homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » JOT widget request (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: JOT widget request
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 05:56      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can one of you super coder geeks please write a dashboard widget for Tiger that displays the JOT comic?
I feel that it would be a better use of desktop space than the hula girl!

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 02, 2005 07:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro and I are not crazy about apps that display the comic only, due to a few things.

-They take away our page impressions (banner ads) while still using our bandwidth.
-They don't include the JoyPoll or relevancy links, which for us are a big part of the JoT experience.
-In addition, they often don't work, as we use whatever file format works best for the particular comic. So they tend to generate lots of server errors.

That said, a widget that displayed the current JoT thumbnail, or the current JoT SuperThumb, and links to the comic page, would be very cool with us. [thumbsup]

Now if only we had Tiger to see these mysterious widgets. [ohwell]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 11:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm I tried to take a screengrab to show you my beautiful widgets, and it didn't work. They really are mysterious!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2005 12:35      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting idea. I'll have to look at a few things when I get home from work tonight...maybe put something together. [Smile]
Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGottaMac
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3151

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 15:57      Profile for iGottaMac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about the thumbnail, because as you say, it takes away all your banners. I love taking part in the polls, so I will need a reason to come to here! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Visit Small Apple and help support a growing Mac community!

Posts: 15 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 18:38      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...Now if only we had Tiger to see these mysterious widgets. ... [/QB]
widgets - more crap floating around on the screen

well, actually more like sunk, to the bottom of the screen
- i like a totally blank desktop

i managed to get OS X v10.4 installed on my pc and i just wasn't impressed
nice eye candy all over, but i couldn't make it run fast enough to get any real use out of it

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 19:32      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then maybe one should upgrade from their 6-transistor 'computer' to something a wee bit more powerful?
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 20:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
i managed to get OS X v10.4 installed on my pc and i just wasn't impressed
nice eye candy all over, but i couldn't make it run fast enough to get any real use out of it

I hear it runs better on Macs [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 22:07      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, tonight I finally got around to messing with this.

I'm sure it can use improvement, but, here it is. Just unzip and copy to ~/Library/widgets (just running it should copy it there too)

http://spidey.gotdns.org/archive/JoT.wdgt.zip

No frameworks or template involved here, just plain old vim (The frame was created in Macromedia Fireworks).

Updates are likely to follow. [Smile]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2005 22:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Screenshot of your new widget, Spidey? Pretty please?

:bats eyelashes flirtatiously:

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
codazzo
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3047

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 01:10      Profile for codazzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice work, spiderman!
you can make it look a little more funny (less.. black?) and that should be great.

Posts: 36 | From: Italy | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 04:05      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's well done, but I still prefer the old Konfabulator version without any frame. Even ignoring the aesthetic gripe of the frame, Dashboard maybe nice, but Konfabulator's ability to control what screen layer the widgets appear on and the always visible behavior is hard for me to give up. I much prefer having having a little window pinned to my desktop that updates every once in awhile as opposed to having to hit f12 every couple of days to check a Dashboard widget (I know I can put the widget in development mode but it still floats above everything). The whole point is I want a reminder to check out the newest comic, not add another step to the process.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 05:02      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by codazzo:
nice work, spiderman!
you can make it look a little more funny (less.. black?) and that should be great.

Sure thing. I'll mess with another version when I get a chance...how much less black though? I can remove the "Current JoT" label which is probably unnecessary and should trim things down a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
It's well done, but I still prefer the old Konfabulator version without any frame. Even ignoring the aesthetic gripe of the frame, Dashboard maybe nice, but Konfabulator's ability to control what screen layer the widgets appear on and the always visible behavior is hard for me to give up. I much prefer having having a little window pinned to my desktop that updates every once in awhile as opposed to having to hit f12 every couple of days to check a Dashboard widget (I know I can put the widget in development mode but it still floats above everything). The whole point is I want a reminder to check out the newest comic, not add another step to the process.

A frameless version is in the works (it's all a matter of finding the time to play with it). Something you may want to check out is a program called Amnesty, found here. It allows you to run Dashboard widgets on the desktop and gives you the ability to control window depth. (Stay on top, regular window mode, or desktop level (floats behind icons))

If anyone has any more suggestions/comments, please let me know. The black frame was put together in five minutes and can obviously use fine tuning.

Anyone who wants to see the widget can view a web version here: http://spidey.gotdns.org/archive/JoT.wdgt/JoT.html I'll try to remember to update this as changes are made. [Smile]

/me runs off to take a quick shower before leaving for work.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 04, 2005 07:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiderman! hey awesome, thanks!

/me might have to upgrade just to see this widget!

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 09:47      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That's just what I was looking for. Looks great!

BTW, Tiger is smart enough to put the widget in the right place automatically after it unzips. Since I got Tiger, my teeth are whiter and my laundry is brighter!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 06, 2005 12:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amnesty Widget Browser is a utility for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger that allows Dashboard widgets to live directly on your Desktop via a convenient icon in your system menu bar.

http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 12:38      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does it update?

It wasn't showing the new comic thumbnail until I quit and re-started it.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 13:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering that myself - the snippet of code I'd looked at didn't seem to have that. Sounds like a feature request for version 1.1. [Wink]

Snaggy: That's all well and good, but the thing with Dashboard is that the apps consume system resources when visible. Apple docs all point to keeping them hidden when not in use, as it suspends the tasks until visible again - saving resources (some widgets consume quite a bit).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2005 15:54      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I was wondering that myself - the snippet of code I'd looked at didn't seem to have that. Sounds like a feature request for version 1.1. [Wink]

Snaggy: That's all well and good, but the thing with Dashboard is that the apps consume system resources when visible. Apple docs all point to keeping them hidden when not in use, as it suspends the tasks until visible again - saving resources (some widgets consume quite a bit).

That's one major advantage over Konfabulator, *each* Konfabulator toy tries for 100% CPU usage (and whopping great memory footprint)

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 11:36      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it does need an update (though should I do 1.1? or 1.0.1? [Wink] ).

I was originally under the impression that it's content would refresh upon bringing up dashboard, but obviously this is not the case.

I will hopefully have time to make a few modifications a bit later today and I will post as soon as I have. [Smile]

--------------------

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2005 17:22      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The widget worked fine for me. The thumbnail updated with the new comic yesterday the first time that I accessed dashboard. (It displayed the word "loading" as it updated.)

I like it the way it is, but it might be fun to have a little drawer on it that would display the "fresh 15" from the forum.

Thanks again for taking the time to code it.

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 07:47      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOPS! Spoke too soon! For some reason the widget did not update the thumbnail today; however, when I click on it, it does go to the new comic even though it is displaying the old comic. I am not sure why it worked fine for the last comic, but not for today.
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 08:08      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hey, it's written by /Spider/man. You've got to expect some bugs. [Razz] [Wink] [evil]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 08:57      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
Well hey, it's written by /Spider/man. You've got to expect some bugs. [Razz] [Wink] [evil]

Oh dear, I do believe we are about to be plagued by another punfest. [Wink]

About the widget, I seriously do intend to fix it, it's just a matter of finding time! Maybe tonight...

Edit: changed to quote the correct person! [blush]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 13:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A web application, from Spiderman?

I'll be sure to give it a try once I've got my copy of Tiger.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture