unusable to me on my home computer because I run Linux (but certain Windows OSes it doesn't work on either).

3. If your looking for large storage, you may as well go with an MP3 player -- but if you dabble in the world of linux then make sure it works with usb-scsi drivers (or if other *nix approprate kernel module).

4. It's often a good idea to get a good off brand. Off brand, because Sony/Kodac and others are really expensive and cheaper products work just as well. A good off brand, becase you want hardward that works.

My solotion is a seven in one USB (external) flash card reader, a off brand Sony flash card that fits in my Clie (and Sony digital cammeras (and there's one I've been eyeing)). The only problem I have is that Sony devices use a non-standard file format. The windows drivers support the OS, and I could mount the stick in Linux (but I'd have to reformat it and then the Clie can't read it).

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lenin
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4076

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 07:25      Profile for Lenin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought this puppy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820233008

Extremely satisfied with it. Even comes with a USB extension cable [Smile] It's rubber so it can be bounced around, the only complaint I have is the cap, wish it were attached.

Posts: 10 | From: Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
NTT
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 08:50      Profile for NTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this one just for the size. Yep it really is that small.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6ec2/

--------------------
I get blamed for everything I do.

Posts: 17 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 08:56      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with most of the comments above and I have one of these Disgo Lite

It is driverless and works with my Macs, an oldish Win2k install I have kicking around and the Xandros install I punted on an old Celeron box the other day...

It is the size of my thumb and smaller than a disposable lighter, is available in 128Mb, 256Mb and 512Mb sizes... I have a 256Mb one and it cost me 30UKP (say 48USD)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 10:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, I highly recommend the SanDisk Cruzer Mini because of its size profile - it's large enough not to lose, but it's only a few mm wider than the USB port, and very friendly with other devices. The Lexar Jumpdrive that I also have is quite the opposite, and has less storage space (but 'twas paid for by work). Driverless should be the case for nearly all USB keys, as they will be treated like a USB Mass Storage device - the catch is that the 'Secure' feature usually puts a non-standard partition on the key -- as I said before, a quick reformat will take care of this. [Smile]

The other reason I recommend going with a brand name like SanDisk is that you can easily find them, and there is a company behind it that you can call if the thing dies prematurely. Also, don't expect these things to last forever - like any other flash memory, they're rarely good beyond ~1000 writes for any given sector...so don't do heavy duty rewriting on them. I had a Lexar Jumpdrive 2.0 die on me a few years ago, and that saddened me a good deal (especially because I was stupid enough to have a file or two on there that wasn't anywhere else). Always be sure to have your files in more than one place, particularly lest you lose the thing -- that's also why I don't recommend the Cruzer Micro (which is nearly the same in price as the older Mini) - it's too damn small.

Also, on the note of size:

PUT YOUR NAME ON IT!!! (with a Sharpie (TM), a knife, or something that can't be easily removed.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 12:39      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a Sony 128 MB MicroVault drive, and I love it.

I wear it around my neck as a pendant, you know, geek status and all [Wink]

I just have to remember to take it off before a shower lol

--------------------
"You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer!"

Posts: 42 | From: The 7th Level Of Hell aka East Wenatchee, WA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2005 20:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went with the Sandisk Cruzer Titanium myself. I wanted something I could put on my keychain and not worry about breaking. It's worked out pretty well for me. All things considered, I found it pretty reasonably priced, too.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 14:01      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course if practicality isn't your thing, the iDuck is a nice alternative. Unfortunately it will run a-fowl of your other USB devices. [Wink]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 20:13      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received my SanDisk Cruzer Micro - smaller than the mini I believe.

Only problem I might have is loosing it!

I can't relate to it's effectiveness as I really haven't had more than a day with it.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture