homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Buying MP3s or CDAs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying MP3s or CDAs
OffroadGirl
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3090

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted December 25, 2004 13:50      Profile for OffroadGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are a bunch of sites where you can download Windows Media format and then iTunes does some other thing, but where can you buy MP3s? Is that even possible?

Both cars have MP3 players, it's all I listen to. At this point I have to buy CDs and rip the songs to another compilation disk. It would be cheaper if I could buy MP3s.

If I could buy single CDAs that would work too, though not as convenient.

TIA

Posts: 11 | From: Westminster, CO USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2004 14:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not an iTunes store customer (we aussies aren't allowed to, you never know what we might get up to) but as I understand it, the copy protection system they use does allow a limited number of copies to be burned to CD, either in CD audio, or MP3.

Any actual iTunes customers care to confirm or deny this?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2004 15:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can burn to CDs as many times as you want - the limitation is that you can only burn a single playlist a certain number of times (~10). Then you pretty much just have to rearrange the list, and you're cool (or you could just dupe the darn thing [Wink] ). Apple is quite liberal about their DRM - they're probably one of the best ones out there. I'm still staying away from giving them my CC#, lest I spend too much money on it (and I can't use it on my Linux machine yet [unless I get Codeweavers' Crossover] - nor does it support Oggs). I'm getting increasingly tempted to buy an iPod, though...and I must say that I also love iTunes as a music player. Both things need to support Oggs, though - that would make me such a happy dragon, and would probably lead me to run out and get an iPod. [Big Grin] (Do you hear that, Apple? [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2004 20:44      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*

One thing I've found particularly useful when attempting to play iTunes purchased music on systems/platforms that don't support the DRM...burn it as is allowed but then re-rip to whatever format preferred...

*cough* *cough*

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2004 21:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
*cough*

One thing I've found particularly useful when attempting to play iTunes purchased music on systems/platforms that don't support the DRM...burn it as is allowed but then re-rip to whatever format preferred...

*cough* *cough*

You must remember, however, that mp3 and ogg, and wma, etc, are all lossy compression formats. Meaning that when uncompressed into wav or cdr, they are *not* exact replicas of the song before ripping. Pretty close, but not exact.

Unfortunately, every time you take a compressed tune, and uncompress it, and recompress it, you lose a little bit more of its quality.

My $0.02 (CAD)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2004 05:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleep from warp records (small indy record company) will sell you unDRM-ed MP3's. But they only sell their catalogue. It does have all of aphex twins work though.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
OffroadGirl
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3090

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2004 08:56      Profile for OffroadGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I just might have to jump on the bandwagon after all.
Posts: 11 | From: Westminster, CO USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture