homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Driver Help Needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Driver Help Needed
Steven
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 31, 2005 14:35      Profile for Steven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to find Wimdows 98 drivers for a Toshiba dvd-rom Part number SD-C2402.

I have already tried googling it, and using the major driver databases.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Steven
[email protected]

Posts: 16 | From: Tennessee, USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 16:08      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dvd roms and cd roms do not need drivers

support is built-in for those

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Steven
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 16:12      Profile for Steven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally yes, but in this case.

Win98 is using the "Standard CD-ROM Device" driver.

And thus I cannot play dvd's.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 16:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steven,

That is all my XP box uses for the DVD player. cdrom.sys.

Out of curiosity have you tried reading the files in a DVD movie? IIRC you can see the files in a DVD just unable to play the video w/o the codecs.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 17:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steven,

I downloaded the VLC media player to play DVDs on my computer. I have a DVD drive that worked fine until I had to reinstall Windows. Somehow the necessary codecs decided to go AWOL so InterActual Player and Windows Media Player both insist that they can't play DVDs. VLC has worked well in their stead. And the greatest thing is, it's a free download. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steven
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 18:12      Profile for Steven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that there has been no software modifications to this system.

I replaced the dvd-rom drive because the tray would not stay shut.

I even got an exact model replacement, and now it will not recognize a dvd. CD's work great though.

I figured it had to be a driver problem.

Any other suggestions would be apprecieated.

Toshiba I-4170
Windows 98
Fujitsu dvd-rom part number SD-C2402

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2005 05:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steven:
The problem is that there has been no software modifications to this system.

I replaced the dvd-rom drive because the tray would not stay shut.

I even got an exact model replacement, and now it will not recognize a dvd. CD's work great though.

I figured it had to be a driver problem.

Any other suggestions would be apprecieated.

Toshiba I-4170
Windows 98
Fujitsu dvd-rom part number SD-C2402

Try and just browse the drive. Can you see the VIDEO_TS directories, etc? If not, I'd suggest it's a hardware problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn
Steven,

I downloaded the VLC media player to play DVDs on my computer. I have a DVD drive that worked fine until I had to reinstall Windows. Somehow the necessary codecs decided to go AWOL so InterActual Player and Windows Media Player both insist that they can't play DVDs. VLC has worked well in their stead. And the greatest thing is, it's a free download. [Smile]

If vlc for Windows is the same VLC I used for Linux, I think it works because it uses entirely internal non-accelerated software decoding for DVDs that doesn't require much of anything externally.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steven
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2005 14:41      Profile for Steven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cannot even open files in explorer with dvd inserted. [Frown]

Looks more and more like a hardware problem.

Nomadic
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4491

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2005 12:29      Profile for Nomadic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gday, Ok forget all you have read above, it doesn't apply to your problem, do a search for the the FIRMWARE for the drive, I am suggesting that your original drive had updated firmware whereas when you replaced it you may have got a drive without updated FIRMWARE, as a result your system has know idea what it is looking at.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html <<< start here, select your country and search.

--------------------
Nature is the great teacher, And the best of mortal

instructors are but Inept guides by comparison.

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2005 20:25      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
posted June 03, 2005

~~~~

posted October 18, 2005

wow, way to bring up the dead

and halloween's not for another 2 weeks!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture