homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » About a vexing problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About a vexing problem
Confused
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3956

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 10:49      Profile for Confused   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please bear with me. This may hve been asked before....Old Game was out 16 years...went down the tubes....someone made an emulator to run the game again a few years ago...kept it secret...no copywrite or whatever ( if this is the correct term to use) on it...gave it to someone to use to play this game while they continued coding...that person passed it on to another and another....one person made it a public server to let all who asked to play the game online...original coder mad and has admitted to hacking into this persons computer and messing up databases etc..has other peoples personal information....said first had backdoor to it then said coded certain features that allow remote acccess to "fix" things....did the coder have to right to get the personal files from other persons compter and to mess with the data base....talking lawful rights Thank you please reply soon
Posts: 1 | From: spaced out | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2005 16:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 00:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of who wrote the code and who has it now the original writer does not have any right to "hack" into another system and trash/steal files...

That is just plain illegal certainly in the the UK and US there are special offences dealing with just such matters...

[thumbsdown]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brother Dysk
Geek Larva
Member # 3777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 22:12      Profile for Brother Dysk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is using a backdoor to access another computer hacking? It isn't. It's not even cracking. At the very utmost, it's script-kiddie-ing.
Posts: 25 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2005 07:10      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hence my use of "hack" in deliberate inverted commas Brother...

Regardless of how they get in taking/copying/tampering with other peoples' files, DB's etc. is illegal just about everywhere - period....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture