homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » ALSA madness... HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALSA madness... HELP!
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 08, 2005 09:52      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trying to get ALSA (the Advanced Linux Sound Archetecture) working on my box for almost 6 months now. I just can not get this to work. I've been through HOW-TO's and everything. Can anyone help?!

I'm running Gentoo Linux with the 2.6.9 kernel. I have two sound cards installed, and I would be equally pleased getting either one to work. One card is a SoundBlaster 16 ISA, the other is reported by "lspci" as "Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)."

Anyone able to help? please?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 10:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had issues with ALSA myself. Rather than try to tweak it have you trid running OSS? It works for me, YMMV.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2471 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 11:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With kernel 2.6.9, you should be able to just compile that baby into the kernel and have it work just like that.

If you've enabled OSS emulation, try:

echo hi > /dev/dsp0

Does it just go back to a prompt or do you get "no such device"?

What does dmesg say?

If you get a prompt on the echo, try cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp0 (WITH THE VOLUME VERY LOW) ... you should just get a bunch of static out of your speakers.

If you get that far, check permissions on the sound devices.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 12:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't tried this with sound, but it worked with X-windows config.....

Boot up with Knoppix (which has insanely good hardware detection/configuration) and if the sound works, have a look at the config files Knoppix generated.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10699 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 13:42      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i assume you have tried running alsaconf as root?

go to your alsa.conf (i think thats what it was) and comment out all the lines reffering to sound devices, let alsaconf sort it out for you.

That worked for me.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 20:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried running alsaconf, which got the FLURRY of error down to just this one. HELP!

Does any of this help?

Behemoth root # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
* Loading ALSA modules...
* Loading: snd-card-0...
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.9-gentoo-r8/kernel/sound/core/snd
.ko): Input/output error [ ok ]
* Restoring Mixer Levels...
* No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card! [ !! ]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2005 21:10      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you edited your /etc/modules.d/alsa?

comment out ALL lines.

run modules-update.

run alsaconf.

thats what fixed it for me.

edit: are you running vanilla or dev kernel?

did you compile manually or run genkernel?

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 13:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SUCCESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got ALSA to work on my linux box with the Cirrus Logic board. [Big Grin]

I had to rebuild my kernel and modules, and I made sure that this time I modularized EVERYTHING required for sound. Then I did a "make clean" before I tried doing anything else, just to make sure I got everything cleared out.

So, after putting the kernel in /boot and double-checking to make sure grub knew what to do with it, I restarted and loaded alsasound by hand. I was amazed when the only error I got was that I hadn't un-muted my card. [Big Grin]

*grooves to The Steve Miller Band, playing on his Linux box*

I'm a picker,
I'm a grinner,
I'm a lover,
and I'm a sinner
I play my music in the sun
.... [Wink]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 14:26      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to threadjack my own thread, I had an interesting post count... right up until I made this post....

-

Hehe... the same as Tut's member number [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture