homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » "Won't You Please, Please Help Me?"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Won't You Please, Please Help Me?"
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted May 06, 2005 05:08      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it is now 4:58 a.m. PDT, and a very exhausted OMG6 sits here in a bit of a quandary. I was hoping I could get some help.

First problem==for some dumb reason, I cannot seem to get the gist to creating tables with HTML. I don't know why, but I can't do it. I'm supposed to make a 4x4 table. Pfft, yeah right. I'm lucky if I even remember how to to the "<table>" "<tr>" "<td>"</td>" "</table> tags in the right spot and not backwards.

Second problem==regarding Java programming (aka the bane of my existence), String are giving me problems. I get to about this point and can't think of what to do next; I'm stuck. By the way, I am using JCreator LE to do the Java crapola.

import java.io.*;

public class StringWorksheet {

static BufferedReader keyboard =
new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {

String s = s1,s2,s3;
s1 = "Belteguese";
s2 = "Star ";
s3 = "Trek";
input = keyboard.readLine();

System.out.println(s1);
}
}

What am I doing wrong?

Any and all help I can get is greatly appreciated in advance!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find my coffee, drink a Red Bull, swallow some No-Doz and blast the entire "Shout at the Devil" album as loud as I can. I have a midterm in 4 hours and 52 minutes that I am sooooooooo not prepared for! [cry baby]

**Edited because I'm a dork and forgot stuff.**

--------------------
"You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer!"

Posts: 42 | From: The 7th Level Of Hell aka East Wenatchee, WA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 05:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OhMyGoddessSixx:
Okay, it is now 4:58 a.m. PDT, and a very exhausted OMG6 sits here in a bit of a quandary. I was hoping I could get some help.

First problem==for some dumb reason, I cannot seem to get the gist to creating tables with HTML. I don't know why, but I can't do it. I'm supposed to make a 4x4 table. Pfft, yeah right. I'm lucky if I even remember how to to the "<table>" "<tr>" "<td>"</td>" "</table> tags in the right spot and not backwards.

<table>
<tr><td>column 1</td><td>column 2</td><td>column 3</td><td>column 4</td></tr>
</table>

Remember, tr is short for table ROW. I think td might be short for table DATA, but I could be wrong. The data goes INSIDE the rows would be a good mnemonic device to remember it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 05:27      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think td might be short for table DATA, but I could be wrong.
You are right I believe. Within each table row, a two-sided <td> (for data table) tag indicates the presence of individual table cells.

Thank you drunkennewfiemidget.

--------------------

Posts: 42 | From: The 7th Level Of Hell aka East Wenatchee, WA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 08:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the <table> section is where you define the properties.

i.e.

<table width="500" height="300" align="center>

And first one in, is the last one out.

<table><tr><td></td</tr></table>

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 10:50      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

String s = s1,s2,s3;
s1 = "Belteguese";
s2 = "Star ";
s3 = "Trek";
input = keyboard.readLine();

You've declared your Strings incorrectly. Change the top line to:

String s1, s2, s3;

That should fix your problem.

--------------------
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking

Posts: 75 | From: A dark place | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 11:21      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for your help!

I am so PI$$ED OFF!! I get to college and wouldn't you know it? My professor wasn't teaching today. [Mad] It figures.

All that stress for nothing! Blehh!

Guess I'll catch up on some homework.

--------------------

Brother Dysk
Geek Larva
Member # 3777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 19:34      Profile for Brother Dysk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motley Crue are good.
Posts: 25 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evendir
Geek Larva
Member # 3839

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted May 06, 2005 22:43      Profile for Evendir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As are the Beatles!
Posts: 21 | From: Best City On Earth: Toronto | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 16:11      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hee hee, leave it to me to have my strange quirks.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 08:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What quirks?

/me digs though MP3's for some Megadeth [Big Grin]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2005 10:42      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey now, I have all of Megadeth's albums on mp3. Plus, I saw em live in 95. I wish I could remember what the show was like. I was moshing around in the pit and got elbowed in the face.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2005 18:25      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Motley Crue are touring Australia later this year. I'm seriously considering going to see them, which would make it my second ever live concert (first was Guns n Roses)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 03:10      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Actually, Motley Crue are touring Australia later this year. I'm seriously considering going to see them, which would make it my second ever live concert (first was Guns n Roses)

Nooo.....Waaay!
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 05:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last major concert was back in the 90's (Bush, No Doubt and GooGoo Dolls) and I have not felt the urge to go to another. I prefer the intimacy of small clubs. The best show I have gone to so far had to be either Natasha's Ghost at a local college or when Mustard Plug was playing with the Cherry Poppin Daddies.

I am not a large enough fan of Motley Crue to pay 100 for a nosebleed seat. Now the reunion tour of Anthrax....

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 05:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to a LOT of concerts in my time. Well over 100. Best one I've seen is AC/DC. They've been rocking since before I was born (literally) but they still know what it's all about.

Second best is Finger Eleven. Canadian band. And don't judge them by 'One Thing', the only song by them that's ever gotten REAL radio play. They're a much heavier band, and that song is no example of their talents.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2005 06:33      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I've been to a LOT of concerts in my time. Well over 100. Best one I've seen is AC/DC.

I second that. AC/DC made my ears bleed.
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 00:18      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Now the reunion tour of Anthrax....

Hmm, there's another band touring Australia (appearing in one of our record stores tomoorow afternoon, too, I believe). Might think about seeing them, actually, they did some nice stuff.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Good Charlotte525
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3912

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 03:55      Profile for Good Charlotte525     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What band???? [Confused]
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 05:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Good Charlotte525:
What band???? [Confused]

You're so bad, you should be in detention...

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 20:13      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Commander!

I am so excited that Anthrax has reunited. I mean, John Bush is meh, but only Joey can do the classics.

"Bring the Noize"

csk--One of my presents I got for my birthday was two tickets to see the Crue in July. I can't wait. After 20 some odd years, it's finally happening.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 20:33      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
LOL Commander!

I am so excited that Anthrax has reunited. I mean, John Bush is meh, but only Joey can do the classics.

"Bring the Noize"

csk--One of my presents I got for my birthday was two tickets to see the Crue in July. I can't wait. After 20 some odd years, it's finally happening.

Excellent!

Anthrax have certainly had many and varied styles in their repertoire. I'm a big fan of the stuff from the State of Euphoria album.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 20:59      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk--another good album to check out is "Among The Living".

What's your favorite track on State of Euphoria?

Mine is "Finale" just because of this line: "...I drank three 6 packs just so I could look at your face..."

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2005 21:51      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite liked "Be All, End All". Cool cello introduction, and a rocking song in it's own right.

Think,
On your feet, and stay one step ahead
Break
Take your brain and use it
Take their mind and...
Change,
An attitude, like
You'd change your shorts
Right!
In your face they see it
In their face you...
Stand up, you know what it means
Wake up, time to live your dreams

I must admit, that Finale line is rather memorable, though.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 00:36      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey now, I have all of Megadeth's albums on mp3. Plus, I saw em live in 95. I wish I could remember what the show was like. I was moshing around in the pit and got elbowed in the face.

I saw 'em on 'So far so good so what'....Worst live band ever. Dave was so pissed he could barely stand...his guitar wasn't plugged in for the first half song. I stopped.

AC/DC loudest show ever.

Anthrax feed my anger through my 20's...never did see 'em live though.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2005 03:43      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I saw 'em on 'So far so good so what'....Worst live band ever. Dave was so pissed he could barely stand...his guitar wasn't plugged in for the first half song. I stopped.
At least you remember something Cap! All I remember is being hauled up to the bleachers and passing out.
My bf at the time said, "how could you pass out during a Megadeth show?" Simple. "I was UNCONSCIOUS!" I wonder whatever happened to that guy...hmmm.

Best live show I have ever seen (still to this day)--I was 14 and my dad took me to see Paul McCartney at the now-defunct Kingdome. Ahh memories, the smell of herb burning, and people (my dad and I included) screaming out the lyrics to "Hey Jude" at the top of our lungs. I've seen lots and lots of bands over the years, just too many to post. Hee hee.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture