homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » which magazine to subscribe? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: which magazine to subscribe?
davor
Mini Geek
Member # 3073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 09:04      Profile for davor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure to which magazine to subscribe American Scientist or Popular Science? Which one is better?

--------------------
Davor

http://davortech.wordpress.com

Posts: 51 | From: europe | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 09:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, New Scientist, of course. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 09:23      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer Scientific American ...
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:00      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:

is anyone else thinking Judean Peoples Front?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 24, 2005 10:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for New Scientist too. [thumbsup]

Even better, MacWorld UK, since it has the JoT comic in it. [Razz]

Posts: 8104 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

Splitter!

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Popular Science is complete and utter trash.

And from a CS point of view, still with a healthy dose of the physical/life sciences, I highly recommend Technology Review.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:41      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Modern Drunkard is my fav.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:43      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Don't you mean the Peoples' Front of Judea? [Razz]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 11:03      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Popular Science is trash ... no real info, and 95% of the articles are on either new cars (Zzzzz) or military equipment statistics. Boo!

I prefer Discover, MIT Technology Review, and Scientific American (I subscribe to the first two, and "borrow" a friend's copy of SA whenever I get the chance).

That new Make magazine (by O'Reilly?) might be decent - has anyone heard anything about it?

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 12:21      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get AI Magazine, and that's all. (Though I used to receive MacTech.) If there is any info worth being known, I have Radio-Canada's site, Wired, and the Geek Culture fora! From there, I know how to google if I need to know more.

Closer to the question at hand, Popular science is meant for Average Joe. If you're anywhere over the average, or want serious info, forget it. On the other hand, I'm always cautious of a magazine whose name follows the pattern {country name or adjective}+{field or field-related name}, as they tend to explore news from their geographic area and only overview news from others parts of the world. So I'll also vote for New Scientist.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:27      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:

Don't you mean the Peoples' Front of Judea? [Razz]
I thought we were the Popular Front? [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judean People's Popular Front...????

"Suicide squad, commit suicide..."

But my eyes are weary and my legs are rheumy...

... ... ... (meaningless elipsese, just because...)

[Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 17:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easyriders is a nice educational read.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 17:57      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A relative who lives close by subscribes to Popular Science and gives me the magazines after she's finished with them.

The "Best of what's new" section can be interesting, though I come across most of that information from various websites already. Past that, I've become increasingly disgusted by the politically biased articles and often useless information that make up the other articles of most of their magazines.

I don't subscribe to any of the others mentioned, but I definitely recommend staying away from PopSci.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 04:34      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Technology Review; it's very informative. I agree with the Popular Science comments, as most of them state why I cancelled my subscription several months ago. I haven't read Scientific American...may have to check it out.

quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
That new Make magazine (by O'Reilly?) might be decent - has anyone heard anything about it?

I had been thinking about buying that. I read the /. review when the first issue came out and liked what I heard, so I went ahead and subscribed. I haven't received the first issue yet (though I am supposed to receive the premier issue within the next week or two), but I'll post my thoughts on it when it comes in.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 04:46      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always subscribe to Playboy for the articles...?

hey i get a 40% student discount on New Scientist.

Science has never really been my leaning but I wouldn't mind learning something new. Do you recommend it for a somewhat science noob?

Personally I subscribe to The Economist, Foreign Affairs and Odyssey (a Greek magazine).

I also regularly grab copies of BBC history, History Today and Philosophy Now.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 05:18      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
Personally I subscribe to The Economist...

The Economist* RULES [Big Grin]

-sky

* - But...but... I'm a student!.. shouldn't that be beer?

Would also recommend subscribing to Private Eye and The New Yorker... but neither of these are science-y, so just don't listen to me [Razz]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 05:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Would also recommend subscribing to Private Eye ...

Mmm... defo. What about Viz, Skylie? [Smile]

--------------------

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 05:47      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh, Viz.

It all started when a six year old me innocently asked her fourteen year old cousin: "Whatchya reading?"

I shouldn't have asked.

Viz and I have had a 'special relationship' ever since then... in that, when I'm drunk, I act more like a Viz character than I would ever usually admit [crazy]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 06:47      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
... when I'm drunk, I act more like a Viz character than I would ever usually admit [crazy]

Sooo, which one, precisely? Surely not Biffa Bacon.

Me, I like Norbert Colon - he's tight as a gnat's chuff! [Wink]

--------------------

merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 08:51      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

HA! I wasn't. But, I am now.

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 10:25      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Discovery myself [Razz]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 21:28      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the two choices that you gave in your post, SA is the more "hard science" choice and PS is more pop-culture. The articles in SA are written by people who are actual researchers in the field that they are writing about. PS is written more by journalists. I like both at times for different reasons, but my current fave for science writing is Wired.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orion
Geek
Member # 3439

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 10:58      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any one read edge? published by future publishing?
Posts: 123 | From: cambridge, england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture