homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » 12" Powerbook hard drive upgrade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 12" Powerbook hard drive upgrade
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 09:23      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to give it a shot, even though the whole thing needs to be taken apart. Got to this part, but now I'm stuck - the right side of the palmrest won't separate from the bottom part of the case. Are there any screws not mentioned in the tutorial that need to be removed, or perhaps some clip that's holding it in place?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
NOP
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 13:13      Profile for NOP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the offical Apple service guide for take-apart procedures - the manuals for the latest machines are towards the bottom of http://www.whoopis.com/computer_repair/ .
Posts: 46 | From: TL050227 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 14:13      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link - looks like that is exactly what I did, but the upper portion of the case still doesn't feel like separaing from the lower portion. I don't want to risk breaking the damn thing, so I guess that nice 100 gig, 5400 rpm seagate will end up in an external usb2 enclosure. What a waste...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2005 00:35      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah they are a bitch to open... I should know i fix the damn things for a living... make sure you have disconnected the power bitton and microphone. Also remember to get the screws along the sides. then pry gently from the back and carefully tilt up toward you... you may need to use some force while tiltingto help disengage the clips in front... be careful not to bend the aluminum... it helps to have a nylon probe to wedge in between the plastic seam and the bottom case... I've done so many it's second nature. once the top case is off replaceing the hard drive is a cinch. replacing the optical drive really requires complete disassembly.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture