homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » intrusion detection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: intrusion detection
androolia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3769

Icon 5 posted March 30, 2005 10:18      Profile for androolia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Norton keeps telling me that an intrusion dectection has been blocked, but the ip addresss that it has blocked is my own!?! Can anyone tell me what this means? Thank you
Posts: 4 | From: bc, canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2005 10:43      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's the softwares way of saying RTFM
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 13:40      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Norton used to talk to me, too, but the drugs helped with that...

(not much help, are we?)

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 15:41      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. save mp3/vid/documents
2. format
3. reinstall*
4. don't load crap

*base* win2k, then cherryOS or pearpc and load Mac OS X in it
alternativley, mandrake or suse

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
androolia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3769

Icon 13 posted April 01, 2005 15:17      Profile for androolia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, as one of you said, you aren't much help. Sorry I bothered you. Interesting that you have nothing better to do but be rude.
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 15:34      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Androolia:

It's all in jest, nobody's picking on you. [Smile]

It is possibly a program trying to make a connection, either an update type function or some spyware or a trojan. Does it give any further information as to what is trying to make the outbound connection?

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 16:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by androolia:
well, as one of you said, you aren't much help. Sorry I bothered you. Interesting that you have nothing better to do but be rude.

Imagine this: You see a gaggle of geeks, hovering over their machines and chatting. You walk up and say:

'Can you fix my computer?'

Now, unless you look like Lindsay Lohan you should expect a few snickers and snide comments.

OTOH if you had an actual intro post and maybe followed it up by: 'Oh, BTW my Norton is doing.....Can anyone help?' You may ahve spared yourself some ridicule.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 16:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
androolia,

As n4dmx said. It is one of two things either a program that you have purposefully installed trying to either send out info or trying to find updates. Like windows update.

Or, a virus or some other form of malware trying to do the same.

Norton should have a log feature that will tell you the name of the program that is trying to get out. Then you can hunt it down and see if it is a good thing and allow it or a bad thing and try to removoe it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2473 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
androolia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3769

Icon 7 posted April 01, 2005 19:45      Profile for androolia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for all of your ideas, I really appreciate it!
androolia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3769

Icon 12 posted April 01, 2005 19:51      Profile for androolia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, Cap'n Vic, point taken.
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 06:42      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrr, I really despise all those anti-viral programmes. They just stop the LAN connection to my room, and stop all my programmes that require internet connection to work.

Yes I know it can be configured to allow them... but I'd rather just watch my back and run Adaware every few days. [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 10:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Now, unless you look like Lindsay Lohan you should expect a few snickers and snide comments.

Of all the women in hollywood and in the rest of the world, don't you think you could have come up with someone better to make reference to than Lindsay Lohan? [Razz]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 14:29      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I know.....but she does have a nice set on her you must admit.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2005 18:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I know, I know.....but she does have a nice set on her you must admit.

Touche. (Believe it or not, no pun intended.)
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brother Dysk
Geek Larva
Member # 3777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 06:36      Profile for Brother Dysk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
alternativley, mandrake or suse [/QB]

Oh ick, ick, ick.

Okay fine, I overreacted - SuSE is acceptable (if troublesome and costly), but Mandrake is verging on being as bad as WinXP. No, whatever the latest Fedora Core is, Gentoo, something Debian-based, or even one of the BSDs would be the way to go. Then run PearPC off one of them, if you must.

Posts: 25 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 06:45      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Dysk:
Okay fine, I overreacted - SuSE is acceptable (if troublesome and costly), but Mandrake is verging on being as bad as WinXP.

I've heard that Mandrake's lifted their game lately, but I haven't verified this myself.

Incidentally, if androolia is still reading this, she might like to consider some sort of a hardware based router or something. Presuming you have a broadband connection, it's a significant benefit to security to do this. Well worth the (comparatively small) cost, IMHO.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2005 08:54      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
.... some sort of a hardware based router or something. ..

make a linksys router into a *nix firewall

much more geeky and a better use of existing equipment
[crazy]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture