homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » pyGame on the Mac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pyGame on the Mac
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 25, 2005 02:53      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

I have been making simple Mac games for a while now, using Metal BASIC, but have been feeling slightly frustrated by its slowness and limitations.

I want to use pyGame (the SDL bindings for Python - I think [Confused] ), because I want easy networking and cross-plaform support. I've sort of installed it, as far as I can tell, but 'import pygame' in Python in Terminal gives me a 'module not found' error, and in the Python IDE I get a 'pygame requires pyObjC' error - even though I installed the latest version of pyObjC using the binary package.

Am I chasing a lost cause? I've seen pyGame projects distributed as professional-looking .apps, which looks good to me, and the syntax looks easy but powerful. Is it the appropriate next step in my amateur game programming career? [Wink]

FYI, I have Mac OS 10.3.9, without the Developer Tools (is that a problem?) and Python 2.4.

Thanks, everyone.

Max

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 05:17      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh? You are developing without the developer tools installed? Are you some sort of a masochist?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 25, 2005 06:13      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes (to the absence of Dev Tools, not the masochism). The CD didn't come with my PowerBook, and my stupid, stupid school Internet blocks the ftp site I need to access to get them. [Mad]

Is that the heart of all my problems? I thought that python was sort of internal, and could be accessed just from the Terminal. From what I have seen of the Developer Tools, there is little python-related software.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 06:52      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know. I was under the impression that the dev tools installed lots of useful hidden things like python, perl, gcc etc. Try man python in the terminal. That should tell you if it is installed.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 07:57      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can run python, you shouldn't need DevTools (I would think, anyway). If not, install it using fink, apt, a package, or whatever your method of choice is. I suppose you *could* always compile it from scratch ...

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 26, 2005 09:53      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:

I want to use pyGame (the SDL bindings for Python - I think [Confused] ), because I want easy networking and cross-plaform support.

Yep, that's the way to go.

quote:
I've sort of installed it, as far as I can tell, but 'import pygame' in Python in Terminal gives me a 'module not found' error, and in the Python IDE I get a 'pygame requires pyObjC' error - even though I installed the latest version of pyObjC using the binary package.
My copy of Gaming Hacks says to install MacPython for Panther add-ons, launch the MacPython package manager, choose Open URL, and enter http://undefined.org/python/pimp/darwin-7.2.0-Power_Macintosh.plist

As far as I know, that works.

Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2005 14:32      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get the developer tools, they'll save you. They bring with them a lot of useful little utilities for managing and building your source code.

I'm not a real heavy python programmer, the most I've ever used it for is a calculator, but If it's anything like perl you may need gcc in order to compile your SDL binding and stuff.

But I don't know.

anyways, good luck, if you make any cool games you should post them.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 03:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool. Thanks guys, I'll try both of those ASAP.

Look forward to seeing lots of cool games then... [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture