homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Anyone know of good war games for PC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone know of good war games for PC?
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 18, 2005 12:12      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for presents for a buddy of mine. He's a pretty hardcore RTS gamer, so he has most stuff that's popular. I'm not really familiar with the genre and I don't know all of what he has. I need either something obscure or something new or coming soon. Anyone know any good RTS war games? Any suggestions are appreciated!
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 13:21      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well some specifications about his machine would be helpful. Is his system Mac or PC for starters, Considering he's hardcore, I assume he must have a fairly fast computer. If he is a PC user, and he doesn't have it yet, Armies of Exigo looks like the next RTS that I will be laying down some cash for.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 13:29      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks like it might be interesting -
teaser for Act of War
It will be released in March, but there's a demo available.

more info here

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 16:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he is hardcore then he probably already has them but the "Total War" series are recommended

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 17:55      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The oldest series on the planet:

Command & Conquer

But then again, if they are serious, they have them all. I also recommend Starcraft, and all the warcraft games, as they are clostly related in idea, even though they are not modern war.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 10:11      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
This looks like it might be interesting -
teaser for Act of War
It will be released in March, but there's a demo available.

more info here

Act of War does look like it's good timing-wise, it comes out right before my friend's b-day. I found a trailer here, too:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/actofwardirectaction/media.html
Do you think that it's something a hardcore RTS gamer would like?

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 09:35      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by splitpeasoup:

Act of War does look like it's good timing-wise, it comes out right before my friend's b-day. I found a trailer here, too:
Do you think that it's something a hardcore RTS gamer would like?

I can't really answer that, as the demo is pc only and I could never be classified as a hardcore gamer, I try but am truly bad at most games [Frown] . Perhaps one of the others can lend an opinion.
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 15:30      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battle for Middle Earth is definitely an awesome RTS game. Online it is great and gives me hours of entertainment. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Rome: Total War is very good as well. [Smile]

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 16:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameGod:
Battle for Middle Earth is definitely an awesome RTS game.

Actually, I've heard the same. If I had free time and free cash I'd look into it, but I'm having trouble keeping up with the games I've got. The LOTR universe just seems perfect for a RTS.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 06:26      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is Empire Earth and they are coming oust with Empire Earth 2 that I am reall excited about. It's a very fun game you can play anything from cave men throwing rockst at each other to 400 years into the futuer and shoot lasers at each other. The game play is very easy and straight foward and You can use so many units it's not even funny. Every thing from Phalenx to Nukes. Tanks, Marines, Calvery, Elaphants, Clubmen, Helicopters, Ect. Ect. The list is huge and they have navies galore. and every time period (About 14) has different units I think there are a total of over 200 in the game. It also gives you a lot of control. And large maps. I can't wait till EE2 comes out for more information you can look here

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 15:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Rise of Nations? That's a fairly decent game, in my humble opinion.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 18:02      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rise of Nations is not particularly exceptional, not to mention it's a Microsoft game [Wink] [Razz]

Empire Earth......now *that* is a good game IMO. Provided is an extensive timeline ranging from the "Nomad Age" to the "Space Age" (including space warfare, population of planets, etc), and as Mac D mentioned, an extensive range of units.

I too, am looking forward to the release of Empire Earth II. The one thing that Rise of Nations had going for it IMO, was the territory system. Opposing armies receiving attrition damage from going into enemy territory, gameplay modes based off of percentage of territory owned, etc. From what I can tell, EEII will have this as well making it pretty much the perfect RTS game. [Smile]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orion
Geek
Member # 3439

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 09:48      Profile for orion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
erm....how about world of warcraft? ff11? BATTLEFIELD 1942?
Posts: 123 | From: cambridge, england | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Luxxie
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3549

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2005 13:00      Profile for Luxxie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally would very highly recommend Battle for Middle Earth, as GameGod suggested. The strategy of the game is rather involved, and the characters are very dynamic. I enjoy controlling Sauron's army the most. We will prevail!!

That reminds me that I need to play again, I have been slacking due to my re-discovered love of Final Fantasy. [blush]

--------------------
I beat the internet;
the end guy was hard!

Posts: 10 | From: Neverland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
war_criminal
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3666

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted March 10, 2005 08:50      Profile for war_criminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately you gotta try Act of War! I tried it because I saw this really cool trailer for it that was done soo well! I am glad that I did!! The graphics are awesome and the storyline is freakishly realistic! But it is one of the best RTS games I have ever played and I cant wait for it to come out! [thumbsup]
I found the trailer at

cubist
Newbie Larva
Member # 3735

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2005 08:10      Profile for cubist         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Act of War's demo looks like a clone of C&C Generals, except harder to play. User interface is confusing and difficult.

Empire Earth II demo is out. It's economy/territory logic is not as advanced as Rise of Nations', it looks more like Medieval Total War, but other than that it looks pretty good.

For graphics you should look at Empires Dawn of Modern World.
Best graphics of any RTS so far.

Rise of Nations has the best logic, altho the graphics are not as good.

Then there's Homeworld 2 if you like 3D...

Posts: 5 | From: East Central Indiana | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture