homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Need UK geeks' suggestions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need UK geeks' suggestions
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 21:00      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be going to Leeds for 10 days over the Easter holidays(to "meet the family" **pauses for another anxiety attack**)

Tim just moved back to Leeds after 15 years in Manchester so doesn't know all the "tourist' places well. We are going to the Yorkshire dales, Hull(for an Oceanarium-type exhibit), and Wales. Any suggestions for nice places to visit in those areas are welcome.

I love castles and pretty much any body of water/pretty scenery.

Thanks!

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2005 23:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I suggest:

You try to spend at least half your time in the sack [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 01:20      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, not my neck of the woods.

\obscure
Apparently it is a good place to learn chinese. There is a good place above a chemists....

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gem
Newbie Larva
Member # 3711

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 03:04      Profile for Gem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh. Which bit of Wales are you going to? If it's the north I can suggest a few sights.
There are lots of lovely castles up here - Conwy, Caernarfon, Beaumaris, Harlech...
If it's lakes you're after I recommend Cwm Idwal, which is just on the edge of Snowdonia. It's very peaceful and beautiful, if you can appreciate it after puffing and panting your way up a hill to get to it [Wink]
Then there is Snowdon itself, which certainly looks pretty from down here *looks out of window*, but i've not been up there yet myself.
And then there is a beach in Rhyl where they filmed part of an episode of Red Dwarf!... Oh. Just me who's impressed by that then? OK...

Posts: 6 | From: Wales, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 05:30      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, if you're in the Dales, go to Haworth! It's a gorgeous little village in the middle of some amazing countryside. It's where the Bronte sisters were raised, and the Bronte Parsonage Museum there is really interesting - well worth a visit. They also have a lovely little steam railway, plus some beautiful walks roundabout.

Also, if you're a fan of cute little villages that couldn't be more 'English' if they tried, then go to Ilkley. There's a rock formation there called the Cow and Calf which is fun to spend the day rambling around.

Oh yes, and Malham, which has this amazing limestone pavement - we used to have loads of Geography field-trips there, it's really amazing. Plus, they serve the best cream teas in England at a cafe which I can't remember the name of, but is behind the main street, just across the bridge and right next to the brook. Hard to miss.

Skipton, also, has a very famous castle, and a great market on weekends.

All the above places are about a half hour drive from Leeds. [Smile]

Hope some of those sound remotely interesting - of course, my suggestions could seem dull as dishwater to you, but I'm a huge fan of Yorkshire in the spring time, and have spent many a fun Easter in some of those places.

By the way, in Leeds, do as much shopping as you can! The town centre is really amazing, and you shouldn't miss the opportunity to go into Harvey Nicholls and some of the other lovely places in the Victoria Quarter.

Have a great time, snupes [Big Grin]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
moped-rider
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3532

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 10:20      Profile for moped-rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Skipton the place were the caves and the brook petrifies evreything it touches.allso the caves was the home of a very famous whitch.Am i thinking of the rong village? Old mother shipton was the witches name i think. [Confused] Whoops rong village. Knaresborough is the right one this might interest you http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/momship.htm The things she said in 1561ad still amazes me.About 45mins drive from leeds.

--------------------
I wouldnt give him the cheese of me qu** two stroke Eddie. http://www.macclads.co.uk/index.html

Posts: 45 | From: warwickshire england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 10:37      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite part of Yorkshire is the road from Sheffield to Glossop - I think it's called Snake Pass or something... it's very windy and hilly and remote and stuff. That area in general around Chesterfield, Buxton, etc is well neat. Oh - and Saddleworth Moor is quite nice.

As for Wales - if you make it down to the South, then the Wye valley is real perty ( North of Chepstow along the Gloucestershire border). I stayed in a youth hostel there many a yonk ago that was a Norman castle (I slept in the dungeon).

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
moped-rider
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3532

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 11:13      Profile for moped-rider   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one used to be free entry(there is a small entrance fee now [weep] ) http://www.leeds.gov.uk go here and search.Just tried to put the url in its massive sorry [shake head] That is`nt much help either There web site is not very helpfull. its near a place called Roundhay park your brother will no were it is.Hope this is off interest to you. [Smile]

--------------------
I wouldnt give him the cheese of me qu** two stroke Eddie. http://www.macclads.co.uk/index.html

Posts: 45 | From: warwickshire england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2005 20:34      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everybody.

We're going to North Wales for sure, and South IF we have time.

I have forwarded all of your suggestions to my tour guide. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture