homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » More than music w/ an iPod?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More than music w/ an iPod?
ThBull
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2838

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted November 29, 2004 09:13      Profile for ThBull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Christmas I am hoping to replace an old broken Handspring PDA with an iPod-mini, I can only afford to spend $250. I mainly used the PDA for contact info.

I am looking forward to using the iPod, but would like to utilize it for more than just music.

Question 1:
What web sites are good for non-music related iPod info?

Question 2:
How are you using the iPod?

TIA,
Thbull

--------------------
Perhaps today!

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 09:28      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use ours for Music.

But the reson for me responding is that we got ours at a pawn shop cheap. It was in fine condition and it works well. Also if you go to Apple web store you can find some deals on the iPods if you absolutly need it new.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 12:06      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have an iPod. [blush]

But my son who does tells me the main place to go for all podtype questions is the iPod lounge. There is also a forum there where expert podsters should be able to answer the most arcane of poddy queries.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 12:49      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask for a refurbished one. They're still in near-mint condition, with the exception of the back silver part. But that just looks like it will after a week or two anyway, and you can polish it or do the "brushed metal effect" thing (google for it - I'm too lazy to find the link).

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 13:11      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also check your local Best Buy, CompUSA or Circuit City for "Open Box" returns. The Best Buy near me has a 3G 15 gig open box for $179. It is a bit scuffed up on the screen and the back but comes with the full 1 year warranty and you can buy the store replacement plan for $40 for 2 years coverage. I bought my 1st 5 gig iPod as an open box and got the 2 year replacement plan from CompUSA. at month 18 it failed, they replaced it with a brand new 15 gig [Big Grin]

I do sync my contacts and date book to my iPod, it's nice to have but my Treo PDA phine has all that info too.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2004 14:02      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are so many options for you.

First is price. I understand your money concerns, but if you are a student or know a student, you can get your very own full fledged 20 g iPod for $269 from Apple's website. Put some thought into that.

Second you want to use it as more than a music player. I understand I do the very same thing. If you have a Mac, I recommend using a program called iPodit. It works very closely with Office 04.

If you are not using a Mac, there are other programs avaible. I used to have a PC and used a program that exported the info from teh Palm Software.

The best place to look for software and most of it is free by the way is at www.ipodlounge.com, its a good website.

Good luck.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ThBull
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 14:36      Profile for ThBull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will try to get the 20gigger! I notice that the 20GB does not come with the craddle, I can still connect/recharge via the firewire cable correct?

If I spend the $270 I need to be sure I can connect/recharge from my work Powerbook G4.

Thnx

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 17:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThBull:
I will try to get the 20gigger! I notice that the 20GB does not come with the craddle, I can still connect/recharge via the firewire cable correct?

Correct.

In fact, if you're planning on getting a carry case to protect your new toy, you'll probably find you don't use the cradle much anyway, it's just easier to leave it in the case and plug it directly into the cable.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture