homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » night vison infrared webcam?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: night vison infrared webcam?
sitor
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 13:59      Profile for sitor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
recently i've been the victim of vandalism to my car, unfortunately i don't have the luxury of a garage and have to park outside on a dimly lit road. In my quest to catch the little swines i've found out that webcams can be linked to software which will record when activated by motion. However have no idea which is the best webcam for mainly nighttime use and what determines the final picture quality?
any advice, makes of webcams would be greatly appreciated

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 05, 2005 14:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies on your vandalised car. [Frown]

The same thing happened to Nitro and I... we set up our older Sony handicam in an attempt to catch the rats that slashed our tires. It has a night vision feature. If you're looking for webcams, that's the route i would choose, the optics and options are much better than those on simple webcams... try to find a used one maybe.

We ran tapes all night, but just as easily could have hooked it up to our webcam software for recording. Most webcam software has motion detection features now.

Motion lights and such are good protection too, we lit up our cars like a scene from The Omega Man. But in the end, if the slimes want to wreck your stuff, they will find ways to do it. [Frown]

We ended up moving to get the hell outta there. [ohwell]

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2005 17:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sitor_____At one time the X-10 people had a camera that had a ring of IR LEDS that fit around the lense it was attivated by a motion sensor I do not know if that product is still in production, also look at those home survalence cameras and monitors available, I have and old RCA outside guard type that is very IR sensitive, the model is 2000 and I am quite sure that it is no longer in production. it is high current in that it uses a video tube not a CCD so there is no way you coud hook it up wireless unless you have some monster batteries

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 10:07      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all digital cameras will work well with IR. The CCD's are sensitive to light well into the IR range. Sometimes (but not very often) you will get a camera that has an IR filter on it.

So the problem then is that you need to get an IR light source. The little rings around a camera don't do much over 10-15 feet. Do some googling for an IR spotlight

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
sitor
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3188

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2005 14:58      Profile for sitor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's great , thanks guys [Smile]
sorry just one more question i have a digital camera, is it a case of getting the right software to link it to the pc?

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2005 07:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put up one of those signs that reads:

"This car being protected by an angry gun-toting redneck 4 days out of the week. You guess which 4."

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
int21
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4868

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 03:05      Profile for int21         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i have a digital camera, is it a case of getting the right software to link it to the pc? [/QB]
Willing Webcam is compatible with most USB-based or FireWire (IEEE 1394) video devices, including capture cards, webcams, camcorders, tv tuners, parallel-port cameras. It can also work with IP Network cameras.
Willing Webcam

eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 3 posted February 01, 2006 21:23      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A neighbor of mine has the same problem. He figures it is with his daughter's X.

We looked at WalMart's $80 night vision remote cam. Cost effective and resaleable once you're done with it.

CM812T

If you are good with your electronics tool kit...

How to make a webcam work in infra red

Just depends on your finding a web cam for cheap that's listed. eBay has those Alaris Wee Cam's for cheap that Earthlink used to give away with
sign ups, and all you have to do is remove the coating from it's lense to make one IR ready.

At snapfiles.com freeware there are some ap's that may work for this project.

Web Cam Broadcasting

My pick is the Teamresearchinc.com item as it's just easy to use remotely and can be hidden, hooked up to VCR to record video evidence. Looking down from above would be a good vantage
for filming any illegal activities.

There are motion detectors which can switch the recording on and even signal a buzzer beside your bed.(so you can call the police when you see your monitor has vandals being recorded on video)
and then hopefully run them off before they can steal anything.

Good luck.

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 22:11      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using this camera (if the link times out it is a "Wisecom Mini Color Camera w/Night Vision and Audio")
It is a basic camera with a 100 ft cable for $39.47.
It is rated for indoor use and can't be pointed at a window.
The link in my sig file will take you to my feed.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture